Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second round/Points for home ec teaching

• 20-08-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So the points for Home ec teaching in Sligo rose quite high especially for Home ec with Irish. I wasn't expecting such a rise and I'm ten points off..Do points go down much for the second round? :confused: There was no * beside the points (there was with biology) do I have any hope? Any answers GREATLY appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

So the points for Home ec teaching in Sligo rose quite high especially for Home ec with Irish. I wasn't expecting such a rise and I'm ten points off..Do points go down much for the second round? :confused: There was no * beside the points (there was with biology) do I have any hope? Any answers GREATLY appreciated!

Who knows is my honest answer! Look at points for last year. When I did it there was no second round. I was actually expecting the points to rise higher than they did but it is such a scandal. I wish they would bring back an interview as there are so many students would make fab home ec teachers but miss out on points and there are always people who drop out mid way through the year who get in on their points. Irish rose so high as Irish teachers are in demand! How many points are you off? Do you all home ecs down?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CatchingFire

I must say I was very shocked to see Irish and Home ec rise from 455 to 505 as it had always stayed in and around the same!I know irish teachers are in demand but it still caught me out! Oh, an interview would be great, I really wish it wasn't just based on points. I'm off by ten points :( I had home ec and biology down as my second choice but I didn't put home ec with economics and religion down! Thanks so much for your reply, I'm just hoping it will go down ten points!

I must say I was very shocked to see Irish and Home ec rise from 455 to 505 as it had always stayed in and around the same!I know irish teachers are in demand but it still caught me out! Oh, an interview would be great, I really wish it wasn't just based on points. I'm off by ten points :( I had home ec and biology down as my second choice but I didn't put home ec with economics and religion down! Thanks so much for your reply, I'm just hoping it will go down ten points!

Oh no catching fire you were badly advised there :( you could of tried to switch when you were in there :( did your home ec teacher not tell you? Home ec is 4 days elective only 1!

Oh no really? :( damn, are you definitely allowed switch if you're in there? :/ see my home ec teacher studied in Dublin when home ec was there so she really didn't know much about St.Angelas, she was brilliant so she would have told me if she knew! aww no absolutely gutted now:(

Oh no really? :( damn, are you definitely allowed switch if you're in there? :/ see my home ec teacher studied in Dublin when home ec was there so she really didn't know much about St.Angelas, she was brilliant so she would have told me if she knew! aww no absolutely gutted now:(

I too studied in Dublin and my year were notorious for switching electives!! At Xmas they had to draw the line with us lol :) I think the irish class ended up with only 2 students! I get students every year from st Angela's and they told me that there is switching every year! Tbh the ironic thing is religion and economics are the handiest and the least workload (unless you are a fluent Irish speaker!) plus Irish would be so hard to teach on teaching practice as most students are very unenthusiastic about the language (or so the irish teachers in my school tell me!)

• Advertisement

Aw really? :) pity Dublin isn't still available! I should of put religion down, oh well, no point dwelling on it now! Yeah that is true! Just hope everything will work out for me this time round, thank you! :)

Aw really? :) pity Dublin isn't still available! I should of put religion down, oh well, no point dwelling on it now! Yeah that is true! Just hope everything will work out for me this time round, thank you! :)

It is such a disgrace that Dublin shut down but the truth of it the nuns wanted out! Frobel has now moved to maynooth! Dublin was always higher points though :( I always say what's for you won't pass you and if it's meant to be it's meant to be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

the fact that it jumped so much may offer a glimmer of hope that there will be a 3rd round but who's to know for sure? the * you mentioned for biology (as far as i know) refers to random selection so even if somebody got the required points they are still not neccessarily guaranteed a place - any 2nd round places would go to those that secured the points but mised out in the random selection process
    i didn't know you could switch electives - nobody in my year ever did and i've never heard of it before.
    i agree with millem - what's meant for you doesn't pass you by.
    hope you get it in the next round !

Thanks so much guys! Yeah I just really hope that I will get offered it next Thursday, it's just such a downer because I was so happy with my results:( Yeah I'm just hoping because there wasn't a * means that there might be places in available in Irish but who knows? My friend said that maybe I should Ring/email St.Angelas to see if there is a spot available for Economics or Religion (as in if there were free places because not enough people applied to fill it), I presume myself it is pointless as I didn't have it on my CAO, What do yous think?

the fact that it jumped so much may offer a glimmer of hope that there will be a 3rd round but who's to know for sure? the * you mentioned for biology (as far as i know) refers to random selection so even if somebody got the required points they are still not neccessarily guaranteed a place - any 2nd round places would go to those that secured the points but mised out in the random selection process
    i didn't know you could switch electives - nobody in my year ever did and i've never heard of it before.
    i agree with millem - what's meant for you doesn't pass you by.
    hope you get it in the next round !

They don't advertise you can switch electives and tell you specifically at the open day you can't! My OH's cousin did it she said the workload for biology is insane and loads of labs and something about zoology? There are switches and back door moves in every university they just don't advertise it or else there would be mayhem. You just need to get in the door for it to happen :)

• Advertisement

Hmmm, do you think there is a point of me emailing them or ringing them to see if there's a place free on the other two? or would it just be silly?

Hmmm, do you think there is a point of me emailing them or ringing them to see if there's a place free on the other two? or would it just be silly?

No point, you need to get it through cao! You will need to wait til 2nd round. Unfortunately all places will be filled

ah damn, okay thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Don31

Hey, jus thought i'd let u know dat no 2nd offers came out in St Ang last year.I sat my leavin dis yr, i got home ec nd bio teachin nd my sis got home ec nd economics, i have heard quite a lot of past students sayin u can change when u arrive in sept but when u start an elective der is no way u r allowed 2 change. i tink dat its true dat its 4 days home ec nd 1 day eleactive.
    u hv a brill leavin u would defo have da points 4 da other home ec teachin. hope this yr dey give out 2nd offers.
    i know it is shockin dat da home ec nd irish jumped up 50. no one saw dat cumin. wat did u get on ur cao. i know u can do a masters in home economics in st ang after if u want.

aw no really? was that just a coincidence or do they not do second rounds at all? Im so nervous/upset :( I got offered a course in Galway to allow me to do Irish teaching but tbh all I want is home ec (with irish). Fingers crossed there are 2nd rounds this year and if not I don't know what I'll do! Thanks for your reply!:)

i feel like such a barer of bad news. yeah, its so hard 2 get da cao list right. mayb u should do a plc in sewin/ cookin 4 a yr nd apply nxt yr again 4 da irish but have da economics nd religion 4 back ups. but der could b 2nd offers. u neva know. no bother at all 4 replyin. mayb look in2 ucas nxt yr but i reli hope u get da home ec nd irish u got such a good leavin. 50 points up. SHOCKIN!!!

Don31 wrote: »
    Hey, jus thought i'd let u know dat no 2nd offers came out in St Ang last year.I sat my leavin dis yr, i got home ec nd bio teachin nd my sis got home ec nd economics, i have heard quite a lot of past students sayin u can change when u arrive in sept but when u start an elective der is no way u r allowed 2 change. i tink dat its true dat its 4 days home ec nd 1 day eleactive.
    u hv a brill leavin u would defo have da points 4 da other home ec teachin. hope this yr dey give out 2nd offers.
    i know it is shockin dat da home ec nd irish jumped up 50. no one saw dat cumin. wat did u get on ur cao. i know u can do a masters in home economics in st ang after if u want.

Wow well done to you and your sis :) your poor parents though it is such an expensive course!! Maybe you could get bulk deals on seeing machines etc! I would love to the masters in home ec but the distance would be a problem plus I heard it has never been run as there was not enough uptake! The b.ed is the ONLY course that will allow you to teach! I presume you must be a home ec teacher to get onto the masters do I really don't think that's a runner unfortunately! Totally agree with you, catching fire's leaving cert is brilliant and there is no need to repeat just reapply next year (if needs be) :) Catching fire I know it's a long shot but have you applied to view scripts on the off chance of an upgrade? Desperate times call for desperate measures!!

Congrats to you and your sister btw! Have they ever done second rounds before do yous know? yeah thanks, I really was delighted with my results but unfortunately it wasn't good enough :/ Yeah I have applied to view them all ( thought it'd only be for the fun, wahh) so it would be great if I could bump up ten points! If I did get the points would I definitely get an offer or is it just a possibility? thanks guys!

Congrats to you and your sister btw! Have they ever done second rounds before do yous know? yeah thanks, I really was delighted with my results but unfortunately it wasn't good enough :/ Yeah I have applied to view them all ( thought it'd only be for the fun, wahh) so it would be great if I could bump up ten points! If I did get the points would I definitely get an offer or is it just a possibility? thanks guys!

Yes you get an offer :) you would just be starting a little bit late!

First bit of good news I've heard all day :DIf that were to happen would it be better to defer it to the following september or would you be able to catch up? :/

• Advertisement

First bit of good news I've heard all day :DIf that were to happen would it be better to defer it to the following september or would you be able to catch up? :/

When do st Angela's start? In two weeks? Rechecks would be out start of October? There wouldn't be much to catch up on to be honest! So up to you! The workload is not hard at all, there is just sooo much of it! Ask your home ec teacher for a copy of an old leaving cert book called live and learn by Siobhain mcsweeney! That got us through 1st-3rd year exams! It is far too detailed for leaving cert that's why it is not beening printed anymore!

oh thanks. not sure bout dat 2nd rounds, i tink last year was jus weird. well hopefully u'll spot sumthin 2 pull u up. ah!! dey have 2 give u an offer nut if da course is full it can b for 2013. but i've heard u can start late 2. prob up 2 u.

Don31 wrote: »

oh thanks. not sure bout dat 2nd rounds, i tink last year was jus weird. well hopefully u'll spot sumthin 2 pull u up. ah!! dey have 2 give u an offer nut if da course is full it can b for 2013. but i've heard u can start late 2. prob up 2 u.

The way it used to work in Dublin was there was only allowed to be 100 people in college from 1st-4th year so if someone got in on rechecks there was 101 so they took one less in the intake for the following 1st years! But tbh there were always drop outs in 1st year so the increased the intake for the following 1st years!

Okay cool, thanks for the book advise, I shall ask her :) thanks so much for the advise guys, have yer fingers crossed for me please :):)

I got it today guys, thanks for yer help and suggestions :D I'm so happy!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if you like the course? :)
    I really want the home ec with biology and am considering repeating if I don't get the points this year and wondering if you know others doing that course this year and if there is a huge workload? :)

Thanks anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You might be out of luck, Charlie, CatchingFire hasn't been logged into Boards since November last year! :)

Advertisement