Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Horse

• 21-08-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

I was walking with my dogs the other day in the fields on the opposite bank of the River Lee from the Lee fields when my dogs found a dead horse stuck in the mud, beginning to decompose. Is there someone I should tell? There are other horses with foals in the same field.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd ring the SPCA and the Council environmental health officers.
    Its a health hazard aside from any other issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I Definitely be ringing the SPCA. If the body was starting to decompose, it must have been there, what, a few days at least? You could always hazard a guess that if the body was stuck in the mud, thats possibly how it died. Which means i would have been stuck for a while. Surely the owner should have checked on them in all that time? Especially with the weather as it has been reecently, and with foals too.

Sounds very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

It's also an offence not to dispose of an amimal carcass properly, but the SPCA would take that up if it came to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Contacted Cork County Council, had no reply. Will try SPCA. Think that the horse probably had a long death, but also think that the horses probably don't belong to just one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

SPCA not really interested, Cork County Council Vet Dept sent someone around but reckons that they wouldn't be able to dislodge the carcass as it is too firmly embedded so that it will just have to break down naturally. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Its a shame that nobody really seems bothered about the welfare of the horses still there. They obviously are not receiving quite the level of care they should, if that horse died and has just been left there. What if it happens again?

Was it the Cork SPCA you spoke too or the ISPCA Victor Dowling Equine Rescue Centre in Mallow? They might be worth a try. Just to make them aware ya know.

Advertisement