Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarships 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

Eathrin wrote: »
    A guy from my school who got it last year had 575, 5 more than me.
    Competition's large in Dublin! Flipping 13500!

It's a minimum of 2 scholarships per county. 100 scholarships are given out in the Rep. of Ireland. After 2 are given per county there are still 48 left to be dispersed among counties with the highest population of people sitting the LC with medical cards. Last year there were 11 scholarships given out in Galway, 6 in Dublin so it's not just limited to 2 per county.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 victoria.eliza

If it's 5 best subjects I only got 440; 455 including maths.

Being from Cork, what's the likelyhood I'd be in with a chance? I'd imagine not very high...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

If it's 5 best subjects I only got 440; 455 including maths.

Being from Cork, what's the likelyhood I'd be in with a chance? I'd imagine not very high...:p

Not a chance I'm afraid. Even people from the smallest of counties win with around 530ish at least.

I probably won't get it either, I know people in other schools did better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Hey guys,

I got 625 in the LC (pretty sure its the highest in KK), have a medical card and went to a public school, however I don't think Im in the contention for the scholarship, can anyone shed some light as to why I havent got any letter in post or been considered for the award? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Hey guys,

I got 625 in the LC (pretty sure its the highest in KK), have a medical card and went to a public school, however I don't think Im in the contention for the scholarship, can anyone shed some light as to why I havent got any letter in post or been considered for the award? :(
    What makes you think you're not being considered? Letters were sent a week or two after offers were made (Or maybe after they were accepted, I can't quite remember).

If what you're saying is accurate, you're highly likely to get the letter sometime this week or next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

subz3r0 wrote: »
    You need to have a medical card and go to a non fee paying school. That will filter out loads of people.
    It's a minimum of 2 scholarships per county. 100 scholarships are given out in the Rep. of Ireland. After 2 are given per county there are still 48 left to be dispersed among counties with the highest population of people sitting the LC with medical cards. Last year there were 11 scholarships given out in Galway, 6 in Dublin so it's not just limited to 2 per county.

I'm well aware of this but it still makes it roughly 600 into 13500 times harder than say Longford to get into the top two.
    And I'm aware of the extra scholarships also, I was just making a point:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

Just got a letter that I'm being considered.
    My 5 best subjects are 3 A1s and 2 A2s, Dublin.
    I'm beyond happy C: Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

I got my letter this morning 4A1s 2 A2s... Dublin in the form under the bit have you applied for any other awards does that include SUSI grants :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure it's as blunt as just the highest points. I know of at least one person got a scholarship a few years ago with less than 550 points but who had overcome a lot of personal difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

kmf2012 wrote: »
    I got my letter this morning 4A1s 2 A2s... Dublin in the form under the bit have you applied for any other awards does that include SUSI grants :P
    No, it doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

Ok thanks :)

What makes you think you're not being considered? Letters were sent a week or two after offers were made (Or maybe after they were accepted, I can't quite remember).

If what you're saying is accurate, you're highly likely to get the letter sometime this week or next.

scratch that, got the letter today :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

*sigh* guess this means i'm out of contention! Oh well with only 440 with 5 subjects there wasn't much of a chance anyway! That scholarship would've definitely came in handy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Indeed. This thread got my hopes up yesterday :pac:

I thought with only 600 doing the Leaving in Longford, 440 from the top 5 subjects would be enough but apparently it's not! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Damogib

Waiting anxiously for the postman, he normally comes around this time :O

Got my letter of consideration :D
    Here's hoping the rest of the procedure goes smoothly.

Congratulations Cian!

Guys,
    does a letter of consideration mean you'll pretty much get it (unless someone beats you after rechecks)? :confused:

Guys,
    does a letter of consideration mean you'll pretty much get it (unless someone beats you after rechecks)? :confused:
    Usually yes.

Congratulations to everyone who got the scholarship! The hard work has finally paid off (Literally :p). Hope you all enjoy the ceremony in November.

• Advertisement

Usually yes.

Congratulations to everyone who got the scholarship! The hard work has finally paid off (Literally :p). Hope you all enjoy the ceremony in November.
    I'm guessing i'm not in contention since I didn't hear today, is that right partyatmygaff?

I'm guessing i'm not in contention since I didn't hear today, is that right partyatmygaff?

Well give it a day, it's possible that the post is delayed.

It's hard to tell. If you live in a rural area with a slow/dodgy postal service (Longford may well qualify as that... ;)) then you may just end up getting the letter tomorrow. It's very possible.

For those wondering when they'll get the offer letter... looking at the letters I received last year, the letter of consideration from the Dept. was sent out on the 24th August and the offer letter from the Trust itself was sent out on the 12th September.

Well give it a day, it's possible that the post is delayed.

Hopefully. Even though I doubt it! ;(.. Heard you're going Suit shopping Thursday Ciano <3
    It's hard to tell. If you live in a rural area with a slow/dodgy postal service (Longford may well qualify as that... ;)) then you may just end up getting the letter tomorrow. It's very possible.

For those wondering when they'll get the offer letter... looking at the letters I received last year, the letter of consideration from the Dept. was sent out on the 24th August and the offer letter from the Trust itself was sent out on the 12th September.

Longford= Definition of slow/dodgy.. I'll keep on hoping <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcnm1993

Hey guys I don't know if this is suitable for this thread but here it goes.
    I got my letter of consideration today for the scholarship but I'm just wondering will it influence my chances of getting the grant this year if I am awarded it?? Is it either 1 or the other?
    Btw I'm from Mayo and I got 595(including HL Maths) and my 5 best subjects were 3x A1s and 2xA2s. Does anyone know if I stand a chance? Thanks in advance =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Yay Cian :D

Hopefully. Even though I doubt it! ;(.. Heard you're going Suit shopping Thursday Ciano <3

I'm just picking up the one I've ordered :L
    I was looking at the €85 Dunnes Tux, but given the fantastic news this morning I think I'll splash out €125 in SuitCo. on their sale tux
    #Glamourlife :cool::pac:

mcnm1993 wrote: »
    Hey guys I don't know if this is suitable for this thread but here it goes.
    I got my letter of consideration today for the scholarship but I'm just wondering will it influence my chances of getting the grant this year if I am awarded it?? Is it either 1 or the other?
    Btw I'm from Mayo and I got 595(including HL Maths) and my 5 best subjects were 3x A1s and 2xA2s. Does anyone know if I stand a chance? Thanks in advance =)

You can have just one Scholarship as far as I'm aware but you can simultaneously be awarded the scholarship and maintenance grant.

I'm just picking up the one I've ordered :L
    I was looking at the €85 Dunnes Tux, but given the fantastic news this morning I think I'll splash out €125 in SuitCo. on their sale tux
    #Glamourlife :cool::pac:
    I'd go for whichever, seriously I spent over 400e on my suit for the grad and it's thrown in my wardrobe, I probably won't wear it for years again.. </3

• Advertisement

You can have just one Scholarship as far as I'm aware but you can simultaneously be awarded the scholarship and maintenance grant.
    I was told that being eligible for the maintenance grant was necessary to be eligible for the scholarship.

Advertisement