Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel room not as advertised

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

CoachTO wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comparison to make. Two totally different instances. The things listed are extras in the hotel room. The €69 is the price of the room. You are adding things to the argument to beef up your own point and simply trying to ridicule my points by twisting them how you please.

Would you be happy buying a car and not getting half the features listed? Sure they're only extras

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would write to both the hotel and laterooms. Include in it a copy of the deal you bought. State what you didn't receive and what you were unhappy about and ask they to review the situation.

Each of them will probably write back to you so send a copy of the others reply to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

MOH wrote: »
    Would you be happy buying a car and not getting half the features listed? Sure they're only extras

Again 2 different situations. If I was buying a car I would 100% check it out first before bothering to buy it. Same thing I do with hotel rooms I find the hotel's actual website to confirm its a good room.

In the case of comparing a car and a hotel room its another stupid example. Extras in a car are part of the car. Extras in a hotel room are generally things that can be removed and for the most part insignificant to the room. i.e designer personal care products or extra fluffy pillows or a sewing kit or shoe shine etc etc. They are extras that would never change my mind on a room.

Morale of the story I would never take any ad to be 100% accurate without checking the facts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CoachTO wrote: »
    Again 2 different situations. If I was buying a car I would 100% check it out first before bothering to buy it. Same thing I do with hotel rooms I find the hotel's actual website to confirm its a good room.

In the case of comparing a car and a hotel room its another stupid example. Extras in a car are part of the car. Extras in a hotel room are generally things that can be removed and for the most part insignificant to the room. i.e designer personal care products or extra fluffy pillows or a sewing kit or shoe shine etc etc. They are extras that would never change my mind on a room.

Morale of the story I would never take any ad to be 100% accurate without checking the facts first.

Why do you keep going in about the extra's bit?. Surely the part about the room being comparitively ridiculously priced is the bigger issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Corholio wrote: »
    Why do you keep going in about the extra's bit?. Surely the part about the room being comparitively ridiculously priced is the bigger issue.

Did the OP actually check with the hotel to see if the Room was ever advertised or sold at €399? If not, none of us are in the position to say the room was never sold or advertised at €399. And therefore whats the point on commenting on something without the full facts. The OP also made more of a deal about the extras hence why I commented on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

noah45 wrote: »
    Hi, I booked 1 night in a Dublin hotel online via laterooms.com
    Great value at €65 room only.
    Now according to laterooms.com this room normally costs €399 per night!!!!!

Anyway the room that I booked is described by them as follows:

Superior Double/Twin Room including luxury duvets, large fluffy towels, writing desk,

Bath, Shower, Power Shower, Bath/Shower, En Suite, Hair Dryer, Designer Toiletries, Bathrobe (on request)
    Air Conditioning In-Room Control, Climate Control, Heating, Hairdryer, Safe, Safe with laptop capacity, Complimentary Newspaper, Newspaper on request, Iron and Ironing Board, Iron and Ironing Board on request, Full-Length Mirror, Make Up Mirror, Double Wardrobe, Sewing Kit, Shoe Shine,[/B] [/B]Wake Up Calls, Daily Housekeeping, Sound Proof, City Map, Sofa, Double Glazing, Executive Floor, Windows open

Well, duvet is as thin as a newspaper and there is no complimentary newspaper
    2 small non fluffy towels that are not even bath towels!
    2 tiny bottles toiletries-1 shampoo and 1 body wash, 1 tiny soap
    air conditioning is a plug in fan!
    No shoe polish or sewing kit- not important

I booked this as a surprise for my husbands birthday and was thrilled at the bargain considering what I thought I was getting.

I said it to the receptionist, and I do realise that the problem is with laterooms.com and their false advertising and not with the hotel.

I have emailed laterooms.com just now, but am wondering if I have any comeback?

The rooms is very basic and its grand but it is not at all as advertised.

I think some of the information was meant to be either deleted or highlighted on the advert above. Why would they offer offer an iron and ironing board AND an iron and ironing board on request/ complementary newspaper AND newspaper on request etc? I think maybe that's where what the OP was expecting and what they got got confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

I think some of the information was meant to be either deleted or highlighted on the advert above. Why would they offer offer an iron and ironing board AND an iron and ironing board on request/ complementary newspaper AND newspaper on request etc? I think maybe that's where what the OP was expecting and what they got got confused.

I am not confused! and you have just highlighted another part of the ad which is incorrect.

The problem is not the room, it is the false advertising and the fact that we should not accept this.

That is what is wrong here, we sit back and let companies do this.

I do not want anything from the hotel or laterooms other than for them to realise that they are falsely advertising and to correct the ad.

CoachTo you don't seem to get it at all, I thought the room was grand, it was ideal for €65 but I just feel it should be advertised as it was... just a basic room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right. A blaze attitude on the subject helps no one. We've moved beyond caveat emptor when dealing with consumers for very good reasons. That said even over a hundred years ago a very dim view was taken of people attempting to mislead or riggle out of their obligations.

It's simple - Was the room as advertised? If not, are the hotel complicit - easily tested. If so they are are bad as late rooms and the OP and the vast majority of people posting here have a right to be angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

CoachTo I don't want an argument with you, but its because of attitudes like yours that companies get away with things like this.

You are quite entitled to your view, and I do not think I should have to research a room before I book it. I should be given correct information in the first instance.

We have to agree to disagree here.

Advertisement