Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

koi dying

• 20-08-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Looking for help with me koi,they havent ate in a week,their gasping for air on surface of water, decidious tree beside it loosing leaves for some reason,,their around 5 years old and 2 died today,dont know what to do....
    Anyone any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What sort of pond set up do you have? Get a water test kit and test the water right away. I would say you'll need to get them out of there and put them in a temporary space until you can fix the water issue in your pond.

Koi thrive in water with a PH of 7.4 but can exist in a PH between 7 and 9 as long as it doesn't fluctuate too much. You also need to test the levels of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites in the water - have a read of the aquariums section here about water testing and so on.

People on that forum can give you advice (because my first reaction would be to consider netting them and transferring them to your bath tub or some other receptacle that you can fill with water, treat to get rid of chlorine, test the PH and other water values, and that won't leach pollutants back into the water if the koi are in there for a couple of days, but I could be missing something vital - and this would only be a short term method, because koi in any body of water with no filter are going to slowly pollute the water they're in.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Warm weather and lack of oxygen is the likely cause. What filtration do you have? Is the pond stagnant? I'd drain off 20 percent of the existing water and top up with fresh as a temporary fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Rotting leaves in the water and not enough oxygen.

Get the garden hose into that pond sharpish!

Ideally try and get a pump running so there's proper agitation of the water.

If the leaves are dropping into the pond you should try and remove the ones that are in there and maybe pop a bit of netting over the pond to stop any more getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Thanks a million everyone,we took most of them out last nyt and there in a temporary storage at the moment,still a bit sluggish but look well improved,going to start draining pond tomorrow and also cut the trees down around it,will also test the water as someone said so im sure all this should sort them out,hopefully no more will die in the mean time,thanks for the advise..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Look at adding an external bio box filter if you do not already have one.
    You could also add an air pump/air stone to the pond which will help.
    Whilst a water change is a quick fix you need to look at the long term management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

Looking for help with me koi,they havent ate in a week,their gasping for air on surface of water, decidious tree beside it loosing leaves for some reason,,their around 5 years old and 2 died today,dont know what to do....
    Anyone any ideas please?

that's interesting, is it common for your decidious tree to lose it's leaves this early in the year usually? sounds like a change in the soil conditions around both the tree and pond. imagine it was a burst/leaking waste pipe, i've heard of gases being able to kill trees through their leaves, that wouldn't be too far of a stretch, hope you get to the source of it.

good luck;)

Advertisement