Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working towards a move to the USA - HELP

Options
  • 21-08-2012 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi folks,

A brief rundown of my situation - I have been seeing an American Girl for a while now. We were living internationally but she has just moved home to begin grad school. That will keep her in LA until roughly next June. I am still living internationally and we are searching for ways to continue our relationship.

I am fairly sure that I don't qualify for any visa other than a 90 day tourist visa, as I graduated in 2008.

I saw someone on here mention something about a 6 month tourist visa? Does anyone have any information about that?

Looking to the future - What are they best ways of positioning myself to give myself the best possible chance of moving to the states over the next 2-3 years? Marriage is something that we definitely aren't ready for yet.

I hope to begin my masters degree in the next year or 2 - would this have a big bearing? What areas/skill sets are best suited/most sought after in relation to obtaining a work visa for the US?

Would I be better placed to aim for an International Company in Ireland and hopefully transfer?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, there is the B2 tourist visa, which usually allows a 6 months stay (can't work of course). It can be difficult for a person from a visa waiver country to get this visa, as they will wonder what you want to do as a tourist in 6 months that you cannot do in 90 days,and how you will support yourself, but one of the "reasons: listed to get one is a co-habiting partner. Keep in mind if you are turned down you may have difficulty using the visa waiver too.

Long term- is marriage on the cards with the girlfriend? If so, get married. This will get you a CR-1 spousal visa in 8010 months, which gets you an automatic greencard (can work, travel) upon entry to the USA. You can still visit on the visa waiver while it is being processed. If marriage is not something you want to do, and you an afford it, doing your Masters in the USA may be an option.

Advertisement