Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Thread (Info & Requests) '12/'13 PP * ALL ACCOM. POSTS GO HERE! *

• 11-08-2009 11:28am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For students looking to live in Waterford during college term, I have put together a list of common places I can think of. Feel free to ask any questions or make additional suggestions here. If you are looking for accommodation or have accommodation on offer - post away.

Estate Agents / Property Management companies are not permitted to post on Boards without prior agreement with the Boards.ie Community Managers. This can be obtained by email; hello@boards.ie. Thank You

Never be fooled by advertising campaigns and pictures of apartments that were accurate several years ago when they were built but have changed big time since! Ask other students for Feedback. The College has its own Accommodation Office which is located at the back of the Students Union Office (turn right as you walk out of the business building).

Manor Village - Manor Village isn't bad for first years and if your not looking for fancy accommodation. Apartments are basic enough, in okay condition and security is tight. After a certain time you are not allowed bring non-residents into your apartment. Some say they don't like party's, but I have found security easy going in that respect. They have a direct college bus also. Its right beside College St. campus and 10-15min walk to main campus. Its about 5-10mins into the city centre, 5mins (or less) to the clubs & pubs and is located near the main public bus route. Never been in Manor 2 which is supposed to cater for those in college a few years.

Riverwalk - Very similar to Manor Village but nicer apartments, more relaxed security but tight on people causing trouble etc. No restrictions on coming and going. Personally prefer Riverwalk to Manor, but the downside is your 10-15mins away from the main campus, 5-10 from College St. and pubs/clubs and again 10-15mins from the town centre. You are a fair bit away from the nearest bus stop for the city routes (closest bus stop is for Tramore). No direct bus provided either.

Railway Square - More luxurious apartments then most student accommodation. These were built in the last few years and seem to be in fairly good condition. Completely private, located right beside the cinema, bus stop outside, close to the pubs and clubs and 5mins into the city centre. Probably not idea for first years and perfect if looking for accommodation with a few friends.

Templers Hall - Houses situated in a mixed residential estate with families and students. Nicest houses are on the front and its generally quieter there. Have been a few troubles in recent years with students causing problems for other residents but after warnings from the college director, guards and students union - its probably going to improve. Downside is your closest to the halting site (the further back into the estate you go). Security warned us on first day about the estate, Ballybeg, which Templers is near. Cant say I found much, if any, problems caused by them. Some houses are good condition and some are awful - so check the house before renting. Located 5mins from main campus, close to bus stops and 10-15mins to College St.

Lismore Park - At the back of the college, more houses in a mixed estate (probably more families then students). Only problems here are parking related but as always when renting houses and apartments - check the condition first. 2mins from main campus, 10-15mins to College St. and is located on a city bus route.

College Fields - On campus accommodation at the back of the college. Never been inside and never knew anybody who stayed there.

Browns Road Complex - Close to Lismore Park. Never been there, cant comment.

Nearly all of the above have internet access but its nothing special!

Tips

Some tips from the accommodation office when looking for places to stay:-
    • Students should always view the accommodation prior to booking.
    • Always get a receipt when placing a deposit down.
    • Rentbooks should be supplied by your landlord/lady.
    • Rentbooks can be obtained from the Accommodation Office or Students Union office.

Besides looking here for places to stay check out;
    www.daft.ie
    www.manorproperties.ie
    www.g.fitz.com
    www.bookaroom.ie
    www.munsterexpress.ie
    www.collegecribs.ie

Notices are frequently placed on college noticeboards, in toilets and beside WIT Card Topup Machines.

Bus Routes
    There are two bus routes running ever 12mins or so outside the college entrances and that general area. The 1C and 2C Bus Eireann.

The 1C Route travels from the Quay -> College St. -> Waterford Crystal -> WIT Main Campus -> Ballybeg -> Templers Hall (stop is just a you leave Ballybeg Estate) -> Ballybricken (top of the city) -> The Glen (beside The Forum nightclub) -> Quay.

The 3C Route travels from the Quay -> Ballybricken -> Paddy Browns Road (several stops along this route including near Lismore Park and the rear of the college) -> WIT Main Campus -> College St. -> Quay.

There all around the €1.60 mark but it tends to increase every year.

This thread wont be just a list. It can be a discussion on various places and also a point where folk can request accommodation etc. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Dreadful

I'm looking for a room mate in Waterford city September this year for 9+ month. I'm a going into third year of my course at WIT.

There is nothing wrong with me, I'm not a forever alone or some sort of a loser that I'm looking for a room mate on internet. It is just that, as much as I love my friends, they are messy... Really messy. I've lived with 4 of my close friends from college and no more :P And they are all couples now and I've recently gone single, I want new people in my life.
    Also I never go with student accommodation, I always get a proper nice residential apartments and most places like that require for you to pay full rent, alone or not, so I gotta find a room mate. I thought it would be a good time to post this now since most people know if they got their course now or very soon.

Any question, ask away. Or you can check out my facebook if you trust your judgement first =)http://www.facebook.com/andrew.selivjorstovs

Thank you for reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Did you not live in Manor Village in First Year?? I could swear I recognize you from there.

Other than that, go to the accommodation office in the College Beside the games room. I was very late sorting accommodation for myself last year and they gave me literally hundreds of numbers for people who lease houses that have spare rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lisat315

I'm a young female mature student who is starting in W.I.T this year and ideally I would of loved a one bed apartment to rent this year in Waterford, as iv had disasters sharing with people before, they were really messy or always partying. But I'm finding out that 1 bed apts are 2 dear for me. So the next best option is to look for a 2 bed that i can share with another female, who likes to keep apt clean and tidy and is focused on course work but goes out the odd night.

Yeah I did :P Who are you ?

See, I don't want to live anywhere close to student accommodation. And I never leave something like this to last minute, hence why I'm posting this now. And those houses will probable be near main college, I'm college street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

mature student starting college in september, just looking for a room to rent, prefer to share house with mature students. would anyone have any recommendations ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eire1987

Howdy.

mature student going back to college (for final yr - after 5 yr break!! sigh! :rolleyes:) in september 2012, just looking for a room to rent, prefer to share house with mature students. would anyone have any recommendations ?? Ive been looking at De Bruin Apartments... Does anyone know anything about them!!?? You can PM me if you like...

Cheers!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ollie1994

Hi,
    Im thinking of moving in to the Riverwalk Students Apartments. However, I have a few questions beforehand:
    1) How far is it to the city centre & to WIT Main campus? I dont mind walking, but I dont want to be walking if the weather is terrible. How far is it to a nearest bus stop?
    2) I heard there is no washing machine in the apartments. Where is the nearest launderette and how much does it cost?
    3) How much is it on average for ESB a month?
    4) I heard there is also 100 euro bin charge? Is that for the year or how does this work?
    Thanks so much in advance :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ollie1994 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im thinking of moving in to the Riverwalk Students Apartments. However, I have a few questions beforehand:
    1) How far is it to the city centre & to WIT Main campus? I dont mind walking, but I dont want to be walking if the weather is terrible. How far is it to a nearest bus stop?
    2) I heard there is no washing machine in the apartments. Where is the nearest launderette and how much does it cost?
    3) How much is it on average for ESB a month?
    4) I heard there is also 100 euro bin charge? Is that for the year or how does this work?
    Thanks so much in advance :):D

1)It's about a fifteen minute walk to the college from Riverwalk and about fifteen minutes to the city centre also (opposite directions). The walk isn't too bad, but probably too far to come home if you have a break in lectures for 2 hours or so. When I lived there in 2010, there was a mini bus/taxi that came to Riverwalk a few times every morning which would charge €2 to the main campus.

2) I think there is a launderette service in the apartment complex, however I never used them so not sure about this or how much it costs.

3) ESB for us between 3 was very cheap for the first month or two, but as it gets colder and you start needing to use the heating a lot more it gets more expensive, never really more than €20 a month though at the worst of times from what I can remember.

4) Yes the bin charge was for the year, you just throw all your rubbish into the skip outside your apartment block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

The internet is useless, the storage heaters are useless, There is little or sometimes no notice given when the staff enter your apartment, Bedroom I stayed in was very mouldy. Very hard to get the deposit back even if the place is left as good as the day you got it. All visitors have to sign in at reception. When you live there it feels like your being constantly watched and they complain over the slightest things.

Few good points: The grounds are kept clean and tidy. It is safe to live there. It is close to both colleges and there is plenty of parking.

Walking distance to both colleges would be about 10-15 mins. ESB seemed reasonable enough. In my opinion there are plenty of better places to live, eg. Strawberry Hill, Manor Village etc...

There is a laundrette in the complex, never used it, so dont know anything about it.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Updated for 2012/2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dayo

I have 2 single rooms to rent in my house sharing with myself. i am a single male
    The house has all mod cons, central heating and wirerless 20 gig broad band
    upc is available in the room if needed.

rent is 60 euro per week

the house is in a quiet area 12 minutes walk from wit and the industrial park
    15 minutes walk into the city and a bus stops outside the house, servicing paddy browns road, cork road wit and the city.

email me dayo68@yahoo.com
    or ring 085 762 00 69

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cookieraider

Hi guys,

myself and 2 others are looking for a place.. close enough to the cork road campus if we could get it but willing to look at other places... all of us going into 4th year. If anyone knows of a place please let me know. much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi guys,

myself and 2 others are looking for a place.. close enough to the cork road campus if we could get it but willing to look at other places... all of us going into 4th year. If anyone knows of a place please let me know. much appreciated!

Waterford Lettings have a reception at no.1 Briot Place in Templars Hall. They'll show you what houses they have there, and I know for a fact there are a few houses still empty as of now anyway, so be quick.

The only thing is, is they are a bit more expensive, and don't include bins etc in the monthly cost, whereas I'm renting off the owner of the house personally and he is including bins which still turns out to be a lot cheaper than their quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cookieraider

cheers for the reply, yeah going to get in contact with them today. Going to try and stay away from templars hall if we can, some of the things ive heard from people living there is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mickkav

im renting a 4 bedroom bungalow for 65euro a week and am looking for students to share with! its just outside the city centre but there is a bus route that goes straight in! get in touch with me if your interested

im renting a 4 bedroom bungalow outside the city for 65euro a week and need people to share with

STUDENT ACCOMMODATION WATERFORD i am current renting a room in a bungalow for 65euro a week! located just outside city centre. i am looking for people to share with! get it touch for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 13 leanne__murphy

I only applied to manor yesterday ... does anybody know if theres still room or places there ? Thanks

I only applied to manor yesterday ... does anybody know if theres still room or places there ? Thanks

The house im in still has a couple of rooms to rent! Im renting for 65 a week! The house is outide the city center which is the only downside but its a straight road into the town! Let me know im renting on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Im an apprentice going down on sunday living in decies ave. anyone any idea what its like there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Should that not be OFFERED!! ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

have booked a viewing for De Bruin court. THe guy on the phone said something about me possibly not being able to live there because Im not a student of W.I.T (Going to WCFE). :confused: but he said to come on down anyway and we'll see what the story is. Any idea why he said that?

Im curious to know how much you guys would spend living on your own. aside from the €65 + €2 rent fee, how much on average are your ESB bills and how often do you get them? How much on food do you spend a week? Any other hidden costs like heating etc?

Im hoping to spend no more than about €450 a month in total? Am I expecting things to be too cheap?

Sorry man, just got a new place.

It seems like your getting things really good I just found out they had spaces at browns accomodation and its costing me 80e a week without food or esb.

mickkav wrote: »
    The house im in still has a couple of rooms to rent! Im renting for 65 a week! The house is outide the city center which is the only downside but its a straight road into the town! Let me know im renting on my own
    Hi im viewing browns accomodation tomorrow if thats not suitable i might have a look thanks ! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Merged Accommodation Request / Information threads into this one thread. Please keep all information and requests for accommodation in the one thread!

mickkav wrote: »
    Hi im viewing browns accomodation tomorrow if thats not suitable i might have a look thanks ! :)

Cool keep me updated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cunny funts

Hi guys looking for people to live with asap in waterford. Im doing social studies and need a place asap but would prefer a quiet place as appose to manor or some place like that. Girls or lads dont matter. Im 21 but well up for the craic. Im very get onable with haha. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Do you drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 cunny funts

Media999 wrote: »
    Do you drive?

No im afriad not. No need to for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement