Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating tips?

• 20-08-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

I will be sitting the leaving cert this year as a repeat and just came looking for some tips:
    I am studying Spanish,Geography,Irish,English,Biology and Chemistry :)
    Does anyone who has repeated before or any of the boardsies who recently got their results have any tips on these individual subjects?
    Aiming for 500+ points and am fully capable of getting it as I am very good at languages and Geography.Also Chemistry remains my achilles heel but not sure as to whether to take up another subject and drop chemistry all together...
    Which subjects would be handy providing put in the work to get at least a B2? :P
    Thanks so much for any help I receive as I feel I have already failed myself once and want to set the records straight!
    It will be a slog but hoping a 100 points increase will be at the end of the tunnel.
    Thanks guys! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

David1994 wrote: »
    I will be sitting the leaving cert this year as a repeat and just came looking for some tips:
    I am studying Spanish,Geography,Irish,English,Biology and Chemistry :)
    Does anyone who has repeated before or any of the boardsies who recently got their results have any tips on these individual subjects?
    Aiming for 500+ points and am fully capable of getting it as I am very good at languages and Geography.Also Chemistry remains my achilles heel but not sure as to whether to take up another subject and drop chemistry all together...
    Which subjects would be handy providing put in the work to get at least a B2? :P
    Thanks so much for any help I receive as I feel I have already failed myself once and want to set the records straight!
    It will be a slog but hoping a 100 points increase will be at the end of the tunnel.
    Thanks guys! :D

David, why bother with English? Do you not have to do new novel, play etc? Plus it is two papers so it will take up more of your time during the exams. Would you not be better off picking up a new option? If you are doing biology would you consider ag science?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Millem wrote: »
    David, why bother with English? Do you not have to do new novel, play etc? Plus it is two papers so it will take up more of your time during the exams. Would you not be better off picking up a new option? If you are doing biology would you consider ag science?

Well I am going to keep English because it is one of my strongest subjects. I do not mind having to learn some new plays or novels..I like reading anyways so it is no hassle :D
    As for ag science I was thinking of doing it but would it be manageable in a year? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

David1994 wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »

Well I am going to keep English because it is one of my strongest subjects. I do not mind having to learn some new plays or novels..I like reading anyways so it is no hassle :D
    As for ag science I was thinking of doing it but would it be manageable in a year? :)

I know nothing about ag science as We don't teach it in our school but the repeat college beside us does and it is a very popular choice there especially if you do biology. What didugly get in chemistry? I reckon 100 points extra is definitely achievable, when I repeated my LC the school told us that is what most people will improve by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

i agree if you are strong at Biology would be handy enough to take up ag. science as ag.science has a lot of biology in it, and the biology in it is very basic, also obviously there is farming stuff on it too but it would be worthwhile to consider taken it up.

it looks like i too will be repeating doing maths, applied maths, physics, biology, ag.science and business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Do Accounting if its available to you.Its easy to get a high grade.A lot of the questions are similar and there's a lot of choice on the paper and its very predictable.

Chavways wrote: »
    Do Accounting if its available to you.Its easy to get a high grade.A lot of the questions are similar and there's a lot of choice on the paper and its very predictable.
    me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

aarond280 wrote: »
    me ?

Both of ye.Its easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Both of ye.Its easy enough once you get the hang of it.
    oh alright that wouldve been awkward if ya werent ha ano i might as i like maths :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

It probably would be a good choice if I was anyway inclined to liking Business :P
    Also accounting in the Junior Cert was the part I hated most about Business.
    Thanks so much for the advice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Accounting is my strongest recommendation to take up in a repeat year. It may be difficult at the start but it gets easier the more you practice and has a 21% A grade i think.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Accounting is my strongest recommendation to take up in a repeat year. It may be difficult at the start but it gets easier the more you practice and has a 21% A grade i think.
    Really worth considering thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I would highly recommend ag science. It's a fantastic subject to do as a repeat in my opinion and it's an added bonus if you also do biology as I think there's around a 40% overlap between ag science and biology. The project is time consuming but I think if you make a huge effort with it it's very handy to already have 25% of your exam completed before the written exam. This 25% includes the project, experiments and animal and plant identifications by the way.:)

Advertisement