Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack White - The o2 - 31st Oct

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Saw'em in London in May & although the sound was better in Dublin I thought the buzz in London was much better, thought the O2 was too big a room for'em & the crowd weren't that into it apart from the uber big hits
    Ireland of course has no decent 5k'ish capacity venue though which would've been ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm getting old - my ears are still ringing after it. I've got to start wearing ear plugs.

Jack White was tremendous though - fantastic performer. The support had a decent song or two but overall I wasn't blown away by him.

Some odd people in the crowd. One guy in front of me at the start couldn't decide if he was going to sway from side to side, jump up and down or rock back and forth so he tried to do all three at the same time with complete disregard for anyone around him.

Heard someone exclaim, "Oh my god that song was in Napoleon Dynamite - did Jack White write it?" during We Are Going to Be Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Heard someone exclaim, "Oh my god that song was in Napoleon Dynamite - did Jack White write it?" during We Are Going to Be Friends.

:eek: and :mad: and :(.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

Yeah, fantastic gig. Great mix of old and new. The sound in the O2 was a bit bass-heavy and muffled at times I thought (especially drums and vocals) - could have been where I was standing though. His band 'The Peacocks' were fantastic (both in looks and musical ability :)). Great atmosphere in the crowd. Really enjoyed it.

(They siad that their 'offical photographer' was putting those pics on line - Must look out for those... I'm assuming that it will be on Jack White official page ???)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rungerryrun

Yeah really enjoyed the gig. Thought the dynamic between the band and Jack was entertaining. Felt they were enjoying it as much as we were. Nice country and bluegrass feel to the middle of the gig, and Jacks wide influences are breathtaking. Totally agree about the bassy sound, ruined Willy Moons tunes as they came across really hollow and thuddy (is that a word). There were about 6000 people last night in the 02, and really a smaller venue in Dublin is needed for this amount. Like the O2, so much better than the old Point for sound, but it feels too big if there are not more than 10,000 people at venue.
    Good gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Really enjoyed it last night. I agree it was a bit bass-y, especially when she cracked out her electric bass. I also found it became overly distorted when they really started rocking out. We were seated, 2nd row back. Ive learnt my lesson about being short and not being able to see at gigs, especially when they have no big screen like last night. Seated all the way for me :) Also means I dont get sweaty crazy people that cant decide how to dance, right in my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Is he still alternating between an all-male and all-female band on different nights during the tour?

The roadies were all suited up too so I was thinking they might be roadies one night and backing band the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Raoul

Absolutely unreal gig. Can't get over how good it was. I agree with the bass heavy but only on the songs where she was using the electric bass. Really would love to go see him again tonight or something. I enjoyed it that much. Bargain at 40 euro.

Willy was hard to watch, weird and wasn't really that funny either. People were annoying me though by shouting stuff at him like stfu Willy and Willy are you pissed. No need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Air_Bass wrote: »

(They siad that their 'offical photographer' was putting those pics on line - Must look out for those... I'm assuming that it will be on Jack White official page ???)

yes same person does them. theyre usually up a couple of days after the gig.

think my ears have nearly recovered. jack was happiest ive seen since blackpool dvd gigs.

and yes, he swaps between buzzards and peacocks so some of the songs are played differently. was hoping for the peacocks after seeing the buzzards a month ago.

class class gig..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

MGMTea wrote: »
    Was chuffed when he played Carolina Drama :D Fantastic show.

Me too, damn I love that tune.

Like everyone else said super show, was very impresssed with the whole event. Sound was better than a couple of gigs Ive been to in O2, but still too muddy for me.

Great rocking tight band he's got. Is that Catherine Popper the bass player who was in Ryan Adam's Cardinals?

Reminded me of Dexy's Midnight Runners or modern day twist of Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue in appearance on a much smaller scale.

Setlist was superb with songs from all his incarnations.

Willy Moon was dreadful imo.

Wont be missing him next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

Is there going to be a 3rd Raconteurs album?
    Anyone have any idea?
    1st album was good. 2nd one was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

Also Brendan Benson's stuff is so-so.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 brenmusic

Did anyone read some reviews of the show? It was well received by the media too. Delighted to see that. He'll defo be back in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Raoul

brenmusic wrote: »
    Did anyone read some reviews of the show? It was well received by the media too. Delighted to see that. He'll defo be back in due course.

Links?

Advertisement