Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently: Electric Boogaloo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a film to make ones debut in and still have a career! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Room 237

Not a great documentary or even exploration of Kubrick's vision for the Shining by any stretch but some of the crackpot theories are hilarious. Subliminal sexual messages guy being the highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

Room 237
    Subliminal sexual messages guy being the highlight.

Dunno what the hell that guy was on about, I couldn't see anything dodgy in that particular scene. It says more about him than anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Maze - So, for the most part, this is a fairly harmless slice of 1953 ham. A nice atmosphere, clunky exposition, a decent sense of mystery - for 70 minutes this is cheesy but watchable nonsense. Then the big reveal happens. It arrives like a slap to the face: a twist of such sheer whatthe****ery I can only say it is the single most absurd third act revelation I have ever, ever come across in a film. Worth watching just for the brazen, having-a-laugh attitude of the filmmakers: a twist so profoundly stupid it might just be brilliant. Certainly as a comedic climax there's nothing like it whatsoever, and promotes a bland B-Movie to a must watch

House (Hausu) - About time for the annual rewatch of this peerless masterpiece. Everytime I watch it, it shoots higher up my favourite films lists. Nobuhiko Ôbayashi throws pretty much every trick he has at the screen, and the acid trip that follows is just as fresh the third time around. An aesthetic assault of cinematic ADHD, it is not for everyone (as illustrated by the divided responses within the two different groups I have show it to) but give yourself completely over to this mad tale of a haunted house, roll with its eccentricities and you might just find yourself bewitched. I'd say it's my favourite horror film, but if ever a film has danced around simplistic generic divisions it is House.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 SnakeDrake

The stuff - worse than it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" (1974) YouTube via Wii.
    Warren Oates - directed by Sam Peckinpah (Straw Dogs, Cross of Iron etc. etc). A movie with a very high body count but all in the best possible taste.

A Mexican rancher's daughter becomes pregnant by a notorious gigolo (Alfredo Garcia) and the rancher literally puts a bounty on his head. Oates, through his girlfriend, knows of the whereabouts of Garcia - accidentally killed in a car crash - and sets off to dig up and decapitate his bounty. However, when things don't go to plan, the quest for the promised reward turns to one for revenge.

Seen several times before but enjoyed again. 10/10

*snip*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Judgement Day, please stop posting embeds of full films on YouTube. 9.9 times out of ten they are there illegally.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Way Back

Based on what they thought was a true story but has since been debunked this is the story of a group of prisoners who escape a Gulag in Siberia and trek south to Mongolia, then on into China and India.

The first hour or so is really good, then it just gets a bit repetitive and boring. It's about half an hour too long and as much as I like Saoirse Ronan I really don't get why her character was there at all.

Judgement Day, please stop posting embeds of full films on YouTube. 9.9 times out of ten they are there illegally.

Sorry - didn't realise that I shouldn't post. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So with another redundant remake of a classic on the way, I decided to re-watch Carrie (1976) to see how it holds up today, having not watched it in years. Plus it's Halloween so it seemed natural to break out some classics of horror.

It remains a classic, no question, but perhaps not really a horror film in the strictest sense - though it is most definitely a heart-wrenching psychological tragedy. While everyone knows the infamous scene of Sissy Spacek going nuts after being pranked at the prom (by John Travolta, trivia fans), that scene wouldn't have worked so well if the preceding 75 minutes didn't turn the screw so artfully; DePalma understanding that nothing is truly tragic unless we understand what has been lost, and how close things came to going the other way. I still wonder if Tommy had genuinely fallen for the pity date, but I guess we'll never know!

That said, one thing that counts against the film is just how dated it has become. Some movies survive the era they're made and become timeless as a result, but regrettably, Carrie isn't one of them. It's so 70s it's hilarious; the perms alone have to be seen to be believed - and that's just on the men. Also, half the cast look about 5-10 years older than the teenagers they're meant to be playing.

I'm curious to know how the remake will go down, but going by its trailers it looks like a standard case of replacing all the subtly and humanity with over-stylised, flashy visuals and violence. Even the choice for Carrie seems wrong: Spacek looked the part, and gave a wonderfully physical & nervous performance, with her unconventional beauty lending credibility as the teenage outcast (extra trivia - she's 27 in this!) Chloe Moretz on the other hand looks like the kind of girl that would have been bullying Carrie in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Ever Since the World Ended (2001)

Mocumentary of life in a post apocalyptic San Francisco. Covers quite a few ethical issues, and is for the most part plausible despite the shoestring budget. Worth a look. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Silver Linings Playbook

Finally got to watch it.
    Now that was good. But as much as Lawrence's performance got so much praise, Cooper is perfect. His breakdowns, his relationship with his father and so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched World War Z last night, didn't think I would enjoy it, but I did.

"Went the Day Well" (1942) on a Daily Mail promo DVD.

I couldn't find this in any of my local charity shops and ended up having to buy it on eBay but it was worth the effort! One one from the surprisingly rare genre of 'alternative history' movies - think "When the Eagle has Landed" and "It Happened Here" and you have a fair idea. Interestingly though, this film was made in 1942 when the outcome of WWII was still in the balance and one shudders to think what the Nazis authorities would have done with the film-makers had they won the war.

WENT+THE+DAY+WELL.JPG

The film is set in a small English village in the days before a full scale German invasion is due to start. A large detachment of German parachutists arrive in the village disguised as British soldiers.......Propaganda -yes - but highly realistic and well acted. A keeper. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watched World War Z last night, didn't think I would enjoy it, but I did.

after first trying to see if there was ANYTHING else to watch, I had a look at this over the weekend also. Was expecting virtually nothing from it but found it to be very enjoyable and moved along really quickly. Not half the film it could have been if they had dont a proper book adaptation well, but still good. I'd watch the inevitable sequel.

also watched "Red Rock West". Den of Geek are doing a series of lists of 25 underappreciated films from each of the 1990's at the moment and this featured a few weeks back so decided to watch it. I loved it. I'm a sucker for anything that Nic Cage does (and any film that has at least one scene of an old Dodge driving through a desert road!) and so was always going to enjoy it at least a bit! Denis Hopper is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

World War Z - Awesome
    The Purge - They accidental gave us The Big Wedding initially, I wish now we had watched it instead of this atrocity. I feel sorry for anyone who caught this on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Quiz Show:
    Brilliant. This is almost a perfect film!!

The Purge:
    Was an average "Home Invasion" style film, with a high concept setup. It brushed off some social commentary that could have made a better film if it had gone that way, but at 85 minutes or so it didn't try for anything more.

Cruising:
    An average whodunnit serial killer story with lots of underground gay club scenes in the first half (it really rubs that in your face). The second half just went into the usual thriller mode. The club scenes were really superfluous. Just there to cause some controversy, I can't see any other reason for them! Had never seen this before, so was disappointed.

Laura:
    Knew nothing about this film before watching it, which is a good thing. Very good thriller. Interesting characters and storyline. Definitely worth a watch. My wife wasn't interested in watching this, but was glued to it all the way through!

R.I.P.D.
    At first I thought this was going to have an offbeat sense of humour, but it quickly went into autopilot. Knocking off the whole Men in Black setup and following a very average storyline and climax. Ryan Reynolds is the kiss of death for any film!

The Conjuring:
    I'm not big on horror films, but this one ticked all the boxes. I'd say I've seen all the tricks here in films before, but it does work. Nice and creepy, but doesn't break any moulds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Disconnect 2012
    This movie will probably be on Sky Premiere for the rest of the week, but UPC has the wrong movie info in their TV listings.

Great film about how people use the internet and the different ways they use it to damage others. The story is centered around a homeless teenager, two families and a reporter and how they're finding it hard to communicate to one and other but yet they can express their feelings trough social media. Great stories and well acted, not your run of the mill drama.

Stars; Jason Bateman, Paula Patton and Andrea Riseborough

A Man Vanishes - Shohei Imamura toes a fine line between documentary and fiction in this offbeat film. Focusing on a single disappeared man, Imamura is less concerned with tracking him down then trying to build up a picture of him and his closest friends / family / colleagues / girlfriend. Soon, the documentary crew become a part of the story themselves, navigating their way through the film alongside the 'subjects'. It's fascinating, weird and purposefully maddening, and another gem from one of cinema's most under appreciated directors.

The Selfish Giant - I'm not a big fan of miserable British social realism. It's just a style I find hard to connect with at times, even if I can admire great examples of it from a distance without getting fully involved. For most of its running time, Clio Barnard's film conforms to type: a well-told if familiar tale of two troubled boys taking up scrapping instead of heading to school - well performed by a violently hyperactive (Conned Chapman) and the more gentle but easily persuaded Swifty (Shaun Thomas). It's all expertly put together and beautifully shot, although it didn't completely hook me.

But there's this creeping dread about the film, which escalates continuously, leading to a harrowing third act which is some of the most intense, upsetting cinema I've seen recently. Here, Barnard's lack of music, thoughtful cinematography and fantastic young stars grabbed my attention completely, and I was left in a minor state of shock when the credits rolled (the whole cinema was the same). Mightn't go as far as some of the more gushing responses to the film (even at its best moments it offers a rather predictable tale - it's the delivery that makes it), but it's certainly a work that takes its time to earn your undivided attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Leap Year - so bad its good. Amy Adams is by far the best thing in it. The Irish accents are appaling (even the natives have crap accents). Its cliched and formulaic and everybody knows whats going to happen at the end.

• Advertisement

marwelie wrote: »
    Leap Year - so bad its good. Amy Adams is by far the best thing in it. The Irish accents are appaling (even the natives have crap accents). Its cliched and formulaic and everybody knows whats going to happen at the end.

Disagree. So bad it's a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Monsters U - meh, not great, some good moments but poor.

Pacific Rim - I love it

Man of Tai Chi - Loved it

Man of Steel - very impressed with this!

The Heat - meh female lead comedy :/

Kick Ass 2 - it was ok over all, some very good moments tho

This is the End - surprisingly very good fun!

Simon Killer - atmospheric portrait of a troubled American graduate's (Brady Cobert) grim misadventures in Paris. A sort of thriller, this doesn't necessarily go the way we might expect due to the protagonist's rushed, impulsive planning and his constant disrespect for the women he manages to woo. It's a tale of modern masculinity gone disgustingly wild, and a strong critique of the same. Directed by Antonio Campos, the recurring visual and script references to eyes are constantly reminding us to not trust Simon's point of view, as the story is very much told from his unhinged perspective. Even during the inevitable turn towards the violent, Simon's loneliness and desperation mean things play out in a rather different manner than we'd perhaps suspect. A cinematography treat too, with cleverly framed long takes and careful, creeping movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Recently watched:

White House Down - thought it was ok for what it is, expected it to be rubbish but it was grand.

Pacific Rim - say so looking forward to this and what a letdown, wooden acting and awful script. I left my brain at the door but still found it to be dire.

Man o Steel - I liked the way they set it up to an extent but didn't care much for what followed. Poor. Where were the overpants??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Man of Steel - I thought it was pretty decent, but it did rely too much on battle after battle .... look what else we can do with CGI ....

Ted - AWFUL !!! Drivel .... just watch the trailer you see the best parts,
    it's like a bad episode of Family Guy ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Went to the cinema to watch Bad Grandpa last night. Thought it was brilliant. Havent laughed so much at a movie in ages.

I thought the scene where they were trying to sell the bed was hilarious. Nearly puked laughing.

El Mucho Ding Dong!

Le Weekend - Was concerned this was going to just be a middle of the road European holiday film, but colour me surprised. A smart, often subtle, portrait of a long married couple attempting to enliven their marriage with a weekend away in Paris. Jim Broadbent and Lindsay Duncan are excellent as the leads, but it's an hilarious Jeff Goldblum who sweeps in late in the game to steal the screen. They all benefit from a tightly honed script. Managing a neat balance between triumph and tragedy throughout, it's almost as if it's a preview of the 2033 Before Sunset sequel. A modest, intelligent success.

Nosferatu - a delight to see on the big screen. I'd still count Sunrise and Tabu as my favourite Murnau films, but this is a masterful symphony of night. Poetic editing, stunning interplay of light and shadow, cinema's most iconic monster: this birthed many of the tropes of horror cinema, but it's own utilisation of what are now cliches still come across as fresh and exciting. Few moments in cinema can fill us with dread quite like the arrival of a ghostly vessel into the port of Wisborg.

Short Term 12

Set in a short term foster care facility where Grace, and her not so secret boyfriend Mason, are two of the carers looking after a bunch of troubled teens.
    On paper there's nothing new here, kids are troubled, so are the adults, the adults help the kids who are also helping the adults etc. etc.
    The fantastic cast and the directing choices from Destin Cretton raise this film above pretty much anything else of the same setting, and even most of the other films I've seen this year. Brie Larson stands out as Grace. It's pretty obvious from the start what it is she's not telling Mason, but she delivers everything in such a way that you never feel like you're supposed to feel sorry for her or pity her. Of course you do feel these things, and a lot more, but there's no emotional manipulation, no "here's the sad bit" score, no cloying sentiment when they're dealing with the kids' problems.
    The kids are all excellent too, all of them unknown maybe even brand new to acting. As I said above there's no deliberate attempt to make you sad or feel anything other than what you would naturally feel when told any of their stories. They don't even delve that deep into any of the issues at hand. It's like Grace tells new care worker Nate at the start, you're not here to be their parent or their therapist, you're here to create a safe environment for them. And that's exactly what you see. There's no attempt to solve the problems or "cure" the kids or pass judgement on anyone, it's just a brief glimpse into this world and once you leave it carries on.

That was probably very rambley and might not have made sense but to sum it up... well worth seeking this one out while it's making it's (probably) brief appearance in the cinemas at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The Purge.

What an absolute joke of a film. Utterly absurd from start to finish.

I could list at least 50 plot holes in this dire excuse of a movie, but suffice it to say I won't be going anywhere near the sequel.

**minor spoilers below for anyone unfortunate enough to want to see this turd**

I also don't get the great premise people are talking about. The premise doesn't make an ounce of sense! Somehow the crime levels in the future US have gone so low, the leader of future America (See Idiocracy) now gives his or her citizens a free 12 hour pass to rape, molest, abuse, rob, kill, burn, torture whomever or whatever they like. So instead of robbing and murdering the rich, white folk and actually profiting from their sudden psychopathic need to kill and stuff, citizens prefer to off the poorer members of society instead just for racist shits and giggles. How businesses manage to get insured in this great new country is a mystery... There must be a looting clause somewhere perhaps.

Also, don't go into labour, have a heart attack, stroke or get really sick, because all the emergency services and hospitals are suspended for 12 hours. Great time for a terrorist attack don't you think? Although nuking such a dumb country probably wouldn't be so important to terrorists any more, seeing as it's people are such brainwashed morons, they have essentially become dribbling amoral savages.

Suddenly, at 7am the next day (be careful you're not in the middle of decapitating or raping at the time, leaving the job half finished, risking getting arrested at 7.01), you become a fine upstanding member of society again. Don't worry that your jealous neighbours just tried to massacre your family, at 7am it's back to daily pleasantries and dinner parties.

I won't even begin to describe how mind numbingly, astoundingly stupid the main family and their foe were from start to finish. Almost as mind numbingly stupid as this script. I feel dumber having watched it.

A generous 1 out of 10. Ethan Hawke, I am so disappointed in you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,305 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Drinking Buddies - another mumblecore director graduates to the relative big time in Joe Swanberg's relationship drama. If you've been anticipating the film set in the world of craft beer (aka if you're a hipster ;)) this is a good start. A relationship drama/comedy focused on two couples, both seemingly destined to break up and pair off with the others. Nothing major happens - a misjudged, awkward kiss is the film's most dramatic incident - but nothing happens well: subtle direction and acting ensuring sexual tension and underlying lusts are implied through glances and seemingly innocent interactions. Everything is boiling underneath the surface, and things don't exactly go as formula would traditionally dictate, opting for something a tad more ambiguous.

Worth watching primarily to finally see Olivia Wilde give the sort of charismatic performance Hollywood has consistently denied her. Equally impressive work from Jake Johnson and Anna Kendrick, the latter of whom further proves she deserves better roles. One of the supporting roles is played by Ti West of House of the Devil fame, which is the kind of geeky detail that is always fun to discover. Nothing remarkable, but a very watchable, well crafted little film.

Caught this in Cineworld last night and loved it. Very natural story, dialogue and performances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement