Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone "feedback"

• 20-08-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have 2 microphones that use to talk to friends and to play games and people are telling me that i am getting this "feedback" which is like a strange squeal. This happens for boths mics. I decided to record my voice and i heard it. I googled it and realised i should turn disconnect my headphones when i am recording because apparently that causes loops of sound which creates the squealing. This didnt help. I went into windows 7's sound options (typing "sound" into the search bar), clicked on the recording tab, right clicked on my mic, went to the listen tab, and checked "listen to this device". This allows me to hear myself when i talk into the mic. I tried disconnecting the mic and realised that the squeal was still there. So its something inside the computer thats wrong. Even without the mic theres the squealing sound. I tried googling, but couldnt find anything, could anyone help? anything is appreciated :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried updating your audio drivers?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

do i need to update drivers for my mic or are you talking about my headphones, my headphones dont need updating because other people hear the squealing too so im gonna assume you are talking about my microphone. http://www.trust.com/products/productdrivers.aspx?artnr=11917 says that there are no drivers to download :\ not sure thats the problem though, i get the squeals without the microphone and even with the other microphone i have. Thanks for the help anyway!

do i need to update drivers for my mic or are you talking about my headphones, my headphones dont need updating because other people hear the squealing too so im gonna assume you are talking about my microphone. http://www.trust.com/products/productdrivers.aspx?artnr=11917 says that there are no drivers to download :\ not sure thats the problem though, i get the squeals without the microphone and even with the other microphone i have. Thanks for the help anyway!

No your soundcard, its possibly a Realtek AC'97 or Realtek HD but it could also be Creative, Sigmatel etc. You'll find out under sounds & audio devices in device manager

Nick

In the device manager under "sounds, video and game controllers" there is "high definition audio device" i tried automatically updating it but theres no more drivers, tried going into properties but it doesnt actually say what sound card it is, just that the manufacturer is microsoft

In the device manager under "sounds, video and game controllers" there is "high definition audio device" i tried automatically updating it but theres no more drivers, tried going into properties but it doesnt actually say what sound card it is, just that the manufacturer is microsoft

Yep you don't have proper sound card drivers installed just generic Windows ones. You could try the Realtek HD ones here see if they work

Nick

• Advertisement

Im not sure that the link is working properly for me. Which ones are you directing me to? i looked at the downloads page and theres 3 options, which one is it? so i can manually do it. Thanks for your help man, its really appreciated! :D

31gsg.jpg
    The UK1 mirror should be fastest. Can see if your 32 or 64bit via right clicking computer in start menu>properties

Nick

ok so i installed it, restarted my computer but the problem is still there. I dont have any indication that its actually running at the moment though, is it supposed to be like a program?

ok so i installed it, restarted my computer but the problem is still there. I dont have any indication that its actually running at the moment though, is it supposed to be like a program?

What does device manager show now?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I had a similar problem gaming with a mic on teamspeak. As far as I remember I solved it by muting the mic volume in Audio Output in Volume Control. This stopped the soundcard looping the mic input.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    What does device manager show now?

Nick

The exact same as before :(

can anyone help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You said you disconnected the mic and the sound was still there. Is it coming from the speakers or just through the headphones? Does it happen when yoo're playing music or only when you are using the mic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Check that the only input device thats enabled/unmuted is the microphone. It could be picking up interference from an auxillary port or something similar

mordeith wrote: »
    You said you disconnected the mic and the sound was still there. Is it coming from the speakers or just through the headphones? Does it happen when yoo're playing music or only when you are using the mic?

Just through the headphones. Not when I'm playing music. I don't automatically hear the sound though. Only if I go into the options and make sure I hear what is said through the microphone. But if I dont say anything, or even disconnect the microphone, I still get the sound, which tells me its not the mic's fault, rather something in the computer, or some missing software or something

Check that the only input device thats enabled/unmuted is the microphone. It could be picking up interference from an auxillary port or something similar

Didn't help unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Could be a short or interference on the audio jack. If the pc's powered through a multiadaptor, try disconnect everything else. If that doesnt work, you might need to open up the machine and check that all cables are connected tightly

Advertisement