Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive test yesterday, brown discharge today

Options
  • 21-08-2012 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I got a positive test result yesterday on one of those digital tests. The result was pregnant 1-2 since conception. As far as I can make out from my erratic cycle I ovulated around 16 days ago so I know its very early days. Anyway, after an evening of shock and delight(honeymoon baby, first proper cycle trying) I woke up this morning and had a small amount of slimy, brown discharge. I've been crampy(feeling like period is on the way), am emotional too. I'm obviously very worried but can't get an appointment with my regular gp until tomorrow. I have an underactive thyroid gland, mild pcos and have had history of high prolactin so I never thought pregnancy would happen so easily for me. Not looking for medical advise as I will see my gp tomorrow just wondering if anyone has had experience of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi April2013, I'm sure you are so anxious at the moment. I understand as I'm only a few days over due myself and still can't get my head around the positive test! Also so hard not being able to talk to many people about it...
    Anyway you might have just had an implantation bleed... sounds about right to me. I had one with my first and I thought it was actually my period coming on. I did not have one this time though which has me a bit freaked out... there's always something to worry about! It doesn't make a difference whether you have one or not, each pregnancy is different seemingly. Anyway fingers crossed that's what it is. Keep us up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 April2013

Thanks Chuchu. Congratulations to you too. Hopefully you are right and thats all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

April2013 wrote: »
    Thanks Chuchu. Congratulations to you too. Hopefully you are right and thats all it is.

Also because it's brown blood - it means it's old - red blood is fresh blood, so hopefully it is just the bit from the implantation bleed coming out now! I would say not to worry - one of my friends had spotting on and off throughout all of her 3 pregnancies and all was well!
    The one thing I'll say is the g.p won't be able tell u alot tom so be prepared for that! It's 6 weeks plus before a heartbeat is detectable, and sometimes the g.p's tests don't even say positive at 4-5 weeks as they are not very sensitive so the clearblue ones are much better! So dont think anything of it if you go tom and its negative test - unfort at this stage it's a waiting game :(
    All of your symptoms are indicative of early pregnancy too - its hard to tell the diff between it and period coming! The one difference was for me was that my bokbs killed but that wasn't til about 5-6 weeks. And I had bad cramping also! All normal!

Try relax and for the moment just stay positive - there's nothing to be gained from worrying and the stress won't do you or your little baba any good!

It could be a week or 2 before you know more. The only thing you could do is request the g.p do a hcg blood test tom and repeat in 2 days time - it should double if sustainable pregnancy! But they don't do it as routine - but maybe if your doc is nice and as you have had a bleed it could help?

Congrats and will have everything crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

Hi April,
    Same thing happened to me on my first pregnancy. I also have pcos. I wasn't sent for a scan because GP said it was too early. As I had a history of erratic cycles, I was told it was old blood that hadn't cleared properly. It lasted on and off for a few weeks. I was signed off work and told to rest. GP said to contact maternity unit if it became like a period at any stage.

I really feel for you. It's a very stressful time. I hope things work out. Best of luck and congrats on your bfp!!

dublinlady wrote: »
    Also because it's brown blood - it means it's old - red blood is fresh blood, so hopefully it is just the bit from the implantation bleed coming out now! I would say not to worry - one of my friends had spotting on and off throughout all of her 3 pregnancies and all was well!
    The one thing I'll say is the g.p won't be able tell u alot tom so be prepared for that! It's 6 weeks plus before a heartbeat is detectable, and sometimes the g.p's tests don't even say positive at 4-5 weeks as they are not very sensitive so the clearblue ones are much better! So dont think anything of it if you go tom and its negative test - unfort at this stage it's a waiting game :(
    All of your symptoms are indicative of early pregnancy too - its hard to tell the diff between it and period coming! The one difference was for me was that my bokbs killed but that wasn't til about 5-6 weeks. And I had bad cramping also! All normal!

Try relax and for the moment just stay positive - there's nothing to be gained from worrying and the stress won't do you or your little baba any good!

It could be a week or 2 before you know more. The only thing you could do is request the g.p do a hcg blood test tom and repeat in 2 days time - it should double if sustainable pregnancy! But they don't do it as routine - but maybe if your doc is nice and as you have had a bleed it could help?

Congrats and will have everything crossed for you!

Thanks dublinlady. I suppose all I can do is hope for the best at this stage. Will ask about the bloodtest tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Lac21 wrote: »
    Hi April,
    Same thing happened to me on my first pregnancy. I also have pcos. I wasn't sent for a scan because GP said it was too early. As I had a history of erratic cycles, I was told it was old blood that hadn't cleared properly. It lasted on and off for a few weeks. I was signed off work and told to rest. GP said to contact maternity unit if it became like a period at any stage.

I really feel for you. It's a very stressful time. I hope things work out. Best of luck and congrats on your bfp!!

Wish I had the thanks button now Lac21. Thanks for the reply. Its reassuring to hear from someone who has experienced the same thing. Will just hope for the best. Was so happy when I saw the positive result yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

April, also meant to add that spotting in early pregnancy can sometimes indicate low progesterone levels. V common with pcos. You could ask doctor for blood test to check. If they are a bit lower than normal, you could be prescribed a progesterone gel like crinone. They are pessaries and work really well.
    Again best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Lac. That's really helpful. Hopefully the dr will do some blood tests tomorrow.

Well, just back from the doctor. She did a load of blood tests including the hcg one which I am getting repeated on Friday. Not much more spotting yesterday so hopefully I will know more Monday when I get the results of the hcg. Fingers crossed for the results to double. Thanks for the responses yesterday. I really appreciate them.

Advertisement