Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill

• 21-08-2012 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Stayed in one of the campsites in Salthill over the weekend.
    Pitch with EHU costing €29 for 2 adults in a campervan.
    I thought that was bad enough until I noticed the coin operated showers and then the coin operated "hot" water at the wash-up sinks.

Overall, the site was clean but it was nothing special or out of the ordinary to justify those rates. No rubbish bins other than the "skip" at the gate and the touring pitches are very close to each other. Drainage on and around the pitches left a lot to be desired.

The tourer section was about 75% full and there seemed to be almost full occupancy on the mobile home section, so it is definitely bringing in the loot.

Dont think I will be going back but then I suppose that most sites in Ireland operate a similar pricing structure so it was probably par for the course.

Cant help but feeling that I was ripped off though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

unfit2006 wrote: »
    I thought that was bad enough until I noticed the coin operated showers and then the coin operated "hot" water at the wash-up sinks.

Overall, the site was clean but it was nothing special or out of the ordinary to justify those rates. No rubbish bins other than the "skip" at the gate and the touring pitches are very close to each other. Drainage on and around the pitches left a lot to be desired.

The tourer section was about 75% full and there seemed to be almost full occupancy on the mobile home section, so it is definitely bringing in the loot.

Dont think I will be going back but then I suppose that most sites in Ireland operate a similar pricing structure so it was probably par for the course.

Using municipal sites in France, which are in the region of €15 per night high season the saving of €200 for two weeks would go a good way to covering the cost of a Celtic Link ticket. Plus diesel is cheaper as is the wine, beer, etc :D and there is a better chance of sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I can understand people paying that sort of money for times when events such as the finish of the Volvo Race but for an ordinary weekend? crazy rip off:eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have been there too and feel it is a bit much to have to pay for wash up water and showers. Plus the manner of the person running the site leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Ah my favorite subject irish campsites,i had the pleasure of meeting the staff at this site a while back they wanted €150 for the 3 nights of the Volvo weekend when a said i only want 1or2 nights they said it was 3 nights minimum i then asked if i could see the pitch i was informed that the place was full and he was unsure as to where he was going to put me,his tone was as if he was doing me a favor irish customer service at its best,needless to say i declined his offer and moved on
    But the place was jammed as was the site i stayed in last weekend so as long as demand is their i cant see much changing

• Registered Users Posts: 37 baz.snn

We stayed in a site in Salthill a couple of years ago. I didn't like it at all. It was the 2nd site on the left as you you head out. Can't remember the name of it. Everything seemed to be crammed up on top of each other, which to me seems like a fire safety issue. There should be a bit more of a gap between each pitch. There was also a stink around the site too which was pretty bad, but that may have been due to low tide, I'm not really sure.
    I don't recall the price we paid for the 2 nights but I know I wouldn't be going back there again. I love Galway, I lived there for 8 years,but we haven't been back with our caravan since 2009. Dissapointing really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

baz.snn wrote: »
    I wouldn't be going back there again. I love Galway, I lived there for 8 years,but we haven't been back with our caravan since 2009. Dissapointing really

There are sites at spiddal and barna no reason not to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Guy's there is a very easy way to solve this, see are they on trip advisor or similar site, give them an honest review spelling out why you won't be back, two things will happen, they will get an email and every body else will see it. It will raise the bar a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

moodrater wrote: »
    There are sites at spiddal and barna no reason not to go back.

Would like to know more about those sites. Could you give us the names they go under please.

Love Galway but havent gone there for a few years, since my last visit to that place in Salthill where we were ripped off and treated like s***e by the campsite owner.

I for one, will never drive through that gate ever again, while the current owner is there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Kol, Killalaner, Baz.snn...

definitely the same site then.

Both your description of the people in charge and the "whiff" around the site
    sums it up perfectly.

I always use Municipal sites in France ranging in price from €8-€14. That includes EHU, free showers, as much hot water as you want, large emplacements and almost always a friendly welcome from Mdme or Mnsr on arrival.

I visited that particular site in Salthill in order to meet up with some friends from the UK who had traveledl to Ireland for a few weeks to visit family and also to spend a week in Galway. I was embarrassed, to say the least when I arrived down to Salthill on Saturday to see where they were staying and to see what they were paying.

One of the party has worked in the Caravan Clubs headquarters in East Grinstead for many years and has quite a lot of experience on both CC sites in the UK as well as sites on the continent. She was slow to criticise, but I could see that she was surprised (shocked) at what was on offer and what was charged.

The caravan site sector is really shooting itself in the foot from what I have seen. I hope it stays fine for them.

Found them on Tripadvisor and left a review. Should appear tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Ildere wrote: »
    Would like to know more about those sites. Could you give us the names they go under please.

http://www.spiddalmobilehomes.ie/caravanandcamping.html

Just looked on streetview and the barna one is a public park now! The one in ballyloughnane seems to be gone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We've stayed at the other Campsite in Salthill(just next door) a few times. Management are very friendly there and seem to run a good business, at the time their prices were reasonable but certainly couldn't compare with France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Hard to know which site people are talking about. We are in the 2nd site on the left heading out - Salthill Caravan Park. O'Hallorans was the 1st on the left. The pitch in O'Hallorans wasn't that great tbh so we moved to the next one and here we are.

Arrived here about 2 hours ago. Glorious day, sun shining if a bit windy. Kids are out having a run, small playground to play in.

We have a lovely pitch, hardstanding, elec, water nearby, looking straight out to sea. Low tide and no smell. Wind is heading out to sea so that might make a difference.

€33 for the night for the 5 of us which is ok considering it is Galway and it is the weekend. Approx 10 campers, 5 tuggers and 5 tents here. Most of the mobiles look empty.

We're happy here for the while

Hi dfbmt,

hope you have a nice time in Galway/Salthill.

Reading the above posts, it is not that hard to know which site is being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We stayed in the first place on the left, after the second one told us they were full when we phoned. The hard stand pitches were full, so we were on grass, but it wasn't too bad considering the weather that preceded us arriving (certainly no danger of being stuck). Hot water was free in the toilets, we didn't try the showers as we weren't there long enough. Didn't find the campers kitchen either, but wasn't an issue for us.

Think it was €29 for the 4 of us, with hook up. Facilities definitely not up to some, but was fine, and the location suited us for a couple of days. I have real doubts any Irish sites offer value for money*, so I'd only judge it based on others we've stayed at, and it was ok.

*This may be off topic and perhaps the topic deserves it's own thread, like some posts in other threads I've read recently... Next year our plans are to go abroad. Obviously the main thing is the experience, but I'd be lying if our percieved lack of value wasn't a factor. Our experience was generally positive in touring Ireland, but the costs are a factor. When you read the British magazines, and see the facilities for similar or less money even allowing for exchange rates, we'd be looking at Britain even if we didn't have a tour taking in France as well anyway. And my impression is that the French sites are a different league again in value terms. I really don't buy the costs in Ireland argument either - every campsite except Westport was cash only, which I've personally drawn my own conclusions on.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Stayed at O'Halloran's - Nice guy operating site. Yes basic in comparison to France. They are obviously making an effort - new Sanitation block. Is small but very functional and no extra charges. Had a noisy neighbour on one night. The owner was very apologetic; without approaching him he came to offer a refund. Matter handled very well and not a put off. In fact site is ideal for access to Salthill and Galway. Easy by bike but bus right at site every half hour. Galway is buzzin'
    Owners have another site opposite with hard stands - didn't see that but is apparently open all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Wow I'm glad I read this, we're dying to get up to Galway City (where we used to live) to visit for a few days sometime, will definately be going to the site next door after reading the reviews on Trip advisor! Does Trip advisor have a dedicated sub-category for sites? I couldn't see one, would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

Sounds familiar. Site shoud be named and shamed and avoided like the plague. Be aware that there's a number of sites for camper vans down by the docks with EHU if you can find where to get card! 5 min walk from Main shopping Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

shaysue wrote: »
    Sounds familiar. Site shoud be named and shamed and avoided like the plague. Be aware that there's a number of sites for camper vans down by the docks with EHU if you can find where to get card! 5 min walk from Main shopping Street.

Is it harbour masters office? I'll probably stay there next week.

Yes. We eventually got one in the harbour masters office after trying all the bars and hotels around the docks. A local worker eventually helped us as it was 8pm. You pay parking fee of €3 for the period 7pm until 8am I think but it's the full rate during the day but still good value for centre of city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

shaysue wrote: »
    Yes. We eventually got one in the harbour masters office after trying all the bars and hotels around the docks. A local worker eventually helped us as it was 8pm. You pay parking fee of €3 for the period 7pm until 8am I think but it's the full rate during the day but still good value for centre of city.

Cheers, are you supposed to park parrallel to the kerb or perpendicular looks a bit short for perpendicular on google maps.

We parked perpendicular with nose out. Was very aware that I was poking out a bit on road but had no probs. My van is over 7.5m long. If you park parallel you will take up more than one space.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

Macy0161 wrote: »

*This may be off topic and perhaps the topic deserves it's own thread, like some posts in other threads I've read recently... Next year our plans are to go abroad. Obviously the main thing is the experience, but I'd be lying if our percieved lack of value wasn't a factor. Our experience was generally positive in touring Ireland, but the costs are a factor. When you read the British magazines, and see the facilities for similar or less money even allowing for exchange rates, we'd be looking at Britain even if we didn't have a tour taking in France as well anyway. And my impression is that the French sites are a different league again in value terms. I really don't buy the costs in Ireland argument either - every campsite except Westport was cash only, which I've personally drawn my own conclusions on.

dont think you will be allowed a thread like that ....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80482552

Advertisement