Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Triail Help!!!

• 20-08-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am going into my final year of secondary school and I have missed probably all of my Irish classes (I wasn't mitching, its a personal reason). I didn't even touch "An Triail". Could somebody tell me what exactly I need to know about this book. Should I attempt to read all of it or would summaries and a few character analysis' do? Really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

You basically need to have a solid summary of the story, and be able to relate the title of the question to your summary.

For example: If they ask you how an triail shows hypocrisy, write the summary but at the end of each sentence write how this particular point in the play shows hypocrisy.

It's always good to learn off a few opening and closing paragraphs for different themes like Tragedy or Hypocrisy.

You should also know character profiles very well. Not just the main ones, they could ask about any character really.

B1 in irish, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have you actually looked through the book?
    It's one of the shortest books on the course, you could read it in 2 days

You need the summary of the story as it comes up nearly every year, and then write down a character analysis for all the main character Maire, Bean Ui Chathasaigh, Padraig...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Make sure to know information about the minor characters also in the event of a question coming up ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

For the love of god learn the techniques used in the drama. You're probably like wtf right now but honestly I was certain it'd come up this June but it didn't so I think it's a definite next year....

Just learn loads of quotes, traits of characters, themes, key moments and now the gist of it....that's only a few topics that could come up though...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

There is nothing definite for this year. You probably won't get our question on hypocrisy, but you really can't predict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    There is nothing definite for this year. You probably won't get our question on hypocrisy, but you really can't predict.

Want to make a little wager? :P

Yeah you're right no body will know for sure until the day but I've such a strong feeling it's due. It's answered poorly every time it's asked and with the increase in the number of people doing HL Irish it'd be a handy way to catch people. It truly is a rotten question. I would have struggled terribly if it came up....and I got an A2....we'll have to wait and see I guess :L

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

If you're really worried, there's a great little red book by Diamaid Ó Tuama, 'An Triail; Scagadh agus Nótaí Cuimsitheacha', (published by CJ Fallon) that goes through notes for the characters and a good few themes. As everyone has said, don't forget the minor characters (: Don't panic too much about it though; you've a year to manage it. Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat (:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dandaman2764

Thanks very much for the help. Much appreciated and fair play on your LC results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

If you're in Dub OP I've notes on the play from a well known educational facility that I'd be happy to give you. I'm a repeat student after many years away from irish and they served me well. PM me if interested. Hope that's ok mods.

Advertisement