Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tall Ships

• 20-08-2012 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

The Tall Ships are coming to Dublin next week. The last time they were here the quays got over 2 million visits,

They are things of beauty so will you be visiting the Lovely Boats Competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Yes I will most definitely. 1998 was a great turnout. It won't be quite as epic as that this time but it should be good all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yes I will most definitely. 1998 was a great turnout. It won't be quite as epic as that this time but it should be good all the same.

I have some great photos from the last time, I thought it was a great day out. A free show for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Dublin Forum.

I don't remember an after hours thread when the tall ships were in Waterford last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Dublin Forum.

I don't remember an after hours thread when the tall ships were in Waterford last year.

lol Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I booked a seat on a cruise that goes up around all the ships for a euro. I've never seen them before so I'm excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Colmustard wrote: »
    The Tall Ships are coming to Dublin next week. The last time they were here the quays got over 2 million visits,

They are things of beauty so will you be visiting the Lovely Boats Competition.
    They all have lovely hulls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Yeah i might float about and see them while their here.

We had an AH thread for the Volvo boat race in Galway.

Their won't be as many ships as there were in 1998 and not so many big ones either.
    I will be a nice change though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dublin Forum.

The Volvo Race in Galway got its own AH thread tho.

Actually going home to Waterford to this weekend so I'll miss The Tall Ships

• Advertisement

Dublin Forum.

The site was less cultured then,

They're arriving now and Thursday afternoon they'll make their way up the river.
    Traffic chaos to be expected on the quays later this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Their won't be as many ships as there were in 1998 and not so many big ones either.
    I will be a nice change though!

So is it the "not so tall ships day"?

They're arriving now and Thursday afternoon they'll make their way up the river.
    Traffic chaos to be expected on the quays later this week.

Bus it, I have a decent camera this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't get all the fuss about tall ships. Why do people go mental for them ? They are ships. They are tall. What am I missing ?

I don't get all the fuss about tall ships. Why do people go mental for them ? They are ships. They are tall. What am I missing ?

People are naturally drawn to tall things

Dean09 wrote: »
    So is it the "not so tall ships day"?
    Ah it will still be class and there will be plenty of big ones there.
    I think some of the boats that were here from the B category have been bumped into the A category this time.

It's a festival.
    The boats are like pirate ships maaaan!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I missed the Volvo ocean race as I wasn't able to head down to Galway but I'm definitely not gonna miss the Tall Ships!

They are truly things of beauty. Its reminds us of an era of exploration and the sea was a place of mystery and exploration and very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Not only will I be there but I have volunteered to be a steward.

I'll be the power-mad crowd controller on the Quays so I should be easy to spot :D

chughes wrote: »
    Not only will I be there but I have volunteered to be a steward.

I'll be the power-mad crowd controller on the Quays so I should be easy to spot :D

;) I will be giving you the secret AH handshake and I will expect favourable treatment.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It's a festival.
    The boats are like pirate ships maaaan!!!:D

Arrrrrr!!

That reminds me. International talk like a pirate day is September19th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    They all have lovely hulls

Mmmm and dripping wet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Bonavox wrote: »
    lol Waterford

You'll never host the tall ships as amazingly as Waterford did. Thats a fact. Anywhere in Europe would have a hard time beating them. So get down of your ignorant horse.

You'll never host the tall ships as amazingly as Waterford did. Thats a fact. Anywhere in Europe would have a hard time beating them. So get down of your ignorant horse.

How do you host ships? Surely once you have water for them to float in you've successfully hosted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CasaBonita

phasers wrote: »
    How do you host ships? Surely once you have water for them to float in you've successfully hosted them?

Waterford is one of the only locations where the tall ships can actually sail right up the river into the city centre which produces a great atmosphere. It is one of only a few locations in Europe where this is possible.

In Dublin the tall ships are stuck out in the docklands.

The Tall Ships organisers are on record as saying that Waterford is one of their preferred locations and are hoping to come back in the next few years.

There's a reason why we have hosted the Tall Ships twice in the past seven years.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

phasers wrote: »

You provide them with tea and biscuits!

CasaBonita wrote: »
    Waterford is one of the only locations where the tall ships can actually sail right up the river into the city centre which produces a great atmosphere.

In Dublin the tall ships are stuck out in the docklands.

The Tall Ships organisers are on record as saying that Waterford is one of their preferred locations and are hoping to come back in the next few years.

There's a reason why we have hosted the Tall Ships twice in the past seven years.:cool:

But it was a nightmare for the visitors, you couldn't get acc and the spaces available they overcharged and the traffic was madness.

But I believe it was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Thats a fact.

no it's not.
    Thats an opinion.

i do think i will pop into the city for a quick look alright. i generally would be in the city most weeks so i will see them, intentionally or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think it was the hotels at 3 times the normal rate that made the Waterford event such a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CasaBonita

I think it was the hotels at 3 times the normal rate that made the Waterford event such a success.

Happens at any big event where demand for hotel rooms exceeds supply. I'm sure hotel prices went up in Galway for the Volvo races or the horse racing in July. Do you expect any different?

CasaBonita wrote: »
    Happens at any big event where demand for hotel rooms exceeds supply. I'm sure hotel prices went up in Galway for the Volvo races or the horse racing in July. Do you expect any different?

Yeah
    Put it in Dublin and that wont happen. I jest spread the love is what I say. I was just to stupid to realise that would happen I could have stayed in another nearby county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Colmustard wrote: »
    Yeah
    Put it in Dublin and that wont happen. I jest spread the love is what I say. I was just to stupid to realise that would happen I could have stayed in another nearby county.

It happens when the concerts are on. Every hotel nearby doubles or triples its price. Its a bit ridiculous.

See my girlfirend melt into a gibbering wreck at the sight of a svelte Colombian sailor again?

Yeah no thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Savage.

If I could at all, I'd be there. Ships are brilliant.

It happens when the concerts are on. Every hotel nearby doubles or triples its price. Its a bit ridiculous.

Normally I would say there is nothing wrong with boosting profits, but its different when I am the victim, yeah the cnuts.

Its the reason I couldn't get to London for the Olympics, 35o a night was the cheapest and that was hardly in London.

My Brother said to me last week you should have asked for his mates couch, I answered HUH is he over there, a bit late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Edz87 wrote: »
    See my girlfirend melt into a gibbering wreck at the sight of a svelte Colombian sailor again?

Yeah no thanks...

eemmm I think I may head into town now for a gander at these ships:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They distract the joyless citizenry for a few hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

D1stant wrote: »
    Mmmm and dripping wet...
    Naughty(cal):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I can't wait for it!! Took part in the Tall Ships Race myself a few years ago and sailed to St Petersburg and Helsinki, was serious craic altogether!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

My choir are singing at it on Sunday, should be fun.

I was down at Dollymount walking along the Bullwall it occurred to me if I can get the times that would be a great place to see and get pictures of the ships coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

They are all due to leave on Sunday between 11am and 2pm in a "parade of sail"! Should be spectacular seeing them all sail out of the bay together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Well the people/traffic management is a shambles already. Load of frontline security lads that haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

I've never been but looking forward to it this weekend.

Are they so tall that they're vury tall like?

whitewave wrote: »
    I've never been but looking forward to it this weekend.

Are they so tall that they're vury tall like?

They are very tall, can see them from my work window!

Good crowd assembling down here, I'd say tomorrow and Friday will be very, very busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ballinteerguy

anyone been to see them today so far ?
    Is there much to see and do really ?

or is it just a load of ships parked up on the docks, you cant hop on to them or get a tour, lots of stalls around selling overpriced stuff with nearby food and drink vendors hiking up prices ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Simona1986 wrote: »
    They are all due to leave on Sunday between 11am and 2pm in a "parade of sail"! Should be spectacular seeing them all sail out of the bay together!

Yes they wiill all sail out into the bay and maybe hang around for an hour before heading their separate ways! Although some will be starting another race to Liverpool! They will cruise down the Liffey a class A followed by some smaller boats followed by another class A!
    It is considered very bad manners in the tall ships races not to put on a bit of a show for the crowd when leaving a visiting port, so they should all get a few sails up and look the part! Chances are the the Mexican sailors will be up on the yards!! It'll certainly be a great chance to get some photos!!

anyone been to see them today so far ?
    Is there much to see and do really ?

or is it just a load of ships parked up on the docks, you cant hop on to them or get a tour, lots of stalls around selling overpriced stuff with nearby food and drink vendors hiking up prices ?

Loads of free concerts too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement