Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First we had 'Legitimate Rape', now there's 'Rape creates Extraordinary People'

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not quite Teebs, that's more a case of survival in any way one can in such circumstances. However yes it was most certainly the lesser of two evils, so in that sense yes. Gang raped by dozens of men day after day with no sense of safety at all and a real risk of being murdered versus making a horrible bargain with one? I'd take the latter any day of the week. It might even feel more like a "choice". Certainly some of the voices of such women I've read said this. Some even imagined they were real affairs. Some even said they enjoyed the new attention. Ways for the soul to cope and survive such traumas I suppose. Hitlers secretary did just that. After being passed around about 20 men, she ended up "befriending" a Russian Captain IIRC. Funny enough last year I watched Downfall about the last days of herr hitler in his bunker and she featured as one of the main characters and voices, but at the end she's shown walking quietly clutching a childs hand magically unscathed through the passive waiting Soviet troops. An odd tableau, made odder by the film star beauty of the actress. No mention of what actually went down at all. Glossing over history.

The book Downfall by Anthony Beevor is actually quite detailed about this kind of stuff. There were entire groups of women who were killed in mass drownings. One person reported seeing droves of women heading for the river as the russians approached. There was such a fear of rape and mutilation that women were killing themselves to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Grayson wrote: »

The book Downfall by Anthony Beevor is actually quite detailed about this kind of stuff. There were entire groups of women who were killed in mass drownings. One person reported seeing droves of women heading for the river as the russians approached. There was such a fear of rape and mutilation that women were killing themselves to prevent it.

There's also a lot of documented history of female slaves in the US and the Caribbean killing themselves and their children because of the ever present threat of rape by the slave owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

There is a huge casm between discusion of this and listening to someone who has been through it or one case.

Each case needs to be intricately broken down and when you do this the term Rape is redundant. It is useful only for writing legislation.

I would sincerly like to hear more debate on the prevention of rape. Every secondry school child, both male and female should be given a class on self protection in sexual relationships and on the street.

There should a public stratgey to combat the Spiking of drinks. And more awareness of what people should do if they see suspious behavouir.

Women should be warned not to get inebriated to the point where they cannot take responsibilty for themselves.

Rape within the Gay community should be taken seriously.

I would like to hear from the men how they feel rape can be prevented without ordinary men feeling persecuted because i fear that is how it may come accross.

How can we prevent rape as a society?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What the **** is up with these guys and the trend of putting qualifiers before the word rape? Are they trying to say there is "fake rape" and "pretend rape" or something?

Legitimate rape is state-condoned rape, don't ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So what he's saying is that because Ethel Waters is a fine human being then rape is a force for good.

Sounds great logic to me. If you're a four-year old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There should a public stratgey to combat the Spiking of drinks.
    In Ireland at least it's a very rare occurrence. Ask any casualty doctor or nurse. Plain old alcohol in the vast vast majority of cases is the problem.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

In Ireland at least it's a very rare occurrence. Ask any casualty doctor or nurse. Plain old alcohol in the vast vast majority of cases is the problem.

I'd wonder what the actual statistics are on drinks being spiked. Or is it a case of people taking advantage of other people who've had too much to drink? (which is equally as awful).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've just finished an interesting book on the immediate aftermath of Germany's surrender in WW2.

What's the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

These insane people always existed. It's just that now, through a more media driven society, that we are hearing about them more often and much faster. Most of theses idiots reside in the craziest country of them all.

I thank every day that I live in Europe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kowloon wrote: »
    What's the book?
    :o I've forgotten. Loaned it to a mate the other day, but I'll find for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Society hasn't been kind to single mothers over the ages and lack of a father figure / mum having to go out to work. Now imagine if the child was conceived out of rape.

It's easy to imagine, especially in the past, a correlation between the children born of rape having a tougher life and as a result turning out to be less than model citizens.

I'd argue that while some of those children turned out well , a lot were bastards in both senses of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I read the article about Huckabee's campaign for the freeing of the convicted rapist and the reason for it is as disturbing as the act itself.
    In 1996, as a newly elected governor who had received strong support from the Christian right, Huckabee was under intense pressure from conservative activists to pardon Dumond or commute his sentence. The activists claimed that Dumond's initial imprisonment and various other travails were due to the fact that Ashley Stevens, the high school cheerleader he had raped, was a distant cousin of Bill Clinton, and the daughter of a major Clinton campaign contributor.

The case for Dumond's innocence was championed in Arkansas by Jay Cole, a Baptist minister and radio host who was a close friend of the Huckabee family. It also became a cause for New York Post columnist Steve Dunleavy, who repeatedly argued for Dumond's release, calling his conviction "a travesty of justice." On Sept. 21, 1999, Dunleavy wrote a column headlined "Clinton's Biggest Crime - Left Innocent Man In Jail For 14 Years":

"Dumond, now 52, was given conditional parole yesterday in Arkansas after having being sentenced to 50 years in jail for the rape of Clinton's cousin," Dunleavy wrote. "That rape never happened."

In essence it seems the whole reason for the campaign for his release was political mudslinging, are people really willing to sink that low?

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have a look at the Republican that is running in the States now for the position of Vice president - one Paul Ryan - you know that chap that in 2011 co-sponsored a bill with Akin, that would have limited the government help available to women seeking abortions in the case of rape to cases of “forcible rape”.
    Paul Ryan Said Something That Should Force Him Off the Ticket, But You Probably Didn't Hear About It

Last week, Paul Ryan gave an interview in which, defending his position that there should be no excuses for abortion, he referred to rape as a "method of conception."

Wow, right? Talk about a benign euphemism. Rape -- RAPE! -- is now a "method of conception." You know, like love-making, just without the love.

There could be no greater testament to the utter abdication of responsibility by what passes for a "news" media in America in 2012 than that, despite the grotesquerie of this cavalierly callous comment, chances are better than good that this is the first you're hearing of it.

Here, watch it -- and try to figure out why this has gotten NO MAINSTREAM MEDIA play (not even here at the Huffington Post) despite it being, to my mind, a far more offensive remark than Todd Akin's imbecilic blurt of last weekend. What, are we tired of stupid remarks about rape now, so Ryan gets a free pass?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-slansky-/paul-ryan-said-something-_b_1832377.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

mackg wrote: »
    I read the article about Huckabee's campaign for the freeing of the convicted rapist and the reason for it is as disturbing as the act itself.

In essence it seems the whole reason for the campaign for his release was political mudslinging, are people really willing to sink that low?

:(

I take it this was what the South park episode "Free Hat" was based on.

"he referred to rape as a "method of conception."???? Good fcuk. And this is what a potential Vice prez of the US mindset is? Sweet jesus. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:

Then again so many American folks won't get to hear this shíte because of their media. Even the most rabid of republicans would sit back and think "WTF??" if they knew.

Then again maybe not. Look at Sarah Palin. Another mouthbreather who thought the earth was a few thousand years old and dinosaurs gamboled with humans. And many of them have the sheer unadulterated nerve of accusing the taliban of being gobshítes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MagicSean wrote: »
    I take it this was what the South park episode "Free Hat" was based on.

Never seen that episode so I can't say.

Advertisement