Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarships 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

Their facebook page says there's been a technical error and registration will be available online on monday. Payments are usually given mid to late October as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

GaryB94 wrote: »
    Their facebook page says there's been a technical error and registration will be available online on monday. Payments are usually given mid to late October as far as I know.

Ya, just noticed that about five minutes after posting. All we need now is SUSI to get their act together and it should all work out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The log-in is available now.
    It seems as if they want the biography in the 3rd person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Eathrin wrote: »
    The log-in is available now.
    It seems as if they want the biography in the 3rd person?
    Last year at the ceremony there were a few people who wrote it in first person. Most were in third person though.

Last year at the ceremony there were a few people who wrote it in first person. Most were in third person though.

Is it not just for this souvenir programme?
    I don't mind that so much, and the guidelines kind of ensure that they will be much the same anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 chibihito

I have a question about the online registration, when you upload the picture, does it not come up for everyone or just me?

chibihito wrote: »
    I have a question about the online registration, when you upload the picture, does it not come up for everyone or just me?

I reloaded the page and it came up the second time I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Hey if anyone has any questions about the scholarship let me know, I got it in 09.

Also just to clear up a misconception in this thread, you are awarded the scholarship partly because of your results, partly because of financial difficulties but also because you live in what is classed as a (somewhat) 'disadvantaged area'.

I knew people who got higher leaving certificate points than me the year I sat it, had a medical card but lived in better off (so to speak) part of Limerick.

So basically it's not just about the points, high points won't guarantee you a scholarship but neither will lower points necessarily exclude you from the running :)

It is for those most in need who have shown themselves to be capable and may not have the opportunity to go to college without such a scholarship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

For the scholarship, do they take your school address or your home address to decide what county you'll be in for the scholarship ? Say I go to school in Dublin, but I'm right on the border of Kildare/Dublin and I take my address to be in Co.Kildare, would I be in contention for the scholarship out of the county Kildare?

.. Hope you can understand what i mean. :|

ray2012 wrote: »
    For the scholarship, do they take your school address or your home address to decide what county you'll be in for the scholarship ? Say I go to school in Dublin, but I'm right on the border of Kildare/Dublin and I take my address to be in Co.Kildare, would I be in contention for the scholarship out of the county Kildare?

.. Hope you can understand what i mean. :|

I would say they'd take your home address, so you'd be one of the scholarship recipients of Kildare.

• Advertisement

My school is actually addressed to a very posh part of Dublin, despite being a public school and not in that area.
    I'd say your home address has more weight.
    Then again, my home is addressed to a very posh part of Dublin, despite not being in that area.
    :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Addresses are all well and good, but the medical card and thus exemption from the LC fee is the first criterion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    Hey if anyone has any questions about the scholarship let me know, I got it in 09.

Also just to clear up a misconception in this thread, you are awarded the scholarship partly because of your results, partly because of financial difficulties but also because you live in what is classed as a (somewhat) 'disadvantaged area'.

I knew people who got higher leaving certificate points than me the year I sat it, had a medical card but lived in better off (so to speak) part of Limerick.

So basically it's not just about the points, high points won't guarantee you a scholarship but neither will lower points necessarily exclude you from the running :)

It is for those most in need who have shown themselves to be capable and may not have the opportunity to go to college without such a scholarship.

I thought I would definitely guarantee for this scholarship then, due to me living in one of the only noted 'disadvantaged' areas in my county. :(

I thought I would definitely guarantee for this scholarship then, due to me living in one of the only noted 'disadvantaged' areas in my county. :(

Sorry you didn't get it :( I had accepted the fact that I wasn't going to college until one day I got the letter in the post, never even heard of the scholarship.

There may have been other people in your area that qualified for it, it's unfortunate that there are so few spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pizza107

Well done o everyone for getting the scholarship! I never geard of it til a dew last week when i got the consideration letter ... Anyone else only getting it now? Got 490 out of best 5 subjects and from dublin
    Ecstatic to say the least! It said to return it by the 16th so i registered it :P better be no problems in the post office!
    Whens the first months pay if you get accepted?

Pizza107 wrote: »
    Well done o everyone for getting the scholarship! I never geard of it til a dew last week when i got the consideration letter ... Anyone else only getting it now? Got 490 out of best 5 subjects and from dublin
    Ecstatic to say the least! It said to return it by the 16th so i registered it :P better be no problems in the post office!
    Whens the first months pay if you get accepted?

Did you get any papers rechecked? I already had received the letter of consideration from the initial batch with just 480 points(5).
    2 payments of €750 have already been made to most recipients.
    And congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

Does anyone know what the story is for people deferring?

The regular payments have stopped for some reason for me.
    Anybody else have this happen/know anything about this?

I'll call in the next few days to see what the story is if there's no change.

They stopped for me too, I rang and they said they'll be in early next week. It's because of the christmas break and stuff.

GaryB94 wrote: »
    They stopped for me too, I rang and they said they'll be in early next week. It's because of the christmas break and stuff.

Thanks, I thought as much,
    I was a small bit worried something had happened to my eligibility though:D

• Advertisement

Nahhh, not a chance of that happening :D It's just a minor delay in us drinking another month's payment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Connor793

Hi maybe this isnt the best place to ask but i was wondering if anyone would have an idea of what grades you would need in a-levels to be considered? Im from co.down in ulster :) cheers

Hey, does anyone know when (or if) they confirm whether your scholarship has been renewed, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

Hey, does anyone know when (or if) they confirm whether your scholarship has been renewed, just wondering.
    no dont think they confirm but you could ring to make sure they got it, which is what ill do as im in Scotland at the minute

Grand, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

how do i apply??

For the scholarship itself? Unless you're from the North, you don't. Otherwise, your LC results will be sent and if they are good enough you'll get a letter in the post come August or September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

so its automatically?

Well I wouldn't say automatically, but if you get a letter sent to you you have to fill out forms first, just to make sure you didn't repeat the LC and stuff like that.

• Advertisement

yournerd wrote: »
    how do i apply??

Most importantly if you don't have a medical card or weren't exempt from the leaving cert fees, you won't be eligible, if you get over 550 (depending on your county) you have a chance. They'll send you a letter the week after results if you're being considered.

Advertisement