Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tall Ships

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I see a lot of people in offices looking out windows at the tall ships. Get back to bloody work! You wouldn't see me distracted from my work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

anyone been to see them today so far ?
    Is there much to see and do really ?

or is it just a load of ships parked up on the docks, you cant hop on to them or get a tour, lots of stalls around selling overpriced stuff with nearby food and drink vendors hiking up prices ?

You will be allowed on board the ships at certains times, each ship has its own schedule which is available on the tall ships Dublin website! You won't be allowed to have a look around below deck on any ship however as it is the crews home effectively!

Well worth going for a look though, some of the rigging is unbelievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you don't have a view of the Liffey from work, you don't have to miss out:
    http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If you don't have a view of the Liffey from work, you don't have to miss out:
    http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

I don't see any ships there :( just a moving camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

They are all due to leave on Sunday between 11am and 2pm in a "parade of sail"! Should be spectacular seeing them all sail out of the bay together!

You just know the dirty big Stena line will get in the way, causing the tall ships to crash into each other and sink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wouldn't it be great if they had a prison ship to take Anto & da lads away.

Seriously there's great craic to be had and the ships are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

They are fierce sexy ships though. They're like the supermodels of the nautical world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kwiecien

Hope the weather will be good for the festival, I love the tall ships :D

Going up on Saturday for a look, bringing some friends and their kids so hopefully it will be a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I see a lot of people in offices looking out windows at the tall ships. Get back to bloody work! You wouldn't see me distracted from my work...

Stop looking out your office window at people looking out their office window.....you're like the Peeping Tom of the IFSC :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I advise anyone who can get into the Tall Ships over the weekend should as they are a sight to behold. Great to get a chance to go on board.

Crew parade is a great as alot of the crews get dressed up in fancy dress and have a laugh.

Pity that this year alot of the Class A ships are not in the Race such as the Russian Mir, Columbian Gloria we had them in Waterford and wow they were fantistic - big difference the Mir was abit more rough and palin looking while the Gloriwa was very polished and posh looking.
    I do know that some Class B's have been upgraded to Class A for this year festival and race. They are still a sight to behold though.

The Lord Nelson is well worth getting aboard if you can as they have the ability to cater for people with all type of disability as in last years race they had a blind trainee sailor and a couple in wheelchairs. Amazing and fantastic the ship was adapted by JST. The sister ship the Tenacious the same.

I heard though that all the ships have to be spread out and are on different parts on the quays obviously due to way quays are laid out is this true?

That a pity as there is nothing like seeing them all lined up in a row on both sides of the quay and all you can see are the masts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

libra02 wrote: »
    I advise anyone who can get into the Tall Ships over the weekend should as they are a sight to behold. Great to get a chance to go on board.

Crew parade is a great as alot of the crews get dressed up in fancy dress and have a laugh.

Pity that this year alot of the Class A ships are not in the Race such as the Russian Mir, Columbian Gloria we had them in Waterford and wow they were fantistic - big difference the Mir was abit more rough and palin looking while the Gloriwa was very polished and posh looking.
    I do know that some Class B's have been upgraded to Class A for this year festival and race. They are still a sight to behold though.

The Lord Nelson is well worth getting aboard if you can as they have the ability to cater for people with all type of disability as in last years race they had a blind trainee sailor and a couple in wheelchairs. Amazing and fantastic the ship was adapted by JST. The sister ship the Tenacious the same.

I heard though that all the ships have to be spread out and are on different parts on the quays obviously due to way quays are laid out is this true?

That a pity as there is nothing like seeing them all lined up in a row on both sides of the quay and all you can see are the masts.

dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I don't see any ships there :( just a moving camera

Keep watching, occasionaly it pans off around the city but most of the time it spends looking at the ships on the Liffey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

nbar12 wrote: »
    dunno

Yes the class A ships and some of the larger class B's are on the south keys I think (I don't know Dublin that well) because they need a deeper draught and the south key has deeper water!!
    There are a lot of ships missing indeed such as the Mir, Sedov (the largest in the fleet), the Christian Radiach, Europa, Dar Młodzieży, Enderacht, Thalassa, T.S Astrid all of who would usually be in the races!!
    The are all class A ships aswell and add a lot of elegance to the event!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

kfallon wrote: »
    Stop looking out your office window at people looking out their office window.....you're like the Peeping Tom of the IFSC :P
    No windows for me. I had to actually just get out there and soak up the atmosphere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

alan1990 wrote: »
    Yes the class A ships and some of the larger class B's are on the south keys I think (I don't know Dublin that well) because they need a deeper draught and the south key has deeper water!!
    There are a lot of ships missing indeed such as the Mir, Sedov (the largest in the fleet), the Christian Radiach, Europa, Dar Młodzieży, Enderacht, Thalassa, T.S Astrid all of who would usually be in the races!!
    The are all class A ships aswell and add a lot of elegance to the event!!

I can agree with you on the elegance part of the Class A's alright we had the Mir, Gloria, Christian Radiach, Europa, Enderacht, T.S Astrid as well as a good few of the other Class A's in Dublin such as Lord Nelson and Pelican down in Waterford last year and they really added to the fleet. I cannot think of the names of the other Class A's but if memory sevres me we had about 10-15.

I knew they would need the deeper water but I think given the way the keys are laid out in Dublin with all the bridges etc the ships all cannot be together which is a pity, but look it great that people get to see them. Exercise walking up and down the quays anyway!!!!

Would love to have gotten up this weekend and had palnned to but final college thesis got in the way :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

The Tall Ships last year was an amazing weekend, the weather was lovely, spent the weekend walking around town drinking cans and trying all the lovely food that was on sale, the ships were nice to look at as well. Cant wait for it to come back to Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

was there today - amazing set up - South Quays best for the ships - the Italian and Mexican ones are really fab. North Quays for the entertainment

1 tip - Dont even think of going there with a car

Red Line Luas or Dart is the only way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

"The Tall Ships", great name for a band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Can't believe there isn't more hype about this. The Tall Ships has a proper festival vibe going on.

Where I work, we could see the ships coming in, and the amount of entertainment and fun was unbelievable. Lots of street performers and so many different activities. The stalls are a bit shit, by and large (very overly commercial and expensive), but that's not unexpected.

The craic is mighty though. Was out there yesterday, and everybody was in flying form! Heading back in today and there's so much going on. We're doing Gladiator-style water activities (whatever that is), kayaking, and a few tours. Then there's music until almost midnight.

Huge amount of effort put into this festival, and it would be a huge shame to miss it if you could make it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

xoxyx wrote: »
    Can't believe there isn't more hype about this. The Tall Ships has a proper festival vibe going on.

Where I work, we could see the ships coming in, and the amount of entertainment and fun was unbelievable. Lots of street performers and so many different activities. The stalls are a bit shit, by and large (very overly commercial and expensive), but that's not unexpected.

The craic is mighty though. Was out there yesterday, and everybody was in flying form! Heading back in today and there's so much going on. We're doing Gladiator-style water activities (whatever that is), kayaking, and a few tours. Then there's music until almost midnight.

Huge amount of effort put into this festival, and it would be a huge shame to miss it if you could make it in!

Going today, another thing which is unique about this is, it's free, you don't pay in and there are no tickets. You don't have to use the stalls. What more could we ask in a recession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Great day out, ships were unbelievable!! Just sorry I didn't get in earlier before the crowds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

xoxyx wrote: »

I agree. I went in yesterday and was very impressed (despite the crap weather). :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ah we had such a fantastic weekend last year when tall ships came to Waterford, the sun split the rocks for the whole weekend, the atmosphere was unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

They are all due to leave on Sunday between 11am and 2pm in a "parade of sail"! Should be spectacular seeing them all sail out of the bay together!

stupid question maybe but anyone know will they be splitting and going north and south, would like to see a bit from the South wall tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was at the Tall Ships today and it was great, despite the few showers we had.

They were ships that were closed off to the public, because they only opened at certain times of the day. Even when some of the ships were open to the public, I couldn't go on them because the queues for them were very large.

Even one steward at the festival even asked somone for actual tickets from somebody. If they ask you for tickets and you didn't have them. You would have been asked for photo ID. Which is a bit of shame.

However, the ships I did see were amazing. They had ships from countries like Poland, Ecuador, Sweden and the UK.

The trade stands I'd agree were tacky looking and awful.

I even saw a couple of male personalities including the head of communications at IE, Barry Kenny and SF TD for Cavan-Monaghan, Caoimhghín O' Caolain.

The high point of my day at the festival was an event you could have watched at around 8pm on RTE One on Saturday Evening.

It is also on Wednesdays as well of course; I was talking about taking part in the live audience at the Lotto Draws which was presented by Nuala Carey.

That was first time being on Live Television and I enjoyed it very much (even though I didn't win any money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

When are the ships leaving?

I think a stroll out to the Pigeon House would be pretty cool to see the ships heading out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I was there today and it was ****.

It rained. Meh

No really. They are ships like. Meh.

There were WAAAAYYYYYY tooo many people. Meh. Meh.

Maybe I just don't get it but......meh!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

pithater1 wrote: »
    When are the ships leaving?

I think a stroll out to the Pigeon House would be pretty cool to see the ships heading out.

PARADE OF SAIL
    RIVER LIFFEY 11.00am – 2.00pm
    Join this spectacular Bon Voyage to the ships, featuring Dublin Gospel Choir with a special ship songs performance on the Bulmers Live music Dock which will be heard all along the river.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement