Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat or course im not totally happy with ?

• 20-08-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

Im really stuck in 2 minds about whether to repeat or not

The course i really wanted shot up by 70, i thought being 50 clear of last year was good enough but it weren't

I really wanted MSISS in TCD, but i got Arts in UCD instead. While i like some of the subject choices, what use is an arts degree really unless you want to be a teacher, and i deffinatly dont want that

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Im really stuck in 2 minds about whether to repeat or not

The course i really wanted shot up by 70, i thought being 50 clear of last year was good enough but it weren't

I really wanted MSISS in TCD, but i got Arts in UCD instead. While i like some of the subject choices, what use is an arts degree really unless you want to be a teacher, and i deffinatly dont want that

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Do you feel you did yourself justice in your exams with regards to your points? If not repeat. There is always second round, courses have been known to drop 40 points. I don't think you should do A course you are unhappy with as there is a high chance you will drop out and then you will have to pay full fees. You could also take a year out and reapply with your original points next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Do you see yourself sticking with Arts or always feeling like you should have had another go for a course you really want? People drop out every year due to being unhappy in a course that maybe they shouldn't have accepted in the first place. If you feel like you could achieve more points if you repeat, and that you would be so much happier this time next year to get MSISS rather than be finishing first year Arts, maybe you should consider repeating?

Financially, if you start Arts, decide in a year or 2 that its not for you, drop out and reapply for MSISS, you will have to pay fees for the amount of years that you are "repeating", ie, if you do 2 years of Arts, you will have to pay for the first 2 years of MSISS. Fees are usually upwards of €6,000 per year. You also wouldn't be able to get the grant for those years.

I'm sure you've seen all the delighted posters who repeated and finally got what they wanted. It might be a pain for the next few weeks while friends are off to college, but in a few months time, being in college won't matter if you don't like your course and you're wishing you were back in school for another go.

Don't forget there's always the second round offers as well :)

Advertisement