Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

muffler wrote: »
    Thats what Senna said - "BBC1/2/3/4"

Your mum should have no problems after Wednesday Senna. :)

Miaow!

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Miaow!

I'll get me coat.
    Mind the door doesn't hit you on the arse on the way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Miaow!

I'll get me coat.
    Mind the door doesn't hit you on the arse on the way out

Closed account :confused:

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Closed account :confused:
    Aye, quite a childish reaction to having something pointed out

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Your Mum is receiving Strabane, possibly Derry but definitely not Limavady, as the only digital terrestrial the NI relays are carrying right now are the BBCs.

She will definitely receive ITV/C4/C5 plus others on switchover on Wednesday.
    Not sure why you're ruling out Limavady?

It's quite possible that they are getting Limavady, but only the BBC A Multiplex (with the signal not good enough where they are to pull in the existing very weak DTT channels), as that's the only one on full power after the closure of BBC2 analogue.

It's the same for South of the county here, where people had fringe reception from Brougher Mountain, whereby there are a lot of multiplexes on air, but only the BBC A multiplex is receivable since it went full tilt after 10th October. There's a fair difference in power between 0.5kW that it was and 20kW now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

donegal. wrote: »
    i get the uk analogue stations at the minute, and yes i live near carn.
    i looked at the freeview coverage map linked above and it doesn't show coverage for my area.
    so would a "good Group C/D aerial" pick up freeview or would i be better of going with freesat/saorview combi ?

If you get the UK analogue channels from across the border then you should get Freeview with the same aerial. Have you tried tuning in a digital box or TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Freeview box will only do UK in Standard Def.
    Freeview HD will do UK and ROI in HD but may not do the interactive services (teletext etc)
    Saorview will do UK and ROI but only the Standard Def from UK.

Just looking through the thread, & saw this & didnt realise the above could happen:
    Is that with certain Freeview HD boxes that you can pick up the 8 Irish digital stations?
    & Saorview will pick up Standard Def UK stations.

Did i get that above correct?

I was helping a neighbour of mine plug in his saorview box, as he has both aerials RTE+TV3 & receiving the irish & english stations thru it,
    he also had a dish fitted a while back with an out of subscription sky box, but i turned it into a Freeview box with a link from this site.
    Maybe he didnt need a Saorview box?

Maybe this question is for a different forum

Also he receives the irish & uk stations in the 2nd tv in bedroom with an aerial split from the attic to tv, but not the saorview as the others are piped thru, as i assumed he could use the magic eye to change the channels?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Just looking through the thread, & saw this & didnt realise the above could happen:
    Is that with certain Freeview HD boxes that you can pick up the 8 Irish digital stations?
    & Saorview will pick up Standard Def UK stations.

Did i get that above correct?

I was helping a neighbour of mine plug in his saorview box, as he has both aerials RTE+TV3 & receiving the irish & english stations thru it,
    he also had a dish fitted a while back with an out of subscription sky box, but i turned it into a Freeview box with a link from this site.
    Maybe he didnt need a Saorview box?

Maybe this question is for a different forum

Also he receives the irish & uk stations in the 2nd tv in bedroom with an aerial split from the attic to tv, but not the saorview as the others are piped thru, as i assumed he could use the magic eye to change the channels?

Thanks.

The first paragraph is correct.
    Almost all uk Freeview hd boxes available today will recieve and display the Saorview channels also, but with differences to the uk and irish spec, then some will have problems with text or programme info for example. Also a saorview box will recieve and display both saorview and the uk sd (but not hd) channels.

What this really means is that if you can recieve both irish and uk digital aerial signals and are connecting a box to a tv that cannot show hd then a saorview box will suffice but if it is a hd capable tv then you can use a saorview box or instead consider (after researching the model type) a uk freeview hd box which will add the uk hd channels.

The second paragraph is confusing to be honest but i would assume that you mean that he can or will be able to recieve the digital irish and uk channels through his aerial system, also that he has a skybox being used as a freesat (not freeview) system.
    The saorview box is needed for rte as they are not available on freesat.

How you proceed would depend on whether he is recieving a full uk freeview service from a main transmitter or a freeview light service from a relay transmitter. Main transmitters supply a full service of public service and commercial channels whereas relay transmitters only supply public service (known as PSB) channels. That is bbc utv ch4 and 5 mostly.

Personally speaking then if it is the full uk and irish service through the aerial, (you will know tomorrow), then i would remove the skybox.

If it is a freeview light service and he still wants the uk commercial channels then he will need the skybox and also the saorview box.
    The skybox can be controlled from second room using a magic eye but saorview boxes cannot, therefore he will also need a second saorview box for rte, tv3 etc. in that room. (every tv that cannot recieve saorview through it,s inbuilt tuner will need a saorview box added).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Ah might as well brighten the mood in here.

Anytime Ma has an issue i get a call so i knew the last week or so would be "fun"

she was going to buy a tv saorview approved, delighted i thought but nope changes mind, gets an oldish tv from a friend had spare and a saorview box.

queue lots of phonecalls as she tries to tune it in (i don't know the tv menus or setup, heck i don't even know the make!)

anywho get a call last night she had to get a different TV as she couldn't fit the thing into the aerial.

right so TV older than i thought i guess and no scart. She got another tv though but its strange that the picture isn't as good on this one as the other one.

It slowly starts clicking into place.

She wasn't actually using the signal from the saorview box but the old analogue one. she didn't know thar rhe service was active at the minute it was just to bad that the other tv could only take the DVD player.

Turns out the first TV did have a scart cable connection but only one so it was either saorview or DVD player.

She wasn't impressed when i told her of a scart cable splitter from the 2 euro shops.

Quite a bit of swearing after that!

TL;DR - if you ever have to be tech support for a relative with little tech experience its better to do it in person

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

danniemcq wrote: »
    ..if you ever have to be tech support for a relative with little tech experience its better to do it in person

Or try to get out of it asap - every time I've been down with the folks over the last month we've had the exact same conversation where I explain Digital again from scratch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Hi guys,
    Is anyone getting utv or channel 4 in Donegal town on digital?
    I have an mpeg4 tv connected through an ariel and I get saorview and the bbc channels on digital but can't get anything else. Anyone having a similar issue?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have an mpeg4 tv connected through an ariel and I get saorview and the bbc channels on digital but can't get anything else. Anyone having a similar issue?
    Thanks

C4 etc not coming online until tomorrow: http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=8283

C4 etc not coming online until tomorrow: http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=8283
    Ah, forgive my ignorance. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Thanks jonnygee, for that info, i'm late replying but i'll digest that info tomoro, as it may become less confusing after 10am tomoro morning :D
    danniemcq wrote: »

Turns out the first TV did have a scart cable connection but only one so it was either saorview or DVD player.

She wasn't impressed when i told her of a scart cable splitter from the 2 euro shops.

Quite a bit of swearing after that!

TL;DR - if you ever have to be tech support for a relative with little tech experience its better to do it in person

I've tried using a scart cable splitter also from the 2euro shop as my neighbour had 2 scart sockets against four appliances - saorview, old sky sd box, dvd player+vcr, but the pictures & sounds from both the dvd & sky/saorview depending on the set-up were clashing:confused:, so i took it out & put the saorview+sky back.

What is the usual way as i meant to ask here, but didnt get around to it, til i saw that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Thanks jonnygee, for that info, i'm late replying but i'll digest that info tomoro, as it may become less confusing after 10am tomoro morning :D

I've tried using a scart cable splitter also from the 2euro shop as my neighbour had 2 scart sockets against four appliances - saorview, old sky sd box, dvd player+vcr, but the pictures & sounds from both the dvd & sky/saorview depending on the set-up were clashing:confused:, so i took it out & put the saorview+sky back.

What is the usual way as i meant to ask here, but didnt get around to it, til i saw that post.

with something like that the signal from say the saorview box would go through the dvd player and then into the TV.

from what i recall most* DVD and VCR players have input and outputs. so signal from sky/saorview can run into them and then from there into the TV.

if you had all 4 going into the one box you might have had an issue with both boxes trying to send the signals down the same channel.

splitting them though might help but someone else might know more!

*not the one my ma had typical

Just did a scan on a couple of TVs and I now have the UK freeview channels. Happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Just did a scan on a couple of TVs and I now have the UK freeview channels. Happy days. :)

Same as :) my mother is happy she can finally watch The Chase again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hi guys,
    Thanks
    you should now be getting utv, utv +1, itv 2, c4, e4, more 4, c5.
    for some reason they are near perfect, bbcs are dodgy, in a valley though which is probably screwing me over.
    up to 21 channels now hurray!

actually looking at the time of your post another half hour and you would have had them!

overshoot wrote: »
    for some reason they are near perfect, bbcs are dodgy, in a valley though which is probably screwing me over.
    up to 21 channels now hurray!

actually looking at the time of your post another half hour and you would have had them!
    Hi thanks, ill check when I get hope. Has anyone any idea of what all channels are coming online. Are the anymore other than the channels above we should expect to get in Donegal town?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

overshoot wrote: »

Are these the only stations within reach of Donegal. Getting same on the TV scan this morning.

Both Derry and Strabane on free-view spectrum receive the full allocation including Film 4, ITV 3 & 4, 4 Music, Dave etc to name a few. Is anyone getting all the channels over 15 direct miles plus from any NI receiver.

Or may these additional channels come on stream later today or coming days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hi thanks, ill check when I get hope. Has anyone any idea of what all channels are coming online. Are the anymore other than the channels above we should expect to get in Donegal town?
    Thanks again
    i just listed what i got on the scan this morning, (also had another +1.. e4 maybe and some channel showing cycling at 1 which was dodgy too and couldnt work out what it was.)
    hopefully we are just waiting md23040... and were not too far to get them!

Here's the full list of digital TV and radio channels available from both Limavady and Strabane

1 BBC One Northern Ireland,
    2 BBC Two Northern Ireland,
    3 UTV (UTV),
    4 Channel 4 NI ads,
    5 Channel 5 NI ads,
    6 ITV 2
    7 BBC Three,
    9 BBC Four,
    13 Channel 4+1 NI ads,
    14 More 4,
    28 E4,
    33 UTV+1 (UTV),
    70 CBBC Channel,
    71 CBeebies,
    80 BBC News,
    81 BBC Parliament,
    200 BBC Red Button,
    202 Rabbit,
    203 Gay Rabbit,
    700 BBC Radio 1,
    701 BBC 1Xtra,
    702 BBC Radio 2,
    703 BBC Radio 3,
    704 BBC Radio 4,
    705 BBC Radio 5 Live,
    706 BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra,
    707 BBC 6 Music,
    708 BBC Radio 4 Extra,
    709 BBC Asian Network,
    710 BBC World Service,
    719 BBC Radio Ulster,
    720 BBC Radio Foyle,
    726 U105,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

byte wrote: »
    Not sure why you're ruling out Limavady?

It's quite possible that they are getting Limavady, but only the BBC A Multiplex (with the signal not good enough where they are to pull in the existing very weak DTT channels), as that's the only one on full power after the closure of BBC2 analogue.

Looks like you're right byte, the signal is coming from Limavady, still getting analogue BBC1 today.
    Problem is CH4/ITV have begun broadcasting but the signal isn't good enough to watch (flicker/block picture, sound comes and goes), maybe the signal power will be increased? or i'll just have to try and get the aerial pointed at Strabane and hope the hills dont block it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Here's the full list of digital TV and radio channels available from both Limavady and Strabane

3 UTV (UTV),
    4 Channel 4 NI ads,
    5 Channel 5 NI ads,
    6 ITV 2
    7 BBC Three,
    9 BBC Four,
    13 Channel 4+1 NI ads,
    14 More 4,
    28 E4,
    33 UTV+1 (UTV),
    70 CBBC Channel,
    71 CBeebies,
    80 BBC News,
    81 BBC Parliament,
    200 BBC Red Button,
    202 Rabbit,
    203 Gay Rabbit, :eek: :D
    700 BBC Radio 1,
    701 BBC 1Xtra,
    702 BBC Radio 2,
    703 BBC Radio 3,
    704 BBC Radio 4,
    705 BBC Radio 5 Live,
    707 BBC 6 Music,
    708 BBC Radio 4 Extra,
    709 BBC Asian Network,
    710 BBC World Service,
    719 BBC Radio Ulster,
    720 BBC Radio Foyle,
    726 U105,

Thats a new one!

Thats a new one!
    Not really. Rabbits swing both ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

3 UTV (UTV),
    4 Channel 4 NI ads,
    5 Channel 5 NI ads,
    6 ITV 2
    7 BBC Three,
    9 BBC Four,
    13 Channel 4+1 NI ads,
    14 More 4,
    28 E4,
    33 UTV+1 (UTV),
    70 CBBC Channel,
    71 CBeebies,
    80 BBC News,
    81 BBC Parliament,
    200 BBC Red Button,
    202 Rabbit,
    203 Gay Rabbit,
    700 BBC Radio 1,
    701 BBC 1Xtra,
    702 BBC Radio 2,
    703 BBC Radio 3,
    704 BBC Radio 4,
    705 BBC Radio 5 Live,
    707 BBC 6 Music,
    708 BBC Radio 4 Extra,
    709 BBC Asian Network,
    710 BBC World Service,
    719 BBC Radio Ulster,
    720 BBC Radio Foyle,
    726 U105,

That would be Derry and Strabane, Limavady have quite a few more, Dave, Really, Watch, Film 4 to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3 UTV (UTV),
    4 Channel 4 NI ads,
    5 Channel 5 NI ads,
    6 ITV 2
    7 BBC Three,
    9 BBC Four,
    13 Channel 4+1 NI ads,
    14 More 4,
    28 E4,
    33 UTV+1 (UTV),
    70 CBBC Channel,
    71 CBeebies,
    80 BBC News,
    81 BBC Parliament,
    200 BBC Red Button,
    202 Rabbit,
    203 Gay Rabbit,
    700 BBC Radio 1,
    701 BBC 1Xtra,
    702 BBC Radio 2,
    703 BBC Radio 3,
    704 BBC Radio 4,
    705 BBC Radio 5 Live,
    707 BBC 6 Music,
    708 BBC Radio 4 Extra,
    709 BBC Asian Network,
    710 BBC World Service,
    719 BBC Radio Ulster,
    720 BBC Radio Foyle,
    726 U105,

yeh that was a surprise, did a manual scan - fully expecting nothing , never managed to get a freeview signal before and up popped UTV, cant complain, wonder if we'll get the full freeview list anytime

to answer my own question

found this on a freeview website (and looking at strabane its the same) in answer to whether dave/ film 4 will be available
    Tim: No, Carnmoney will remain "Freeview Lite". This is because the Commercial broadcasters (those that won't be transmitting from Carnmoney Hill) don't consider the expense worthy of the return.

The achieve 90% coverage of the population from 81 of the largest transmitters (largest by viewer population). There are over 1,000 small relays like Carnmoney and these serve about 8.5% of the population. The cost to the Commercial broadcasters to transmit from these relays would roughly double their cost of transmission and this, they decided, isn't worth it.

Advertisement