Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning Ireland

• 21-08-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

I just can't stand it anymore.

Is the presenter Aine Lawlor - it sounds like her again. I thought she was gone.

She annoys my head. She has no clue how to interview - just shouts her questions at people and sounds like she is going to slash them up. she's the most annoying person on radio. I'm gonna have to change channels - I can't stand it anymore.

Im not sure if it is her anymore but it certainly sounds like her.

On a good point - I think she has been banned from telling the time on radio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Really liked listening to aine and cathal this morning. Think she is quite a cheerful presenter who seems to enjoy her job. I like Gavin and Rachel when they are on too. Was thinking this morning about the sports bulletins. Impressed with the way padraig lodge interacts with the presenters. Don't like des-he seems to be quite dismissive of comments from the presenters-a bit like John kenny...shudder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is the presenter Aine Lawlor - it sounds like her again. I thought she was gone.

It is her. She is back on air after taking nearly a year off to battle cancer.

I for one am delighted to see her back, herself and McCoille are the best partnership on morning radio for those of us who want to hear the news, and hear politicians answer tough questions, as opposed to listening to presenters slagging each other off on other stations. Long may they continue.

If only they could tell the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I must be in the minority so - I find her very irritating, useless as an interview (actually just throws sentences at the person and doesn't even wait for an answer), and yes, extremely bad at telling the time.

Didn't know she was out for cancer - hope she is healthy now. But she still grates on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I must be in the minority so - I find her very irritating, useless as an interview (actually just throws sentences at the person and doesn't even wait for an answer), and yes, extremely bad at telling the time.

Didn't know she was out for cancer - hope she is healthy now. But she still grates on me.

I find her irritating as well. Especially when she gets all giggly with whomever does the sports news. I can't stand her. The tough interview for the sake of it is actually often inappropriate. It's just a default.There's no differentiation.
    They all want to be Paxman on MI. All of them betray their RTE bubble mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I don't mind Aine, except when she does the mammy or the giggle thing.

Rachel is the one who really annoys me. Can nobody else hear the saliva in her mouth when she talks? I cannot stand it. I would ban her from the radio just for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I'm with you 100%, I listen to the news and papers and if I know she'll be on I switch to NT till PK.

If you do a search here using her name you'll see me on alot of them.

I was sorry she was ill,happy she was better but sad she was back.:mad:

She just dosen't get it, its the voice the lack of timing and the hopeless comments. I remember visiting my parents in IRL and been put off my breakfast having to listen to her.

Please Aine go to the back room.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Anyone but Claire Byrne. :eek:

Personally I think the standard of presentation on Morning Ireland is very high - as it should be.

But they REALLY need to do CORRECT timechecks - it diminishes the programme big time.

And it happens so often, and for so long. Why is this allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lol... Gavin Jennings has just given people across the country heart attacks.... A quarter to nine indeed... Seems it's not just Rachael who cant read the clock.. Why dont they get a clock that has the words written on the front of it... Like this one...

word-clock.jpg

Then they could just read out the time, instead of having to worry about the technical skills involved in being able to read a clock.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Not to be excluded from the fun, Cathal McCoille has also had his moments of difficulty on what the Morning Ireland crew must refer to as that roundy thing with the big hand and the little hand with numbers on it up the wall. Last month he managed to confuse the actual time "quarter past eight" with "quarter to nine", something his peers in the studio must consider a feat of oneupmanship, while speed traps up and down the country probably recorded peaks and breakfast eggs were spluttered back onto rattling plates.

"Time" to send the team a belated New Year's gift.

s962.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Stopped listening some time ago, does Cathal still allow us to hear the contents of his nose when guests are speaking?

• Advertisement

Stopped listening some time ago, does Cathal still allow us to hear the contents of his nose when guests are speaking?

Oh yes! every breath he takes is a matter of record ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Watch out for the refitted Morning Ireland studio tomorrow (Weds 13th) - on RTE News Now and webcams.

Looks nice!

(I wasn't sure whether to post this on Radio or TV forums!)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Just watched Primetime on RTE1 this evening - Richard Downes provided yet another excellent report from USA. I never thought highly of his interviewing skills on Morning Ireland. Credit where its due, somebody made the right call to send him into the field again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

BC7qg_4CYAAxkeM.jpg:large

New morning ireland studios from the tweet machine.

Very nice, and none of those nasty clock things to obscure the view either. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone hear a piece this morning ?
    They were discussing the Seanad referendum and a guest, Gary Murphy, says he is working in DCU to which the male presenter replies "which means you do not have a vote (for the Seanad)". The guest then corrects him by saying actually he does have a vote as he graduated from a NUI university.
    The presenter did not apologise for making a totally false assumption and misleading the listener.
    Very bad form for a so called news programme.

02:40 in http://www.rte.ie/news/morningireland/player.html?20130830,20429277,20429277,flash,232

Should I complain, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is gavin jennings and the weather guy related hes jennings too? why is gavin jennings a broadcaster i thought he was a doctor?

I think Jennings is one of the best presenters of Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Dickie10 wrote: »
    is gavin jennings and the weather guy related hes jennings too? why is gavin jennings a broadcaster i thought he was a doctor?
    You're not born a doctor for gods sake, Jennings is the least annoying of the boring ireland batch , cannot abide Mac COille, feels like being in ireland in the 197O,s listening to him.

Oops69 wrote: »
    Ycannot abide Mac COille, feels like being in ireland in the 197O,s listening to him.

:D Very good I know what you mean, but I like him and think he's perfect for morning Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Expunge

Morning Ireland sounds to me as if it hasn't changed in it's 30 or years on air. The presenters have obviously changed but it sounds the same as it did in the 80's. It's definitely more credible and better resourced than Newstalk's offering, but by Jesus it's dull dull dull.
    The fact that we still must listen to the meterologists of Met Eireann at 5 to eight sound like they're talking into a bucket from Glasnevin is enough for me.
    It's not about the quality of the information, it's how it's done.

Having said that, it's still the most listened to radio programme in Ireland.

ah the weather at 7-55 is brilliant bang on always, it gives 5 days ahead its the best weather forecast of the lot imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its like a community radio broadcast compared to "Today" on BBC Radio 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

its like a community radio broadcast compared to "Today" on BBC Radio 4

It is a bit. Although the resources available to both programmes are probably comparible in the same manner too.

I usually listen to the first hour of Today before switching over to RTÉ at 7 when they wake up, but often find myself going back to the BBC after the preview of the papers on Morning Ireland.

It depends on what the headline news is.

Take a couple of weeks ago. Today programme covering important global stories in the first hour such as Putin's growing dominance in Russia and beyond, Merkel's warning to Cameron over Britain's potential conflict of interest with the EU over immegration policy and even a report on the housing market here post celtic tiger.

Switched over to Morning Ireland as per usual and the first story covered was about a bunch of farmers picketing outside some meat factory in Meath. Sod that. I was straight back to Radio 4 before I heard the first farmer complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Anybody else getting sick at the breakfast table listening to Peter Sutherland lecturing us about morality and generosity to our fellow human beings... Give us a break RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

the lad that works for goldman sachs ?

must stream it for a laugh !

:D

I just caught the last 10 minutes of MI today. Their time scheduling was dreadful-in the two interviews, both guests were abruptly cut off with "We're running out of time" but they still managed to fit in a commercial break! I don't see why they did not just schedule 1 interview rather than 2 shoddy ones. To me it came across as unprofessional.

they do that an awful lot just cut people off mid sentence and for the last two minutes of the interview you can nearly hear the presenter panicking over the time, theres an awful lot of "ok,ok yes ,ok, right we have to go , ok, ok,sorry, running out of time......" you just expexct them to say "phew !" at the end as the hang up or cut off the person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Jeffrey Donaldson body slammed yer one on Morning Ireland just there as she was getting on her high horse and attempting to bully the interviewee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Dickie10 wrote: »
    they do that an awful lot just cut people off mid sentence and for the last two minutes of the interview you can nearly hear the presenter panicking over the time, theres an awful lot of "ok,ok yes ,ok, right we have to go , ok, ok,sorry, running out of time......" you just expexct them to say "phew !" at the end as the hang up or cut off the person!

Miriam O'Callaghan is another one who does that repeatedly. And I find it really uncomfortable knowing the interviewer is unsuccessfully trying to wrap it up. Given that the MI crew are on radio, I think they should have time cards, or gesture with their hands, to indicate for guests to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

califano wrote: »
    Jeffrey Donaldson body slammed yer one on Morning Ireland just there as she was getting on her high horse and attempting to bully the interviewee.

Terrible interview, so rude. Why would anyone from the DUP bother appearing on this programme if they are going to be spoken to in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Samantha Libreri is good on the radio. She has a nice voice for it.

The incessant noise in the background and sound of people writing still wrecks my head though.

Samantha Libreri is good on the radio. She has a nice voice for it.

The incessant noise in the background and sound of people writing still wrecks my head though.
    She's good but, not surprisingly comes across a but nervous. She was always good at reporting for the news so I'd say she'll be a good presenter on Morning Ireland. It was gas listening to her chatting with the US correspondent, Caitriona Perry - I thought it was the one person talking as they sounded so similar!

honeybear wrote: »
    She's good but, not surprisingly comes across a but nervous.

Yeah she's certainly outside of her comfort zone, but that will pass if they leave her there. I think she's just filling in for someone's holidays though.

Going by today's Morning Ireland I think Samantha Libreri badly needs a few elocution lessons. Poor speech is very noticeable and annoying on radio, less so on TV.

• Advertisement

Honestly, how many mornings do I have to listen to a lecture in "carrying out my moral duty" for migrants from Peter Sutherland. What does this man know about "sharing" and "being generous". Lucifer himself would have more credibility in that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Getting a bit fed up with Patrick McDonnell's long running character... the joke is getting old lad.

merged.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Honestly, how many mornings do I have to listen to a lecture in "carrying out my moral duty" for migrants from Peter Sutherland. What does this man know about "sharing" and "being generous". Lucifer himself would have more credibility in that job.

Have to say that 'unctious' is the first word that comes to mind when Peter the Great comes on the wireless.

honeybear wrote: »
    She's good but, not surprisingly comes across a but nervous. She was always good at reporting for the news so I'd say she'll be a good presenter on Morning Ireland. It was gas listening to her chatting with the US correspondent, Caitriona Perry - I thought it was the one person talking as they sounded so similar!

Wall to wall Dort accented duo?

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Going by today's Morning Ireland I think Samantha Libreri badly needs a few elocution lessons. Poor speech is very noticeable and annoying on radio, less so on TV.

I'm afraid a lot more than poor Sam need those lessons Desk.

Standard of pronounciation is appalling, I say, appalling.

Conor Brophy with his "cumpanies" comes to mind.

Could do a whole thread on that subject for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Did anybody else notice strange goings on on Morning Ireland this morning?

The show started off at 7am with Rachel English and Cathal MacCoille with Conor Brophy doing the business news. Cathal MacCoille had a really rambling interview with Tony Connolly about the EU Apple decision due later. By 8 o'clock this show was being presented by Rachel English and Conor Brophy with Cathal MacCoille gone. I don't think anything was mentioned by the end of the programme - just seems very strange?

@Conor84 - yes I did notice. One minute Conor Brophy was the business reporter, next he was the programme presenter.

Strange. I wonder did Cathal MacCoille take ill?

Conor84 wrote: »
    Did anybody else notice strange goings on on Morning Ireland this morning?

The show started off at 7am with Rachel English and Cathal MacCoille with Conor Brophy doing the business news. Cathal MacCoille had a really rambling interview with Tony Connolly about the EU Apple decision due later. By 8 o'clock this show was being presented by Rachel English and Conor Brophy with Cathal MacCoille gone. I don't think anything was mentioned by the end of the programme - just seems very strange?

Yes only half listening, but noticed McCoille was unusually ' rambling' in the discussion with Tony C.

Said to myself,"That's not like McCoille" but didn't notice the baton change.

Hopefully nowt serious happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

According to his Twitter he had a nose bleed but fine now

Badabing wrote: »
    According to his Twitter he had a nose bleed but fine now

Good, not a big problem there.

Advertisement