Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips to get an A1 in business

• 21-08-2012 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

amyone have any advice here on how to approach the course?
    Any techniques? in particular for the abq.

Any help thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I had a brilliant teacher (and I did get an A1 in the subject last Wednesday), so I'll see if I can dig up some of her tips.

• Firstly and most importantly, name, explain and GIVE EXAMPLE. Always give an example where possible.
    • Use examples that are as modern as possible. Examiners are impressed if they can see that you're up-to-date and you actually know what's going on in the world of business. i.e. Know what the current interest rate is and if any increases have been made. Be able to give examples of new taxes that have been brought in by the government or any new initiatives. Being able to write a couple of sentences about the recession and the global financial crisis will get you a long way in certain questions. You don't have to go crazy, just make sure you have a few that are likely to come up. (Oh, and we always used the same two examples for transnationals in Ireland, Abbott and Intel. It's unbelievable the amount of times that that came up.
    • For the ABQ, name, explain and refer to the ABQ. Give exact quotes where possible, (generally in part A and B) and otherwise just say something that "Joe Bloggs Ltd" should do. Quotes have become easier and easier to find in recent years. Don't use the same quote twice. Use a different colour for your reference/quote.
    • Lay it out neatly. NO PARAGRAPHS. Bullet points only. Do the headings in a different colour to your development of the point. (By the way, these layout tips have been mentioned in Chief Examiner reports, so don't think that they're unimportant.)
    • When it says "evaluate", make sure you have a seperate heading saying "Evaluation", where you give the importance of, or the advantages and disadvantages of a franchise, expansion, etc.
    • A general rule of thumb is that it's one point for every 5 marks. You should have at the very least two good sentences for every point. (Not including your example where applicable.) If you're aiming for an A1, you should aim to develop your points as much as possible, while managing your time effectively.
    • With regards time management (vital in a business exam, where every minute counts) our teacher had a schedule that worked for me. First, attempt all short questions. Then do your two favourite long questions before you delve into the ABQ. Lastly do your final two long questions. Leaving your ABQ to the end makes it likely that you'll be skimping on time for it, and it's worth the most marks (bar the short questions I think.) Give your ABQ the time it needs.
    • Remember that some points come up again and again. For example in the human resources chapter, you'll use similar points for the importance of teamwork as you will for training. (By the way, Human Resources is an important chapter as it comes up a lot.) So be intelligent when answering questions. If you can recycle points from other questions, well it's less to learn. (By the way, rarely will you have to learn more than 5 points per question.)
    • If you're going to study a section in particular, study the section that comes up in your APQ as you will have to answer a question on that section in the ABQ plus you will be able to answer the long questions associated with that section as well.
    • A good question to aim to do is question one. "People in Business" is a ridiculously easy chapter and "Non-legislative Methods of Resolving Conflict" is relatively straightforward as well. The laws and institutions in Legislative Methods are difficult enough, but one those is guaranteed to come up so it's worth studying and knowing well. (Just make sure you have 5 points on each law or institution and you'll be fine.) It's not a common question that people do, so it'll be marked relatively easily.
    • In terms of study, your main focus should be exam questions. The end-of-chapter questions are almost useless in comparison. If you're doing exam questions regularly (while making an effort not to look at the book) you should need to do little to no study in the subject. If you don't want to do them out, just bullet point them so you ensure you know what you would write.
    • Something our teacher did that was really helpful, (though it seemed a little irritating at the time) was when a term came up that we'd done before, she'd make us write out the definition or list the relevant points in our book beside it. Terms like entrepeneur, transnational company and the benefits of teamwork were drilled into our heads so effectively as a result, that it was impossible to forget them. Your teacher may not do this, but you could do this yourself at home and/or at school.
    Sorry if this is a little long, but it's comprehensive, made up of bullet points and lines are skipped in between points, just like any answer a good business student does. :D
    I really hope that this has been of help to you. Tell me if any point is unclear (I am writing it at 2:30 a.m.) or if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rokeefe

amymak wrote: »
    I had a brilliant teacher (and I did get an A1 in the subject last Wednesday), so I'll see if I can dig up some of her tips.

• Firstly and most importantly, name, explain and GIVE EXAMPLE. Always give an example where possible.
    • Use examples that are as modern as possible. Examiners are impressed if they can see that you're up-to-date and you actually know what's going on in the world of business. i.e. Know what the current interest rate is and if any increases have been made. Be able to give examples of new taxes that have been brought in by the government or any new initiatives. Being able to write a couple of sentences about the recession and the global financial crisis will get you a long way in certain questions. You don't have to go crazy, just make sure you have a few that are likely to come up. (Oh, and we always used the same two examples for transnationals in Ireland, Abbott and Intel. It's unbelievable the amount of times that that came up.
    • For the ABQ, name, explain and refer to the ABQ. Give exact quotes where possible, (generally in part A and B) and otherwise just say something that "Joe Bloggs Ltd" should do. Quotes have become easier and easier to find in recent years. Don't use the same quote twice. Use a different colour for your reference/quote.
    • Lay it out neatly. NO PARAGRAPHS. Bullet points only. Do the headings in a different colour to your development of the point. (By the way, these layout tips have been mentioned in Chief Examiner reports, so don't think that they're unimportant.)
    • When it says "evaluate", make sure you have a seperate heading saying "Evaluation", where you give the importance of, or the advantages and disadvantages of a franchise, expansion, etc.
    • A general rule of thumb is that it's one point for every 5 marks. You should have at the very least two good sentences for every point. (Not including your example where applicable.) If you're aiming for an A1, you should aim to develop your points as much as possible, while managing your time effectively.
    • With regards time management (vital in a business exam, where every minute counts) our teacher had a schedule that worked for me. First, attempt all short questions. Then do your two favourite long questions before you delve into the ABQ. Lastly do your final two long questions. Leaving your ABQ to the end makes it likely that you'll be skimping on time for it, and it's worth the most marks (bar the short questions I think.) Give your ABQ the time it needs.
    • Remember that some points come up again and again. For example in the human resources chapter, you'll use similar points for the importance of teamwork as you will for training. (By the way, Human Resources is an important chapter as it comes up a lot.) So be intelligent when answering questions. If you can recycle points from other questions, well it's less to learn. (By the way, rarely will you have to learn more than 5 points per question.)
    • If you're going to study a section in particular, study the section that comes up in your APQ as you will have to answer a question on that section in the ABQ plus you will be able to answer the long questions associated with that section as well.
    • A good question to aim to do is question one. "People in Business" is a ridiculously easy chapter and "Non-legislative Methods of Resolving Conflict" is relatively straightforward as well. The laws and institutions in Legislative Methods are difficult enough, but one those is guaranteed to come up so it's worth studying and knowing well. (Just make sure you have 5 points on each law or institution and you'll be fine.) It's not a common question that people do, so it'll be marked relatively easily.
    • In terms of study, your main focus should be exam questions. The end-of-chapter questions are almost useless in comparison. If you're doing exam questions regularly (while making an effort not to look at the book) you should need to do little to no study in the subject. If you don't want to do them out, just bullet point them so you ensure you know what you would write.
    • Something our teacher did that was really helpful, (though it seemed a little irritating at the time) was when a term came up that we'd done before, she'd make us write out the definition or list the relevant points in our book beside it. Terms like entrepeneur, transnational company and the benefits of teamwork were drilled into our heads so effectively as a result, that it was impossible to forget them. Your teacher may not do this, but you could do this yourself at home and/or at school.
    Sorry if this is a little long, but it's comprehensive, made up of bullet points and lines are skipped in between points, just like any answer a good business student does. :D
    I really hope that this has been of help to you. Tell me if any point is unclear (I am writing it at 2:30 a.m.) or if you have any questions.
    I also got an A1 last Wednesday. I'd agree with all of this except the part where Amy says don't use the same quote twice in the Abq. U are allowed use the same quote in the Abq for different parts I.e in a and in c but U can't use the same quote in part a for example. This might help u in a bad situatiOn if ur stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Rokeefe wrote: »
    I also got an A1 last Wednesday. I'd agree with all of this except the part where Amy says don't use the same quote twice in the Abq. U are allowed use the same quote in the Abq for different parts I.e in a and in c but U can't use the same quote in part a for example. This might help u in a bad situatiOn if ur stuck

thanks ill be putting these tips into practise!

I'm just wondering what book you used? I use the business but dont think its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Sunny!! wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what book you used? I use the business but dont think its great.

We used Global Business. However it's quite an old book, and it's very out-of-date. To be honest, our teacher didn't seem to think much of it. (Unrelated, but fun fact, she's Shane Filan's sister. You know, the guy from Westlife.) Most of the time we were writing out definitions that she was giving us and adding extra points to what what was in the book.

• Advertisement

We used Global Business. However it's quite an old book, and it's very out-of-date. To be honest, our teacher didn't seem to think much of it. (Unrelated, but fun fact, she's Shane Filan's sister. You know, the guy from Westlife.) Most of the time we were writing out definitions that she was giving us and adding extra points to what what was in the book.

ok thats good i think theres a new version of global business out so i might give a look at it. Thanks:)

Advertisement