Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power control for 1/4HP motor - how to replace?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a beekeeper. Every summer I use an ancient centrifugal extractor, driven by a 1/4HP electric motor, to spin out the honey. I plug it into the mains & use a potentiometer to turn it on & off, & regulate the speed.

Last week my trusty extractor died - the box with the potentiometer flashed, blew a fuse & died. I replaced the fuse & it restarted, then blew a fuse again. It's dead. Here's a pic of the box open. As you can see I have bypassed all the electrics - I connected the motor direct to the mains & controlled it via the wall switch - hairy but it worked.

217799.jpg

The company that made the power control box doesn't exist any more.

I went up to Maplins & got another potentiometer which I can stick in - but I think the circuit board is dead (it flashed bright). Can anyone suggest what the function of the circuitry is, and how I might replace it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry for the v. large image. Can't delete it now :(

Comments

Advertisement