Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runs near Tullow

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

In tullow for a few days and looking for any local runs.
    Road running is a bit hairy and find myself jumping into ditches
    a bit too often.

Any coilte woods or trails not too far away?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mullaghreelan over near Kilkea isn't too far-you go through Castledermot.

If you don't mind laps, the walled garden at Duckett's Grove might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

What distances do you want to run?

I've never had any issues with vehicles on the back roads near Tullow, some of the main roads would be a bit dodgy alright. I can point you towards some of the quieter roads if you like.

For off road there would be a few sections of forestry tracks that would be a short drive from Tullow.
    There is a short loop off the Wicklow Way at Newry, I'm not sure of the distance, maybe 2-3 miles. Another sceanic area would be around Aghowle - just off the Tullow Shillelagh road - here you could do a loop of 4-5 miles with fantastic views of the surrounding countryside. These areas are unsigned except for the Wicklow Way signs so a look at an OS map would be no harm.
    There are two marked loop tracks at Kilbrannish Woods near Mount Leinster, again a beautiful, sceanic area but a further drive from Tullow than the previously mentioned routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I run on the roads around and near Ballon which is the next town over. The only main road I run on is the n80 and I run a 10 mile in/out loop from Ballon all on the hard shoulder which is fine. I would not run on any busy roads though as Git mentioned , some of the back roads around the area a fine to run on. The run in Kilbrannish is up around the windmills and is lovely , little bit on the tough side though.
    Another idea would be Altamont Gardens, but like ducketts grove it might be a little lappy!
    I will be starting to drive to Carlow town when it starts getting dark in the evening as the ring road is grand to run at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

you can run around the young woods at Rathwood also during opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jtims

You could do a run around ahade towards ardattin just out past mount wolesely some cars but dose be very quite at times

• Advertisement
Advertisement