Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for live out mature au pair in Dublin

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Whats a reasonable pay level for a mature au pair who will be coming by to mind 2 toddlers 2 full days a week in dublin?

It is for a bi-lingual family and this person is fluent in both languages. The au pair has a small amount of experience minding children.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is a really hard one.

Probably about 100 euro a week.

"What Is The Average Salary Of An Au Pair
    A part time (4 hours per day) live in au pair can expect a salary of around €100. A full time, live in au pair, working eight hours per day, can expect a salary of about €200. If the au pair is live out an extra €50 would be added onto each of those wages."
    aupairireland.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

The term 'au pair' gets bandied about a bit in my opinion. If this is a person with full responsibility for the children, in your absence, for 2 full days a week then he /she is a childminder. I pay the minimum wage for this service. The person has to pay rent, utility bills and food bills - which an au pair would not have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mkhall

An au pair is someone who lives in, does about 25-35 hrs p/w and is usually studying language courses, etc. If they are receiving full board/food (live in) the standard salary is referred to as pocket money and can be anywhere from 100-200 pw depending on hours/duties. Ive noticed many people using the term live out au pair but someone who lives out and comes into your home to mind your children is generally referred to as a nanny or childminder. In this case you are considered their employer and must pay prsi, minimum wage, holidays, etc. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

yoda2001 wrote: »
    The term 'au pair' gets bandied about a bit in my opinion. If this is a person with full responsibility for the children, in your absence, for 2 full days a week then he /she is a childminder. I pay the minimum wage for this service. The person has to pay rent, utility bills and food bills - which an au pair would not have to pay.

I agree. Some people (NOT saying you do, OP!) just want cheap childcare. An au pair is not supposed to just be a childminder, they are supposed to become part of the family and be paid pocket money because all their living expenses (eg heat, light, food etc) are paid for as part of living with a family. A 'live out au pair' is just a title for a childminder paid **** wages.

Advertisement