Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of getting a dog - advice?

• 20-08-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted a dog but I've practically no experience with them (we never had pets when I was growing up) so I was hoping for some advice.

First off, I live in an apartment and am an owner occupier. The management company rules permit pets. I work 9-5 and wouldn't be in a position to pop home at lunchtime every day (maybe once or twice a week).

I've been reading threads on this forum and if I was considered suitable by a rescue, I feel I'd like to adopt a greyhound as they sound very suited to apartment living and their nature appeals to me (and there are a lot of them in rescues I believe so I like to think I'd be doing a good thing).

I'd be able to walk a dog in the morning before work and again when I got home. I'd have to get a dogwalker to bring him/her out for a walk at lunchtime. I live about a mile from the Phoenix Park so plenty of nice places to walk.

I suppose I have a few questions really:
    • would a rescue be likely to even consider me given that I don't have a garden and work full-time?
    • Is it a good life for a dog, living in an apartment?
    • Bearing in mind my inexperience with dogs and pets in general, is there anything in particular I should be thinking about in weighing up any decision? I guess cost is one thing anyway.

I think I could give a dog a good life, and we'd be good companions for each other but I want to approach this as thoroughly as possible. I know having a pet is a big responsibility to take on. All advice appreciated, even if it's to say I shouldn't even be thinking of a dog. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

i just got a pup nearly 10 weeks old ,hes alot of work,.alot of training involved but whouldt be with out him:) .not to pee in house,going for walks on a harness.but i live in the countryside.but still house training him incase he has to left inside.rescue mite have older dogs who mite be house trained.you should go in an ask see what they say.

there some cost bag of food, some chew toys.to get his shots.

put its worth it.
    ##good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I think you sound perfect for a rescue as long as the dog walker does happen as 9 to 5 is too long to be leaving any dog, even a greyhound.

Probably cost is the main factor although a rescue will have neutered, vaccinated and chipped your dog so your main expenses would be food, bedding, leads, bowls etc. to start with and then booster vaccinations at the vet every year. Insurance is probably a wise move too and that costs a few quid every month.

Then there's the time factor, walking in all weathers, not being able to head straight out after work, kenneling during holidays etc.

I actually know a lovely greyhound rescue and I'm pretty sure they have adopted greyhounds to apartment dwellers before and it's worked well so I'll pm you their details now and you can run it past them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Greyhounds are perfect dogs for apartment living. they are extremely laid back dogs and quiet lazy in fact.

If you walk the dog in the morning and evening there should be no issue . . .

Don't listen to all people in here going extreme. a well balanced, exercised daily and older dog can stay on its own.

I think the dog walker is VITAL for a puppy though. I had a dog walker for 2 years, on top of morning and evening walks but I feel now at 2 years of age they have calmed down a lot and it's no longer needed but they ALWAYS get walked twice a day. it's enough. human interaction, make sure he will get plenty when you're around, although Greyhounds are happy to be on the couch . . .

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

hollypink wrote: »
    I've always wanted a dog but I've practically no experience with them (we never had pets when I was growing up) so I was hoping for some advice.
    If you have no experience with or know dogs well, then I would like to offer some advice.

After you have gone over the essentials mentioned so far (and no doubt more to come), eg financial ability, physical well being, walking, training, etc... I suggest you look into something that can often be overlooked, that is how dogs think and view the world.
    It might seem obvious but you would be very surprised how many people can forget that dogs, though having many traits in common with us that enable them to live with humans very comfortably indeed, are also quite different to us in how they view and rationalise the world around them.
    Having even a small bit of this knowledge can dramatically enhance the relationship you can have with a dog and vice versa. Part of this for example is learning how to "speak" and understand their language, just think of the huge difference in the relationship you can have with another human just by speaking their language, and no human instinctively speaks or understands "Dog" anymore than they do German.
    I won't go into the ins and outs of this beyond just asking you to look into it if you so desire, but I would highly recommend it, (and if you do you will seriously wonder why those that don't, don't do it also).

Googling names like, Stanley Coren, Bruce Fogel and Patricia McConnell can give you a start, if you so wish.

I wish you the very best of luck and I really hope you do get one, because you seem just like the type of person who could give it a good home.
    Remember every dog homed is one life saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I do some small scale rehoming of lurchers and greyhounds and while I think that yes, many of them would be suited to apartment living, I don't agree that they can be left from 9 - 5, 5 days a week, even with a walk before and after work, without having someone come in and break up the day for them.

Yes, they are generally lazy, yes they are generally quiet dogs who don't bark too much, but like all dogs they want company. So unless you can, between yourself, friends, neighbours or a dog walker, have someone come in and break up the day for the dog, I wouldn't recommend a greyhound or any dog really. Its a long time for any dog to have to hold their bladder, and many adult rescue dogs will still need work on their toilet training, not just puppies.

I think the most obvious problem that you might have in this situation is that the dog might initially seem to be ok with the routine of being left for a long period of time but as they settle and begin to bond with you, they may begin not to like it so much and in a worst case scenario it could lead to separation anxiety. There are ways of dealing with separation anxiety and it isn't the end of the world but in my experience it is in the top 3 reasons why an adopter would want to hand a dog back.

It might be a good idea initially to foster a greyhound for a rescue and see how you get on. I have had dogs go into foster homes for assessment who I have been certain would be fine to be left for a number of hours while the owner works, who have turned out to not be suitable at all, and others who have been fine who I would have suspected would have been destructive and upset at being left.

There will always be people who will come on and say that they leave their dog from 9-5 every day and they have no trouble, and that's great for them and the dog if that is the case, but I think most people involved in rescue, from experience would feel that 9 - 5 is too long without a break in the day. Also, I have found that when people who work 9 - 5 contact me, it is always the case that they are working 9 - 5, but are leaving their house earlier than 9 to get to work and not getting home until after 5, so the dog is in fact being left for longer.

And before people starting giving out about rescues not rehoming to working people, that is not the case with me. I judge each situation on its own merits and take into account the type of home the owner can offer above all else but I will not rehome to that situation unless there is something put in place to break the day up for the dog. I have found most prospective adopters to be very open to getting a dog walker/family member to help out.

And as time goes on you may find that the dog in question is actually fine to be left for the full day some days without a break, as is the case with one dog I rehomed, but I would never recommend assuming this at the beginning of the process just because the dog is a lazy greyhound!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Thanks for all the advice so far. Just to mention that I don't want to get a puppy as I don't think it would suit my situation really. Also on working 9-5, that's a good point; I do leave before 9 and am home around 5:30 or so, so it is longer than 8 hours. So I understand a dog walker during the day would be a necessity (family is not an option as none live close by).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 1Tony1

I found this website very good when looking at different breeds and finding which suited me best, http://www.mylocalvet.ie/articles/Best-Dog-Breed-for-Me-c-18-1.html . Its very important as a first time owner to pick an easy going dog and follow the advice of professionals, this website also has a list of vets in different areas maybe you could find one in your area and ask them for advice generally vets are more than happy to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Vel wrote: »
    I do some small scale rehoming of lurchers and greyhounds and while I think that yes, many of them would be suited to apartment living, I don't agree that they can be left from 9 - 5, 5 days a week, even with a walk before and after work, without having someone come in and break up the day for them.

Yes, they are generally lazy, yes they are generally quiet dogs who don't bark too much, but like all dogs they want company. So unless you can, between yourself, friends, neighbours or a dog walker, have someone come in and break up the day for the dog, I wouldn't recommend a greyhound or any dog really. Its a long time for any dog to have to hold their bladder, and many adult rescue dogs will still need work on their toilet training, not just puppies

What about if the OP adopted 2 greyhounds, would they be happy in each other's company for the day or would they still pine for their owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Magenta wrote: »
    What about if the OP adopted 2 greyhounds, would they be happy in each other's company for the day or would they still pine for their owner?

It really depends on the individual dogs. Some dogs I know who developed separation anxiety didn't get any comfort and reassurance from having another dog there.

For someone who has never had a dog before, I don't think I would particularly recommend adopting two at the same time unless the dogs themselves were already bonded and the rescue felt they would be a good match for each other and the new owner. Its certainly an option to consider but might not be the answer and could end up doubling the work of the adopter. I rehomed a greyhound and a lurcher to a home together who got on really well, shared a kennel etc. but it still didn't stop the lurcher from developing separation anxiety.

OP are there any doggy day care type facilities near where you live or near your work. It can work out quite expensive I know but even a couple of days a week at one of those could be useful.

We are also involved in organising group walks and play dates for people with pet greyhounds and lurchers and I know through this people have ended up minding each others dogs when they go on holiday, and meeting people in their areas who also have greyhounds/lurchers. There could very well be someone in your area with a greyhound already who works nights or part-time who might be interested in helping out some days, so I would suggest asking whatever rescue you go to if they know if they know of anyone in your area who might be able to help out or offer recommendations on dog walkers/day care etc.

Advertisement