Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* CAO available / vacant places *

• 20-08-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    I have received an offer for my second choice. I would prefer my third choice but I know I cannot have it, so I will apply for a vacant course tomorrow. If I accept my current offer will I still be offered the vacant course next round or my first choice? All of these are level 7.

Thanks,

(this should be my last thread for help)

Also the course that I would like to apply for (vacant one) is Griffiths College in Dublin, computing level 7. It always has slots open, is there any reason why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You could still be offered either the vacant place OR your first choice if it became available. As always with CAO, ensure the amended order of the list reflects your actual course preference.

Read the info at the link below carefully; I have quoted the bits that are especially important from your point of view.

CAO Vacant places info

- Available/Vacant place course codes may only be inserted higher in your list of preferences than any offer which you have received to date.

- If you still wish to be considered for any existing courses, you must insert all available place courses below those you wish to retain.

- If you have already applied to CAO this year, then an Available Places application is not separate to your existing application, you are inserting courses into your existing list of course choices.

- The Available Places application procedure is similar to the Change of Mind procedure. However, except for courses in which available places have been advertised, you may not re-order your original course choices.

- Remember to follow the fundamental rule of the CAO application system, i.e. place your course choices in genuine order of preference. If you place an Available Place course as your first preference and you get an offer on this course, then you will not be offered any course lower in your order of preference.

- Acceptance of an offer of an Available Place automatically cancels and supersedes any previous offer(s) and acceptance(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yungwan7k88

So to all of us who are now considering The Available place option this is a thread just to keep people up to date on things ;) please people new info keep it up to date please.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CatchingFire

I didn't know about this until today, sigh, where have I been?:rolleyes: Hope this works out for everyone

I presume we're talking about the Available / Vacant Places facility through the CAO? :)

Please bear in mind that only a very small number of places are offered through this facility each year, and don't get your hopes up *too* high! That said, you could be lucky and it's certainly worth keeping an eye on it if you're not happy with what you've been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 yungwan7k88

Just looking out for any Dit lvl8 associated with business and Nci lvl 8 if ucd and them come up im just keeping tight fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 freshprince

So if I were to accept my current offer of my second choice, and replace my 2nd choice with a vacant place. Would I still keep my second choice course if i do not get into the vacant one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Is there a list of vacant places anywhere ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Can you defer a vacant place until next year if you are offered it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi,

Also the course that I would like to apply for (vacant one) is Griffiths College in Dublin, computing level 7. It always has slots open, is there any reason why?

Cost is often a factor. As its a private college tuition fees are attached to all courses and its not covered by the Dept of Ed free fee scheme or grant support. You can apply to revenue for tax relief.
    Fee details here: http://www.gcd.ie/assets/Uploads/pdfs/Fees/fees-10-08-2012/Full-Time-Undergraduate-Fee-List-2012-13.pdf

On the CAO website there is a link to all current available places: http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pinksparkle

if we accept a course we have been offered and apply for a vacant place can we still get offered it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pinksparkle

If i accept an offer can i be offered a place still on a vacant place course?

So if I were to accept my current offer of my second choice, and replace my 2nd choice with a vacant place. Would I still keep my second choice course if i do not get into the vacant one?
    The vacant place must be higher on the list (when you re-order it) than the place you have already been offered, please read carefully the info at the link above.

If you have accepted your first round offer, then you have it unless you accept a later offer made in Round 2, including that of a vacant place.
    The link in my first post on this thread goes to the Vacant Places section of the CAO website. There you will find really essential info about the process, AND a big link at the top right hand corner to the actual list of vacant places!
    If i accept an offer can i be offered a place still on a vacant place course?
    Yes, if you qualify for it.

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hi,
    I have received an offer for my second choice. I would prefer my third choice but I know I cannot have it, so I will apply for a vacant course tomorrow. If I accept my current offer will I still be offered the vacant course next round or my first choice? All of these are level 7.

Thanks,

(this should be my last thread for help)

Freshprince - any reason for GCD? Do you know that it's a private, fee-paying college (B.Sc. In Computing (HETAC Level 7)
    €4,955.00 per year, this is from gcd.ie)

Also, you can apply directly to GCD, even if you have applied for courses via the CAO. You should call them tomorrow 01 415 0400 they will tell you immediately how best to get on the course.

http://www.gcd.ie/bsco/

Why does this course always have places? There are 4950 reason why - (there is tax relief at 20% on this fee.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Wait WTF so can I get into Psychology?

Would you like to elaborate on and clarify your question? :P

Advertisement