Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarships 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I was told that being eligible for the maintenance grant was necessary to be eligible for the scholarship.

Well yes you must be eligible but you needn't take it. You'd be silly not to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey guys,

I got 625 in the LC (pretty sure its the highest in KK)
    Ah, I remember wondering before if you were that Dicksboro all right ...
    I'd go for whichever, seriously I spent over 400e on my suit for the grad and it's thrown in my wardrobe, I probably won't wear it for years again.. </3
    You will, you know, for college things, so don't throw it too far ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

didnt get a letter yet...should i give up on it? would have thought with 490 points from my top 5 (510 with maths) in co. galway that i'd definitely be in with a chance? i dont qualify for a maintenance grant but i do have a medical card, but i cant see on the website anything about having to be entitled to the maintenance grant to be entitled to this?

montown wrote: »
    didnt get a letter yet...should i give up on it? would have thought with 490 points from my top 5 (510 with maths) in co. galway that i'd definitely be in with a chance? i dont qualify for a maintenance grant but i do have a medical card, but i cant see on the website anything about having to be entitled to the maintenance grant to be entitled to this?

Were you exempt fro Leaving Cert fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Eathrin wrote: »
    Were you exempt fro Leaving Cert fees?

Yes the medical card covered my LC fees. Maybe the post is just slow getting here? :P *fingers crossed*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting the letter but NOT being offered the scholarship after they returned the form when it's filled out truthfully?

montown wrote: »
    Yes the medical card covered my LC fees. Maybe the post is just slow getting here? :P *fingers crossed*
    You should with 490 points be getting it so it's probably a postal delay.
    GaryB94 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of someone getting the letter but NOT being offered the scholarship after they returned the form when it's filled out truthfully?

I will burn The GPO to the ground if they fail to deliver my form back safely.

Hahaha my thoughts exactly!!
    I've received the letter so I am being 'considered', but after sending back the form how likely do you think I am to get an offer? What I'm trying to get at is would they be as heartless as to send out the consideration letter to someone but then refuse them an offer even if that person was being completely truthful with their personal information?

Hahaha my thoughts exactly!!
    I've received the letter so I am being 'considered', but after sending back the form how likely do you think I am to get an offer? What I'm trying to get at is would they be as heartless as to send out the consideration letter to someone but then refuse them an offer even if that person was being completely truthful with their personal information?

No not at all, if you got the letter and are in receipt of no other scholarships/are not repeating then you have it.
    I think they end out consideration letters rather than awarding the scholarships straight out so as to filter out people who no longer qualify/wish to turn down the grants and award scholarships then to no.101, 102 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Hi I was hopeful of receiving a scholarship but have not received any letter, so i guess that means i will not get it, but does anyone know whether you could be eligible if you appeal a result? I got 545 and am thinking of appealing 1 or 2 subjects to maybe try and attain 550 or 555 ... anyone have any thoughts on this ?

• Advertisement

No not at all, if you got the letter and are in receipt of no other scholarships/are not repeating then you have it.
    I think they end out consideration letters rather than awarding the scholarships straight out so as to filter out people who no longer qualify/wish to turn down the grants and award scholarships then to no.101, 102 etc.
    Well that's what I'm really hoping for! I just wanna know how certain you are?
    Think about this... if no. 101 or 102 or whatever weren't initially considered for the offer, and a few people who were considered ended up not being eligible, how would no. 101 or the rest have found out if they were possibly getting the scholarship? Would they then receive a letter or would they have received the first letter to let them know they could possibly get one, even though they weren't in the initial top 100 of the 26 counties?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    Hi I was hopeful of receiving a scholarship but have not received any letter, so i guess that means i will not get it, but does anyone know whether you could be eligible if you appeal a result? I got 545 and am thinking of appealing 1 or 2 subjects to maybe try and attain 550 or 555 ... anyone have any thoughts on this ?
    What would your 5 best subjects add up to?
    To be honest I think 550/555 is still too low for the scholarship..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Salts

Is the HEAR scheme an exception to the rule about having no other award/scholarship bursary? I have the form sent back already now so I just hope it is.
    But anyway in UCC it's called UCC PLUS and you get the bursary off them really so technically it's awarded by the institution I'm attending isn't it?

To be honest I think 550/555 is still too low for the scholarship..
    I got 520 points and received the letter and I've heard of some people even getting as low as 490 and still getting it... All depends on your top 5 subjects and the competition in your county.
    Is the HEAR scheme an exception to the rule about having no other award/scholarship bursary? I have the form sent back already now so I just hope it is.
    But anyway in UCC it's called UCC PLUS and you get the bursary off them really so technically it's awarded by the institution I'm attending isn't it?
    Yeah you're right about the institution awarding you the bursary but I'm now 100% on the HEAR scheme part.
    Anyone have an answer for my Q above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I got 520 points and received the letter and I've heard of some people even getting as low as 490 and still getting it... All depends on your top 5 subjects and the competition in your county.

Yeah you're right about the institution awarding you the bursary but I'm now 100% on the HEAR scheme part.
    Anyone have an answer for my Q above?

Do you mind me asking what county you are in Gary?

Westmeath, not a huge population so probably not great competition. But I've only heard of people getting the letter with 490 on these forums.

is there any scholarships left for those who appeal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Salts

Would they then receive a letter or would they have received the first letter to let them know they could possibly get one, even though they weren't in the initial top 100 of the 26 counties?

I can't remember what date the form had to be returned by but I'm sure it was pretty soon anyway, and the recipients of the scholarship are notified mid-September so there would be enough time to send out extra letters wouldn't there? If you really want to know, then write to them on Facebook :)https://www.facebook.com/AllIrelandScholarship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    is there any scholarships left for those who appeal ?

I doubt it. Sorry man.

• Advertisement

Westmeath, not a huge population so probably not great competition. But I've only heard of people getting the letter with 490 on these forums.

Really? I'm from Longford and got the same points as you but didn't get the scholarship! :(

Still there was over 1,400 people who sat the L.C. in Westmeath and only 600 in Longford.. bleghhhhhhhh, I wish I went to school in Westmeath now! :(

If you really want to know, then write to them on Facebook
    Did a couple days ago, no response yet.
    Really? I'm from Longford and got the same points as you but didn't get the scholarship!

Still there was over 1,400 people who sat the L.C. in Westmeath and only 600 in Longford.. bleghhhhhhhh, I wish I went to school in Westmeath now!
    Well from the 520 I got, my top 5 adds up to 450. But still, no one's received anything yet, I don't really think I'm guaranteed this scholarship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Really? I'm from Longford and got the same points as you but didn't get the scholarship! :(

Still there was over 1,400 people who sat the L.C. in Westmeath and only 600 in Longford.. bleghhhhhhhh, I wish I went to school in Westmeath now! :(
    LittleMissLost (A boards member who sat the LC last year if you don't know her) got the scholarship last year without having actually received the initial consideration letter. As far as I remember, there was some mix up with the addresses that put her in a different county.

Try and get in contact with the Dept. of Education:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Services/Scholarships/Contact.html

LittleMissLost (A boards member who sat the LC last year if you don't know her) got the scholarship last year without having actually received the initial consideration letter. As far as I remember, there was some mix up with the addresses that put her in a different county.

Try and get in contact with the Dept. of Education:
    http://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Services/Scholarships/Contact.html
    Ah hopefully! If I don't get anything tomorrow (which i'm not expecting tbh) i'll drop them an email!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

bleghhhhhhhh, I wish I went to school in Westmeath now! :(
    Isn't it by home address rather than by school address?

Could be yeah, I live on the boarder of Longford/Westmeath so i'd say any chance of me getting one is gone unfortunately!

I wrote to the All Ireland Scholarships crowd on facebook and here's what they said:
    "Yes, if you have received a letter of consideration and you are truthful with the form that you send back, you will receive an offer for the scholarship."
    Absolutely delighted!!
    They also replied to a someone else's post on their page, they said 85 letters of consideration have been sent out so far, and once the re-counts have been completed the final letters of consideration will be sent out.

I wrote to the All Ireland Scholarships crowd on facebook and here's what they said:
    "Yes, if you have received a letter of consideration and you are truthful with the form that you send back, you will receive an offer for the scholarship."
    Absolutely delighted!!
    They also replied to a someone else's post on their page, they said 85 letters of consideration have been sent out so far, and once the re-counts have been completed the final letters of consideration will be sent out.

So is it possible not all county's winners have been notified yet? What does it mean by re-counts by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

So is it possible not all county's winners have been notified yet? What does it mean by re-counts by the way?

LC paper rechecks i guess

• Advertisement

LC paper rechecks i guess
    Oh hopefully, i'm almost positive my score could go up 15 points in a subject. *fingers crossed*

Advertisement