Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Scholarships 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Most importantly if you don't have a medical card or weren't exempt from the leaving cert fees, you won't be eligible, if you get over 550 (depending on your county) you have a chance. They'll send you a letter the week after results if you're being considered.

I didn't pay and I have a medical card :)
    I'm in Carlow so I don't know about 550 hahahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

yournerd wrote: »
    I didn't pay and I have a medical card :)
    I'm in Carlow so I don't know about 550 hahahaha.

Well, min two per county, so prob two or three in Carlow, you'd need 550

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had a student in our school get it with a fair bit less than 550, though the person involved had very difficult circumstances. I think they look at more than the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

Well now not necessarily 550... got it myself with a score and a half less!
    And I may add I'm not from an overly populated county...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

There's not really a 'score' necessary to achieve it, it's all luck.

I know a person from a county twice as populated as my own who got it with 15 points less than I received, and i'm from the 2nd lowest populated county in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

You misinterpreted the meaning of the word 'score' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

GaryB94 wrote: »
    You misinterpreted the meaning of the word 'score' ;)

raging i didn't bang them if it would have gotten me that scholarship

After my mam losing her business this would be a dream come true cause atm im looking at commuting every day!

Depends on the county, I'm Galway and there was about nine or ten I think, so that's how some lower points get in I think. Then again they might look at more than the points, it could be anything. Like the use of score by the way gary

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Just got my results today, my 5 best are A1, A2x2 and B1x2. Are my chances of getting it in cork any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

This scholarship would do wonders for me, gonna be really struggling! I know it's hard to call after reading about the people waiting around for their letters last year, but would anyone be able to even give me an inclination as to how much of a chance I stand?

I got 580 with my top six subjects being 2 A1's, 3 A2's and a B1. From Co. Wexford.

Do I stand a chance? I'd rather have my hopes quashed now than to spend the next week or two sitting by the letterbox with everything crossed. :P

Monsieur Folie, I'd say you have a pretty good chance in Wexford, if you really want to know you could check the all ireland scholarship website to check the former winners in Wexford and possibly find them on facebook or something and ask them what they got in terms of points.

Diograis, last year I think something like 20 people got the scholarship in cork so I'd say you've a decent chance, also you could go the contacting the former winners route too if you really want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This scholarship would do wonders for me, gonna be really struggling! I know it's hard to call after reading about the people waiting around for their letters last year, but would anyone be able to even give me an inclination as to how much of a chance I stand?

I got 580 with my top six subjects being 2 A1's, 3 A2's and a B1. From Co. Wexford.

Do I stand a chance? I'd rather have my hopes quashed now than to spend the next week or two sitting by the letterbox with everything crossed. :P
    Depends on the county and the year, tbh.

I certainly wouldn't be dismissing your chances out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Depends on the county and the year, tbh.

I certainly wouldn't be dismissing your chances out of hand.

It's not just the county and the points you get it's also the area that you live in. If they think you show great potential but that you live in an area where people may not always reach their potential then you have a better chance than someone who got the same in the LC but who live in a better area.

Anyone from carlow???

Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds like there may be hope yet. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Hey that was my sister that posted that earlier, she's dying to get it! I got it last year in cork, one A1 four A2s. But there was twenty from Cork that got it for some reason, I was so lucky I got it on appeals and I didn't even appeal anything! Best of luck :D

When should the people get letters?

yournerd wrote: »
    When should the people get letters?

Sometime in the next few weeks, I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I assume they factor in the 25 points for HL maths :(

I got 3 A1s and 2 A2s without the maths, but might try to appeal Chem for the A1 as this would be a huge help!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

What happens with appeals?? Does it wait for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

JackD9922 wrote: »
    What happens with appeals?? Does it wait for them?
    Yes theres I think 25 but maybe less scholarships kept until October which are for people who got rechecks :)

I got a letter of consideration this morning, that was fast. Do I definitely get one now?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I got a letter of consideration this morning, that was fast. Do I definitely get one now?! :D
    You do, congrats!

What did u gt in the LC??

You do, congrats!

Wow, seriously? This is amazing! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

Just out of curiosity, did it come by registered post or normal post? Cause if registered... I totally have one of those babies awaitin' me, that I slept through.... (Fingers crossed)

comeclosa wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, did it come by registered post or normal post? Cause if registered... I totally have one of those babies awaitin' me, that I slept through.... (Fingers crossed)

Yes, registered post!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

(grinding teeth into dust) Congrats mate!
    No seriously, well done on getting it :D

Out of curiosity what grades did you achieve?
    I feel slightly in limbo here with 2A1's and 3A2's

• Advertisement

JackD9922 wrote: »
    (grinding teeth into dust) Congrats mate!
    No seriously, well done on getting it :D

Out of curiosity what grades did you achieve?
    I feel slightly in limbo here with 2A1's and 3A2's

Same as myself so, my top 5 subjects were 2 A1's and 3 A2's.. :)

Advertisement