Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noob building gaming pc

Options
  • 21-08-2012 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hello im new to this forum and would like to know how to make a gaming desktop pc with a limited budget of around 600 euro. i would like to know were to get the parts could i get them all in the one place what cpu and gpu would be the best all compatible hardware (obviously) how long it would take to get everything you need and what can i expect on this budget i know a high end gaming pc would cost plus a 1000 euros would the graphics be the same as a ps3 or xbox 360 im really wanting to play skyrim and i hope i could get a gpu capable of running it with the graphics similar to the ps3 and xbox 360..........im starting a computer maintenance course in september and would really like to builed my own pc all tips and information would sincerely be appreciated and most helpfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Hi Michael, if you copy the questions in the linked thread to here and answer them in this thread it will give people a better idea on what you need.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

• Registered Users Posts: 36 michael88

ok il do that now

1. What is your budget? around 600 i could go up to 650 if needed

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? gaming watching films and listening to music browsing the web.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no a complete new machine

5. Do you need a monitor? yes but i hav a 19" flat screen hd tv would that work if i us a hd lead??

5a. If yes, what size do you need. around 20"

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? yes i need all of them

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no il play it safe

8. How can you pay? laser card

9. When are you purchasing? hopefully by the end of next month

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? north county dublin but il ok doing it

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Does your TV have HDMI or DVI? What resolution is it HD can be a few different ones. I suspect it's just HD ready at 19" which wouldn't be great for using it on a PC I'm afraid. :(

Also what games are we talking about here? BF2, GW2, minesweeper?

ye its only hd ready i want to play skyrim mainly but il be getting other games too

• Advertisement

Just as an example of why I ask - Skyrim is a CPU intensive game. If you'd said BF3 is my main game then I would have built with a Pentium G and a 660ti SKyrim changes the build to inlude a i3. Let me know if there's any other games on your wish list.

Item|Price
    BenQ G2255|€99.00
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.52
    Toshiba DT01ACA Series 500GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€58.29
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.49
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€43.40
    XFX DD RADEON 7770 1000M 1GB D5 mDP HDMI DVI|€113.89
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€72.44
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€111.88
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€585.90

Windows 8 RC could be used until October which might give you some time to save up again for an OS. Another option which I won't go in to detail on beyond pointing you in its direction is software4students.ie

A keyboard and mouse can be sourced locally and I'm sure you have a pair of head phones you can plug into it.

If you can push the budget a 7850 GPU would be a very welcome addition.

this is great tank you very much and if i was to get the better graphics card and say in time another disk drive would i need a better power supply unit like a 500 watt??

michael88 wrote: »
    this is great tank you very much and if i was to get the better graphics card and say in time another disk drive would i need a better power supply unit like a 500 watt??

I doubt it - there is a guide on the forum ref PSUs. If you get a decent one like the Amazon you're generally okay. If you're adding another storage device it's likely to be an SSD that use about 3W max of power.

Unless you go mad and get a 7950 and clock it to death 450 should be fine. If in doubt grab a 550W now which will be massive for any single GPU configuration. (e.g. one rather than two or three graphics cards)

il stick with that one then and what about cooling would i need extra fans or would the one's on the cpu and gpu be good enough??

il stick with that one then and what about cooling would i need extra fans or would the one's on the cpu and gpu be good enough??

If you're not over-clocking what comes with the stuff you've listed will be grand.

• Advertisement

and a network card would cost what about 20 euro

and a network card would cost what about 20 euro

Wireless? Should be a wired NIC on the motherboard.

Advertisement