Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Orientation.

Options
  • 20-08-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the HEAR orientation in UL for 2012? :)
    Like, what can be expected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Mine was last year, but it could be different this year though. I stayed in one of the student villages for three nights with five others. The first day, you go to your apartment and see your room. Then they had this talk for our parents, if they go with you, about starting college and stuff. While that was on, we went to one of the restaurants on campus for dinner. Then we had a pub quiz, and went back to the apartment we were staying in. The next day, everyone was put into groups with people who were doing similar courses to them. Then each group had to do a project and had to present it in front of everyone. They wanted us get familiar with the campus, so they gave us a sheet with places on them and we had to find them. We got a lunch and dinner each day, but had to bring our own breakfast. We did group building activities, and you had to say a few words about yourself in front of everyone. They gave a lot of lectures about how to study properly, how college was different compared to school, and stuff like that, they taught us about budgeting too. We had to go to a supermarket and buy food for everyone, and it had to be less than 20 euro. Then we had to cook our own meal with the food, and some of the mentors came to the apartment to inspect the meal. You're not allowed leave the campus while you're there and you have to be back in your apartment by a certain time. I think more stuff was done but that's all I can remember, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

babynice wrote: »
    Mine was last year, but it could be different this year though. I stayed in one of the student villages for three nights with five others. The first day, you go to your apartment and see your room. Then they had this talk for our parents, if they go with you, about starting college and stuff. While that was on, we went to one of the restaurants on campus for dinner. Then we had a pub quiz, and went back to the apartment we were staying in. The next day, everyone was put into groups with people who were doing similar courses to them. Then each group had to do a project and had to present it in front of everyone. They wanted us get familiar with the campus, so they gave us a sheet with places on them and we had to find them. We got a lunch and dinner each day, but had to bring our own breakfast. We did group building activities, and you had to say a few words about yourself in front of everyone. They gave a lot of lectures about how to study properly, how college was different compared to school, and stuff like that, they taught us about budgeting too. We had to go to a supermarket and buy food for everyone, and it had to be less than 20 euro. Then we had to cook our own meal with the food, and some of the mentors came to the apartment to inspect the meal. You're not allowed leave the campus while you're there and you have to be back in your apartment by a certain time. I think more stuff was done but that's all I can remember, sorry!

That sounds pretty cool, thanks. :)
    Do you know if you get the opportunity to speak to any of your lecturers or anything for your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

biohaiid wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the HEAR orientation in UL for 2012? :)
    Like, what can be expected?

This is some of the best craic to be had all year.
    Its a small group of students, close to 100 iirc.
    I used to mentor this group when I was in UL, I wasnt there last year though.

The lectures from the HEAR leaders are important, and provide a great basis for students starting their time in UL. This is invaluable come orientation week the following week as students will know others from their course before they begin.

You dont get to meet your lecturers, but you should have access to a student leader who will hopefully be able to shed more light on your course.

I hope you enjoy it, I used to love it, wish I could be there this year, I might make a surprise visit [not a surprise anymore] :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Mossin wrote: »

The lectures from the HEAR leaders are important, and provide a great basis for students starting their time in UL. This is invaluable come orientation week the following week as students will know others from their course before they begin.

You dont get to meet your lecturers, but you should have access to a student leader who will hopefully be able to shed more light on your course.

I hope you enjoy it, I used to love it, wish I could be there this year, I might make a surprise visit [not a surprise anymore] :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm really excited about it now! :)
    Hopefully I'll be able to find out as much info. as possible on my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mossin wrote: »

Will never forget the look on your face when you thought I was drinking a can of Bav at half 8 in the morning on the walk into college.... :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement