Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to attend disciplinary meeting

Options
  • 20-08-2012 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

A colleague of mine is having a disciplinary meeting. He has asked me to attend as his support person. Although we do have a good professional relationship on the surface, I do not agree with a lot of his work practices, and have made this very clear to management over the past couple of months.

I know I wouldn't need to speak at the meeting but would not feel right attending it. How can I get myself out of it without admitting that I've made complaints against him? The biggest problem is that he seems to have just assumed that my answer will be yes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Judymayo

You will have to be honest but not completely honest, no point offending him. I suggest you say your not comfortable attending as you don't fully support his position and he deserves someone fully on his side. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whiplashy wrote: »
    A colleague of mine is having a disciplinary meeting. He has asked me to attend as his support person. Although we do have a good professional relationship on the surface, I do not agree with a lot of his work practices, and have made this very clear to management over the past couple of months.

I know I wouldn't need to speak at the meeting but would not feel right attending it. How can I get myself out of it without admitting that I've made complaints against him? The biggest problem is that he seems to have just assumed that my answer will be yes!

By any chance is the disciplinary meeting due to your complaints against him to the management? Can you back up your allegations? I would perhaps seek legal advice relevant to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My personal feeling is that legal advice seems a little premature. But I would talk to management.

Part of the disciplinary procedure is that the employee has the right to hear details of all complaints so he can defend himself. Whatever about the OP, it's definitely not fair to his colleague if his witness is one of the people making complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to my manager today who assured me that this meeting would have been called regardless of the complaints I made. She also said that the complaints would not need to be used at the meeting as there is enough evidence without them. She advised me to just attend the meeting as I won't need to say anything, but as has already been pointed out this really wouldn't be fair to my colleague.

I did say to him today that I wouldn't feel comfortable going to the meeting but as I don't have to speak he thinks I should go too! I feel a severe case of food poisoning coming on! I mightn't agree with all of his work practices but he does have the right to have a support person who actually supports him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I spoke to my manager today who assured me that this meeting would have been called regardless of the complaints I made. She also said that the complaints would not need to be used at the meeting as there is enough evidence without them. She advised me to just attend the meeting as I won't need to say anything, but as has already been pointed out this really wouldn't be fair to my colleague.

I did say to him today that I wouldn't feel comfortable going to the meeting but as I don't have to speak he thinks I should go too! I feel a severe case of food poisoning coming on! I mightn't agree with all of his work practices but he does have the right to have a support person who actually supports him.

OK lets presume this goes a certain conclusion, and this person was dismissed. So they seek legal representation and give an account of what happened. Where disclosure was sought - the complaints that led to any disciplinary action would be on file.

The fact that the company sought or even asked to have an employee who made a complaint, attend a disciplinary meeting in a position of trust for the employee whom they wish to discipline would be highly irregular and would put both the company and the employee who made the complaint in a very dubious position

I would be wary of any further action on your behalf without some professional advice.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would just tell him that you do not feel comfortable acting as a witness even if you don't have to speak and that you would prefer if he arranged for someone else to attend.

Advertisement