Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GPU

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi guys I'm updating my GPU and was wondering if i could get some help. I currently have a gt430 and am looking for a card that can run bf3, crysis and COD4 ect. They don't have to be on maxed out settings and i just want a decent frame rate (30+). I have a 500w power supply and my budget is €200 but will stretch it a bit if necessary.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

From my recent research on this topic the best(and almost only half-way decent) card in that price range is the 7850:

Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen, 1GB GDDR5

Or if you can stretch for it, the 2gb version would be even better:

Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5

What exactly is your PSU? A 500W should be sufficient to run a 7850, but if it's a cheapo one, that may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Softair

Bazzo wrote: »
    From my recent research on this topic the best(and almost only half-way decent) card in that price range is the 7850:

Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen, 1GB GDDR5

Or if you can stretch for it, the 2gb version would be even better:

Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5

What exactly is your PSU? A 500W should be sufficient to run a 7850, but if it's a cheapo one, that may not be the case.
    I've no idea what it is, all i know is its about 4 years old and came with the case when i got it back then. If you think its too old I'm open to replacing it if you could help me there too :)

thanks for the links to the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

As a rule of thumb, if it came with the case then I'd advise replacing it, as these are normally crappy PSUs(with a couple of exceptions).

I'd suggest going for the Amazon:

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

If you can't wait for it to come back in stock though, then check out Monotype's PSU guide:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76809394&postcount=44

And use it to pick out one you like.

Oh and some more good news. It seems AMD just did a haircut on their price plans, meaning that you may now be able to stretch for a 7870!

Advertisement