Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp My Club / Society / Event ('12 / '13)

Options
  • 15-08-2011 4:08pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is the thread to pimp your club / society or ask questions about societies in WIT.

All further threads on the matter will be referred to this thread and locked (in certain circumstances, a new thread will be allowed).

Each year the old thread will be locked and put aside with a new thread created for the new college term.

Also, if your Club or Society is holding any event that is open to the public, post the event details here! Student Union events also welcome. See below for the rules regarding posting in this thread.

Rules::
    • If your Club or Society is holding an event, you may only pimp the details in the thread once. Additional posts will be removed and considered spam.
    • If a particular event is attracting a lot of interest or discussion, it will be split into a new thread. Feel free to create a thread on the event itself if you feel it will attract a good bit of discussion on the forum.
    • Any pub/club/event promoter posting here about non-college club/society events will be marked for site wide ban for "Spamming". This thread is not an area for Clubs/Pubs to "pimp their nights"!

(Based on the UCD Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Updated for 2012/2013

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As long as Pool/9 Ball gets off the ground I'll be happy.

Golf and Poker too should get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

i ll be starting in WIT as a 1st year. how do i sign up for 8 ball pool:confused: ?

john 08 wrote: »
    i ll be starting in WIT as a 1st year. how do i sign up for 8 ball pool:confused: ?

There is a sign up day for all societies a week or 2 into the year after everything settles down. Along the corridor of the main building in Cork Rd. Campus one day and in College Street the next. Pool didn't get going 2 years ago, but did last year thanks to new guys running it. Sadly, I wasn't there, but back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Is there an active gaming society?

• Advertisement

Magaa wrote: »
    Is there an active gaming society?

yes, v. popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Is there a photography society or any kind of camera club in WIT? :)

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Is there a photography society or any kind of camera club in WIT? :)

Yup, there is a photography society!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 morbid.mascara

Is there a Fashion society ??

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tryde

Is there any sort of more detailed list of the clubs/societies for 12/13 school year? They have a list on WIT website, however I suppose they didn't list all of them, or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

tryde wrote: »
    Is there any sort of more detailed list of the clubs/societies for 12/13 school year? They have a list on WIT website, however I suppose they didn't list all of them, or am I wrong?

Try this link -> http://www.wit.ie/images/uploads/Current_Students_PDF/Sport__Recreation_Booklet_2012.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I saw yesterday a notice about the Amateur radio soc. Whats that like? Does WIT have a radio station in the college/online like UCD etc. have? Would be interested in joining it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It does have radio equipment, but no licence. There was an attempt to set up a station while I was there but I don't know what happened with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 foleyag

Alright man, the pool club will be up and running in the next week or so. Keep an eye here and in the games room for more info. Looking forward to meeting you. Andy, Club Captain.

callaway92 wrote: »
    There is a sign up day for all societies a week or 2 into the year after everything settles down. Along the corridor of the main building in Cork Rd. Campus one day and in College Street the next. Pool didn't get going 2 years ago, but did last year thanks to new guys running it. Sadly, I wasn't there, but back this year.
    Alright man, the pool club will be up and running in the next week or so. Keep an eye here and in the games room for more info. Looking forward to meeting you. Andy, Club Captain.

Hey all,

The Pool & Snooker club will be up and running very soon.

We will have a stand at the sign up days so keep an eye out for us. I haven't set a day for practise yet so we'll see what suits everyone. Last year was Wednesday which didn't work out too well at times given it's the night people are most likely to go out on the lash.

We will be entering the CUSAI Colleges League and the Irish Intervarsity Championships again after a very successful campaign last year. Along with this, we'll also host our own regular competitions.

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback, drop a reply in here.

Andy,
    Club Captain.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

WIT Political Society

I founded the Political Society on Campus with the support of a couple of Boardsies. It started very late with the hope it would have been taken over last year but nothing materialised.

So if anybody here wants to get the society back up and running, it would be great. Ill give any help I can but Robin in Clubs & Socs will be able to assist you also. It has huge potential as the college has a number of Political Societies already, but no society that offers an overview of Irish Politics without pushing a particular agenda.

When it started, we had a debate between local candidates running in the general election which nearly filled out the auditorium and got great coverage in local media.

I personally think that WIT needs a society that can offer political discussion and debate without having to be tied with a specific party and without agendas attached. Plenty of colleges have Political Societies and they are a huge success. Its not serious and boring, despite how it can be portrayed. It can be very good fun, plenty have made friends from life and really came out of their shell in joining such societies. Being active in politics is useful for you, can make a difference, and is your democratic right - something other countries are in war to get.

Let me know if you are interested and ill point you in the right direction.

WIT Young Fine Gael

The largest party-political society on campus is Young Fine Gael. Its died a little in the past couple of years as generally tends to happen when a lot of the members / committee leave college. In its busiest of times, it was basically a way for people who had a small or large interest in Fine Gael policies and the party to get involved. There were debates with other political societies, general discussions on current affairs, visits by local Senators, TDs and Cllrs to discuss various issues, attending of various FG/YFG conferences and so on.

You don't have to have a huge interest in politics to get involved in any of the political societies on campus. Your not expected to get heavily involved either - its up to you what role you want to play, if any. But taking part in any shape or form is always a good idea - its the politicians who are setting fees, grants, taxes, laws and so on. Politics has a direct impact on students, especially right now when the issue of fees, grants and jobs is hot on the topic list.

Let me know if you are interested and ill point you in the right direction. There is a new committee this year again by the looks of it with an incoming first year already expressing interest in getting involved.

WIT Journalism Society

The Journalism Society produced the college newspaper, The Campus Times. It reported on news and events in the college, including Clubs & Socs. It used to be associated with the Students Union but became independent so they society had more control over what could and couldn't be published (within reason, of course).

It took contributions from the student body as a whole and its own society members. While it ruffled a few feathers in the college with it being taken out of circulation as a result, the society has been a massive success in the past and has huge potential going forward if the right people get involved and are prepared to put in some time and effort. There tends to be resistance getting it up and running in the college, despite a huge amount of colleges and universities having papers (sometimes more than one) but its down to fear of what could be published (legally being the main issue).

It was a society that was great for people who enjoyed journalism, writing, editorial, and so on. The design and print was always outsourced for professional reasons, to ensure timelines and commitments were met. A lot of the ground work is done and there is a huge interest with local businesses to advertise within.

So if someone wants to get the society back up and give it another go, there are a number of former committee / society members back in the college this year who could give the run down of what happened that shouldn't have and where we are at now with it. There were discussions on getting it back up and running between myself and Clubs & Socs but due to lack of commitment from society members at the time, I stepped down with the hope sometime in the future someone would get it back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

how is it decided who plays on the team ??

Hi John, it will depend entirely on how many people are interested and committed. Last year we had trials and ended up entering 2 teams into the competitions. Two teams will be the plan again this year so we may introduce a ladder system to decide the pecking order. Hope that helps. Andy.
    how is it decided who plays on the team ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement