Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and registration fees??

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

I think ive missed out on something. I assumed if i was on BTEA that all the fees where paid for but then i came across this section and seen people applying to SUSI.

What do i need to do now? Do i just apply to susi to have my fees paid or what do i need to do? Am i too late or anything?

Where did you all hear about Susi also. No one mentioned anything like that to me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

BTEA is basically the dole during college term.
    If you haven't been to third level education before you should get the EU free fees, but there is still a contribution charge to be paid.
    SUSI is the grant application and can be done online. You can apply here to get them to pay that contribution charge, but it is up to them.
    Info here
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

Apply to SUSI as soon as you can. I think they close applications on the 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

For the EU free fees how does it work? Ill apply for SUSI now.

Thanks

If you have no previous attendance at a third level uni it is done automatically. You don't have to apply or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Maldesu wrote: »
    If you have no previous attendance at a third level uni it is done automatically. You don't have to apply or anything.

Can I just clarify this ? This is my first third level course. Your saying I dont do anything, I just dont get charged the fees ? Or I get charged a minimal amount ?

I am a mature student, havent yet gotten BTEA. I assume this is still possible and as I have been on Jobseekers for two years I can get it. But as far as the fees as concerned I dont have to apply to get free fees ?

Free Fees is what the EU will pay for your attendance at 3rd level. You usually only get this once, so if you had attended before you would have to pay for this. If you are eligible for free fees the college will check for you and do the work. You don't have to do anything.
    Since this is your first time, you should be getting the fees paid.

You still have to pay the contribution fee which is over €2000, but the SUSI grant may cover this or part of it.
    You should be ok on BTEA as the requirement is about 9 months.
    Depending on what college you go to, you will have to pay a student levy, but the cost varies.

A usual course break down is something like this

€5809 = total
    €3376 = college tuition paid by the EU Free fees
    €2250 = student contribution charge (SUSI may pay this)
    €183 = student levy (Paid by student)

UCD has a good section on fees which you can read here
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Maldesu is on the ball there. Just one thing though. Its not really the EU paying free fees anymore its mostly the Irish taxpayer ;) The EU used to subsidise the fees for IOT students but I don't think they do that to the same level now.

If you have applied for BTEA thats your weekly money sorted but to get the registration fee of €2250 paid you HAVE to apply to SUSI. Closing date is the 31st of August. http://www.studentfinance.ie

Tuition fees in respect of first time third level participants and eligible 2nd chance students are automatically claimed from the Dept of Education by the college. You don't need to do anything about those.

Can I ask one more thing ? When applying for the BTEA what documents for the college do you need ? Do I have to wait until I am registered before applying ? Or Do I apply now with my acceptance letter ?

The college don't need anything from you about BTEA.
    If you haven't sent in your application for BTEA already, send it in now. When you have registered for classes you can get a letter off your college stating that you have registered and when you start.
    My local SW office wanted the letter dated the first day of lectures, which was done and just left in to the office. Payment switched over right after it.

If you haven't sent in your application for BTEA already, send it in now. When you have registered for classes you can get a letter off your college stating that you have registered and when you start.
    My local SW office wanted the letter dated the first day of lectures, which was done and just left in to the office. Payment switched over right after it.

Excellent thanks.

Are you on BTEA now or was this last year?

• Advertisement

Just finished first year. Will be going into second in a few weeks. Just spend the morning picking my modules. :D

Yeah but is your summer months over yeah. So your back on BTEA for 2013 now yeah.

I just have to give in a date of start and i think ill switch straight over. I was just wondering how long that took.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

is it possible to get BTEA even when fees aren't paid?,for example i have come to an agreement with my college to pay regestration fees on a monthly basis however i won't be registered until the full amount is paid.

euddue wrote: »
    is it possible to get BTEA even when fees aren't paid?,for example i have come to an agreement with my college to pay regestration fees on a monthly basis however i won't be registered until the full amount is paid.

Go straight down to your local SW office and fill in the form for BTEA. Takes about 10 mins. Then apply with SUSI and see what happens with a refund for the fees.

If your on JS for 9 months and going to college you most likely are entitled. You also qualify if you were made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭euddue

Media999 wrote: »
    Go straight down to your local SW office and fill in the form for BTEA. Takes about 10 mins. Then apply with SUSI and see what happens with a refund for the fees.

If your on JS for 9 months and going to college you most likely are entitled. You also qualify if you were made redundant.

i'm 100% entitled to the BTEA but not to the grant because i'm not living on 'll my own long enough,that's why i have to pay the fees.I just want to make sure i'll be able to get my BTEA and pay the monthly installments as i won't be officially registered if that makes sense.

Media999 wrote: »
    Yeah but is your summer months over yeah. So your back on BTEA for 2013 now yeah.

I just have to give in a date of start and i think ill switch straight over. I was just wondering how long that took.

Not yet. BTEA will switch back when I send in the letter saying I'm back in lectures. That will be the 10th when I get the letter, so the switch will happen after. Think it took a week.

euddue wrote: »

If you have a letter showing proof of attendance with the start date clearly on it, you should be fine as long as you meet the BTEA requirements. Usually if you go to the student desk saying/program office saying you need the letter for SW they will do you up one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Uoga

Hi All. Very useful info. Thank you.
    One more Q: when BTEA lapses at the end of term, what payment if any I'm entitle to? On JB at the moment, but will be giving up work, or, if lucky, will have a few hours p/wk

At the end of term I got a letter from the college stating the end date and start date of the new term. I had to give this SW to get signed onto JSB for the summer. Part time work shouldn't effect BTEA, but someone else might confirm that.

On a different note, I got a letter today from SW saying I was successful in my BTEA application (for the new term). Looks like other might find out if they were successful soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Uoga

Thanks Maldesu!

Good news - congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Congrats Maldesu and you are correct. :)
    Working during the summer wont affect your BTEA for the following September as long as you are progressing into the next year of your course. If its a new course you need to be on a JSA or JSB payment.

Advertisement