Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good chutney recipes?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any really good chutney recipes? I've made Darina/Rachel's Spicy Apple one for the last couple of years, but I'm looking for something a bit more exciting this time around. It's not bad, but it's far from moreish.

Have done a bit of searching online and there are tonnes of recipes, but I'd rather get a few recommendations before commiting myself.

I'd also be interested in a really good onion jam one if any has a standout recipe for that either :)

Thanks a mill x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you had a look through any of the threads that come back in the search function?

A simple search for chutney gives you these threads...

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Thanks for that. I did do a search first actually (should have said so in my original post), but the results were either pretty old, unsuitable (I don't have a glut of tomatoes etc), or didn't appeal.

I was really hoping for a recommendation, something someone has tried recently and found to be really good, or an old favourite that they use time and time again because it works out so well etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi Teyla, You can make chutney with almost anything, what are you thinking of using? or what would you like to try?, there is loads of recipes out there, but if you could us an idea of what you'd like to try, we might be able to help you with a recipe, :)

sdp wrote: »
    Hi Teyla, You can make chutney with almost anything, what are you thinking of using? or what would you like to try?, there is loads of recipes out there, but if you could us an idea of what you'd like to try, we might be able to help you with a recipe, :)

Thanks sdp. I am really thinking a tomato based relish type primarily I guess. Something for meat and cheese. I am just thinking of Christmas presents really. There is very little in the garden this year thanks to that late frost in may, so it won't have to be apple based for a change!

Hi, heres a tomato based one I use every chrisrmas, you will need apples for the pectin in them, otherwise you won't get a set, (that's what my gran always said, but the good people might be able to tell you more :) ) also you won't taste the apple at all

spicy tomato chutney

1kg ripe tomatoes ( peeled and chopped)
    400g cooking apples (peeled and chopped)
    240g onions (chopped)
    375ml malt vinegar
    220g brown sugar
    120g sultanas
    1/4 tsp chilli powder or flakes (more if you like things hot )
    1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp ground allspice

put everything into large heavy based saucepan,
    stir over low heat till sugar is dissolved (very important not to boil till sugar is dissolved)
    bring to boil. then simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for about 1 hour, or until mixture is thick,
    spoon hot chutney into hot sterillised jars,seal while hot,
    store in cool dark place for at least 4 weeks before opening, once opened store in fridge,
    best of luck with it
    let us know how you get on :)
    also have a look in this forum for (making your own Christmas presents ) its really good and will give you great ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Thanks for posting the recipe. How many jars do you get out of it? (approx.)
    sdp wrote: »
    Hi, heres a tomato based one I use every chrisrmas, <snip>Christmas presents ) its really good and will give you great ideas

Hi Vic, I get about 1.5 litres, this recipe can be doubled up no problem,
    and always go'es down a treat,
    :)

Thanks sdp that looks great. Sounds like it has plenty of kick! Thanks for taking the time to post, will definitely try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Not really a chutney but lovely on brown bread with cheese or on a burger.

900g(2lb) finely chopped courgettes
    1 large onion finely chopped
    500ml (16 fl oz) cider vinegar
    350g (12oz) granulated sugar
    2tsp english mustard powder
    1tsp turmeric
    1-2 tsp chilli flakes
    2 tsp cornflour
    2 tsp coriander seeds

Put courgettes and onions in a large saucepan and and pour over cider vinegar, stir to mix.
    Add sugar, mustard powder, turmeric, chilli flakes, cornflour, and coriander seeds and stir over a gentle heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil . reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 40 mins- 1 hour.
    Pour into sterlised jars and leave for a month to mature, keep in the fridge after opening.

another one that I like to make is
    http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.ie/2008/03/pickled-zucchini.html

With the last few years I've made those along with the Rachel/Darina Allen Spicy tomato and apple.

Sounds very like Piccalilli, without cauliflower, and it is lovely, and hold really well,
    thanks Fitcoff.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement