Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticking Gears 02 Corolla

Options
  • 21-08-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey,

I'm driving an '02 toyota corolla terra hatchback. When changing the gears lately the stick won't get in gear when moving to 2nd or 3rd. This gets quite frustrating on the likes of roundabouts!! If I pump the clutch it improves the issue somewhat.

Any ideas of what the issue could be?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

rubysgirl wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm driving an '02 toyota corolla terra hatchback. When changing the gears lately the stick won't get in gear when moving to 2nd or 3rd. This gets quite frustrating on the likes of roundabouts!! If I pump the clutch it improves the issue somewhat.

Any ideas of what the issue could be?

Highlighted the likely culprit.

p.s. Is there oil in the gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rubysgirl

Would the clutch need replacing? I get the feeling this is gonna be costly...

How do I check the gearbox oil? It was serviced in June. Would they not check that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would the clutch need replacing? I get the feeling this is gonna be costly...

How do I check the gearbox oil? It was serviced in June. Would they not check that?
    Depends on the type of service.
    Oil and filter change is a service but they would be very unlikely to check gearbox oil levels unless you asked them to.
    I have always found that fresh gearbox oil makes a big difference to shifting, might be worth getting it replaced, its not a big job or expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jmck

That happened with my opel corsa. The clutch was very loose and low to the floor (if that makes sense?) I had to literally put the pedal to the floor to change gears! I got it tightened and it helped for a good while anyway. So maybe see if it needs tightening first before replacing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If it was the clutch disc you'd notice it going up hills because the engine would get a lot louder but you wouldn't be going any quicker.

It could be the box itself, although you will usually hear a whining or grating noise, and it will disappear every time you hit the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor. Next time when the car is idling, check does it get quieter when the clutch is fully depressed?

Failing that, given the age of the car, it would be no harm to get the gearbox oil changed. Either way, the car should be looked at sooner rather than later, otherwise it could get extremely costly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rubysgirl

Ya, I've been putting it off for a week or two now, but it just crossed my mind what it's doing to the gearbox if I'm yanking the gears out and shoving them back in when they don't want to!

Thanks guys!

Next question... Where do I check the gearbox oil in a corolla!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ya, I've been putting it off for a week or two now, but it just crossed my mind what it's doing to the gearbox if I'm yanking the gears out and shoving them back in when they don't want to!

Thanks guys!

It needs to go to a competent mechanic. It could be nothing, but I always think prevention is better than the cure:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This is how you change it.
    http://www.nrgizerbunny.com/toyota-corolla-technical/gearbox-oil-change/

Advertisement