Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarships 2012

• 21-08-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭

Information here.
    www.allirelandscholarships.com/

Has anyone yet been contacted about being awarded one of these scholarships?
    I saw that last year winners were contacted earlier than this.
    I'm getting nervous now, this grant could change my life effectively.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I got my consideration letter about 4/5 days after the offer IIRC. I got the offer itself around early september.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I got my consideration letter about 4/5 days after the offer IIRC. I got the offer itself around early september.

Thanks, that's a load off my mind, I thought they may have been waiting for acceptance of an offer before making contact.
    What's the difference between the letter of consideration and the offer though?
    Do they not award all those considered scholarships?
    And may I ask if it's not intrusive how many points you got in your LC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What are the chances of me getting one with my 520 odd L.C. Pity, it would've really came in handy! :rolleyes:

What are the chances of me getting one with my 520 odd L.C. Pity, it would've really came in handy! :rolleyes:

Not the worst chance in Longford actually!
    2 minimum per county remember.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Not the worst chance in Longford actually!
    2 minimum per county remember.
    God I hope everyone else did shíté.. I could really do with this tbh!

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's a load off my mind, I thought they may have been waiting for acceptance of an offer before making contact.
    What's the difference between the letter of consideration and the offer though?
    Do they not award all those considered scholarships?
    Well the letter of consideration more or less just describes the scholarship (€6,750 per year, who it's awarded to, who funds it, the requirements and so on) and asks you to return a form indicating that you wish to be considered for the scholarship.

The offer letter is just as the name implies. It asks you for your personal details and gives you the full terms and conditions of the scholarship as well the date of the ceremony.

I don't know for sure but I think that all those who get initial letters get a scholarship if they choose to be considered. It'd be cruel of them to tell people they were being considered for a scholarship they didn't apply for and then not even give them an offer.
    And may I ask if it's not intrusive how many points you got in your LC?
    580 under the "new" CAO system and 555 last year without the HL Maths bonus. I know people who got it on less and people who got it on more. It depends on your county.

Any chance of getting it with about 520ish points partyatmygaff? I'm from Longford, about 600 people sat the exams this year!

Any chance of getting it with about 520ish points partyatmygaff? I'm from Longford, about 600 people sat the exams this year!
    At 520 points, you're well above average and in such a small county with such little competition you've got a very realistic chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

They take your best five grades in awarding this scholarship, rather than your overall points.

They take your best five grades in awarding this scholarship, rather than your overall points.
    I think it's marks rather than grades. Otherwise everyone with over 500 points would be on equal footing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

Do you think I'd have a chance with 590 (565 without bonus maths points) in Dublin?;o

chibihito wrote: »
    Do you think I'd have a chance with 590 (565 without bonus maths points) in Dublin?;o
    You've got an excellent chance providing your five top grades (Presumably A1s) weren't all just barely on the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

You've got an excellent chance providing your five top grades (Presumably A1s) weren't all just barely on the mark.
    Ah, thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Timbo6

Seriously? Over a quarter of longford sat the exam in my school?!

Timbo6 wrote: »
    Seriously? Over a quarter of longford sat the exam in my school?!

Second fewest in the country after Leitrim's 410.
    Makes it very difficult for me in Dublin with 13500.

My top 5 grades give me 480 points, maths exclusive.
    Hoping to get one of the additional scholarships as I doubt I'm within the top 2 in the county.

Yep just 600! God I hope I get it now! My best 5 subjects out of 500 only gives me 440 though. :( 1xA1, 4xB1..

I don't think there's much hope tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

wow...i could really use this! got 600 in the LC, from clifden, galway.
    taking my best 5 subjects i got 490 without maths and 510 with maths, this scholarship would be amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

And you have to be exempt from paying the fee for the LC is it? :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ChemHickey wrote: »
    And you have to be exempt from paying the fee for the LC is it? :/

Yes, it means your family have the medical card, which is a fairly quick way of determining that they struggle financially.

• Advertisement

I think it's marks rather than grades. Otherwise everyone with over 500 points would be on equal footing.

So it's your %'s in 5 top subjects that's taken into account?
    spurious wrote: »
    Yes, it means your family have the medical card, which is a fairly quick way of determining that they struggle financially.

Is there anyway to find out how many people p/county had a medical card when sitting exams? Probably not, it sounds a bit over ambitious tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SarahMc0

Is there anyway to find out how many people p/county had a medical card when sitting exams? Probably not, it sounds a bit over ambitious tbh!

I think they do it based on if you paid for your exams. Anyone who paid sent in a form and a bank giro, anyone with a medical card filled out the form with details about their medical card. Or at least, I think that's it... :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

SarahMc0 wrote: »
    I think they do it based on if you paid for your exams. Anyone who paid sent in a form and a bank giro, anyone with a medical card filled out the form with details about their medical card. Or at least, I think that's it... :confused:

If your family have a medical card you are exempt from the LC fee. That's how they identify people.

Checking my post everyone morning.
    This is as big as Points/Offers for me.

Checking my post everyone morning.
    This is as big as Points/Offers for me.
    ^^ Wish I was that excited about it, I don't think there's any chance I got offered this! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

From Waterford, got 545 points. Got 3 A1s, A2, B1, and A1 in OL. Have a medical card.
    But sadly 1429 people sat the LC in Waterford.

I wonder...

P.S. Turns out I know a person who got it last year! Gonna ask her what she got. Oh and I know another girl who got it two years ago. Whoa..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Remaining hopeful of getting scholarship,it would be fantastic... have 545... and top 5 grades would be 3 A1'S, B3 and B2 455 points with 5 best subjects

iS that anyway realistic would anyone think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

No!!! you are gonna get it :( subzero

subz3r0 wrote: »
    From Waterford, got 545 points. Got 3 A1s, A2, B1, and A1 in OL. Have a medical card.
    But sadly 1429 people sat the LC in Waterford.

I wonder...

P.S. Turns out I know a person who got it last year! Gonna ask her what she got. Oh and I know another girl who got it two years ago. Whoa..

A guy from my school who got it last year had 575, 5 more than me.
    Competition's large in Dublin! Flipping 13500!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

A guy from my school who got it last year had 575, 5 more than me.
    Competition's large in Dublin! Flipping 13500!

You need to have a medical card and go to a non fee paying school. That will filter out loads of people.

Advertisement