Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are kids clothes VAT free?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

We just bought the kids uniforms, total cost was €182.49 , the receipt shows VAT of 23% on €65.05 and VAT on €102.49 at 0%, I can't understand how this works as all we bought was uniforms.....has anyone got an answer?

This is the breakdown.....

School jumper; 35.00
    School track suit bottoms; 30.00
    School Skirt; 45.00
    Hairband ; 2.99
    Hairband ; 2.50
    Track suit pants; 18.50
    School sweatshirt; 22.00
    School cardigan; 26.50

I don't know where the €65.05 came out of to charge 23% VAT on, no items add up to this amount.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

I think over a certain age there is VAT but I'm not 100% sure on that

What sizes were they? The "child's clothes" bit doesn't apply in practice, everyone I knew in school needed "adult size" footwear from 6th class onwards and most wore "men's trousers" while my mother can still buy "child size" runners for herself VAT free.

EDIT: The 65.05 @ 23% VAT means plus the VAT so it's 80 so guessing it's probably the jumper and skirt that VAT was charged on.

From the revenue website for children's clothes
    Clothing described, labelled, marked or marketed as being for children under 11 years of age up to & including chest size 32; waist size 26; height 152 cm or other equivalent sizes.
    )Up to & including size 5.5 (38 continental) or other equivalent. NB. Footwear marketed OTHER than for children would not qualify even within the above range. (2)For common styles concession fron 1/7/97 see Footwear Information Leaflet.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-00245.jsp
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-00243.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

€65.05 * 1.23 = 80.01 so that would suggest that you were charged VAT on some combination of the clothes which add up to €80.

Looks like either

Jumper+skirt = 80 (35+45)or
    Jumper+cardigan+pants (35+26.50+18.50) = 80

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

What sizes were they? The "child's clothes" bit doesn't apply in practice, everyone I knew in school needed "adult size" footwear from 6th class onwards and most wore "men's trousers" while my mother can still buy "child size" runners for herself VAT free.

EDIT: The 65.05 @ 23% VAT means plus the VAT so it's 80 so guessing it's probably the jumper and skirt that VAT was charged on.

No the VAT was €14.95 on €65.05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Doom wrote: »

No the VAT was €14.95 on €65.05

€65.05 + VAT of €14.95 (23%) = €80.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

as said above it down to specific sizes, AND it must be styled for children and revenue are deadfully strict on it.

Years ago it was a flat size, and one example was Converse, up to size 5 sold at IR£27.95 and size 6+ sold at IR£32.95! (1989 prices!!) whereas these days on the childrens range clearly marked as childrens range and up to a certain size are vat free.

Advertisement