Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto Park - worth it?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've heard mixed reports of this place. The prices are on the high side, especially as you have to fork out more for some things once you pay in. I've five kids (2 - 12 years) so incl myself, that's over seventy quid for a day at this place. So is it worth it for a day out before they go back to school?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

I've heard the grub is good, but apart from that a bore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been thinking of taking my 11 year old nephew from Holland to Tayto Park when he's over here next but it doesn't seem to have any rollercoaster rides or the like so it looks like it would be very boring to a boy of his age. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

its good for kids
    loads of stuff for em ,animals to pet ,look at
    adults may get bored......ah well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think it's good enough for kids but you definitely should avoid it on a weekend as the place is jammed.
    2 adults and 4 children is €60 as far as I know and children under 3 go free. I think the zip line is 2 or 3 euro for 2 goes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 beadygirl

Hi
    I live about 15 mins from Tayto park and got a membership for my three kids myself and husband, for euro 140, it's good value for us because we live so near and will get a lot of use from it but personally I think the price you pay for a day pass is a bit steep, for that you will get access to the two playgrounds, the animal zoo which is quite good and there is usually free face painting, balloon modelling, story telling, there is also an tayto factory tour. the other things cost an extra 2 euro or so so it can add up to an expensive day. I thi k it probably is worth it just a tad steep and if I didn't have the membership I,d only have gone the once for the experience. But have to say, my kids love the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

live nearby too....its a very busy spot. they must be doing something right. i know a few people who have gone and the general consensus is that its very good for children. its more children orientated than the likes of the zoo.

a major plus is the organised car parking. trying to get parking at the zoo on a sunday afternoon is a pain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Worth a visit imo. Went for the first time a few weeks ago and it was better than I thought. The things you need to pay extra for are worth the money I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Five kids. Day out bring sambos and juice. Pay admission. Get another 5 kids and possibly buy a group ticket.

Yes its worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm planning on going here the weekend after next with my wife and two kids (2 and a half and 11 months) - obviously the 11 month old won't get much out of it but I'd say our two year old will love it. To be honest, I couldn't give a **** if theres nothing there for me and the wife...its a day out for the kids and thats why we are going. If you want to be entertained go to the cinema or something like that.

Kids under 3 go free and although its €12 a pop for adults, there is a deal with Tesco club points that you can get a fair bit of a discount so thats what we are going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Its a day out for my kids which is why I'm considering going but asking adults to pay in is a bit much. It's not as if adults will be using the climbing frames or zip line, even if deep down we'd actually like to have a go. Having to pay extra for things when you get inside is also a bit much when you've forked out €12 per child beforehand. For my family, we'll be looking at €72 plus the "extras" when we get inside.

€72 is a lot of money these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Won't it be €60? Your two year old will get in free.
    I don't think it's too much to ask adults to pay in. Same with almost every other place aimed at children. There's plenty to do even without paying for the extras.
    And adults can use the ziplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Its farcical that adults have to pay in to essentially sit on a bench and look at the kids on zip lines etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Vego wrote: »
    Its farcical that adults have to pay in to essentially sit on a bench and look at the kids on zip lines etc

My thought exactly. Decided to give this place a miss. Some of the public playgrounds are almost as good and they're free (at least for now). €72 is better spent on life's "luxuries" like food, electricity etc

Tayto park sounds great if you have very small children, but what if they're older - like in the 9/10/11/12 year range?

Why can't adults not enjoy themselves too?

I'm sure the zip lines and the Tayto factory tour (is it really a production line the kids get to tour or just a mock up?) are appealing but what would really get Tayto Park noticed would be a major attraction like a rollercoaster or two.

Admission prices do seem pretty hefty - if there was a crisp-themed rollercoaster ride it would make all the difference for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I was there 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. A few hotels around are offering packages that include entry into Tayto park. It's no disneyland but my kids had a ball and still talk about it. The tayto factory tour only runs during the week proper and is a view onto the factory and warehouse/ packing floor while in production. well worth seeing.
    If you want to save money bring a picnic, there is plenty of places to eat it. The food in the restaurant imo was very good and reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Height restrictions on the zip lines means any children under 1.3m can't go on it. If they're over 1.3m be prepared to que up for a long time. And the horse rides close at 3pm even though the park stays open later.

The zoo is great, the types of animals they have are mostly not in Dublin zoo.

It's a complete rip off that you have to pay so much to get in, and then pay for the rides on top of that.

I've heard reports that a number of the animals at Tayto Park are kept in tiny cages which as an animal lover is pretty poor form of Tayto. Dublin Zoo since it's redevelopment and expansion has given its animals a lot more space and of course Fota in Cork gives the animals large open areas to roam so why the mean accommodation at Tayto Park?

Also, the combination of entrance charges plus separate charges for individual attractions seems a bit excessive to say the least. I've also heard that the factory tour is a bit of a let down compared to the Northern Ireland Tayto factory in Tandragee.

Advertisement