Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop charger

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I bought a universal laptop charger at the weekend for my Dell laptop it will not charge the battery at all, it says plugged in, not charging 0% on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. the laptop is only 1 year old and i dropped the original charger by accident and it broke so needed a new one, so the laptop is in perfect condition and the battery is perfect too. I have tried my brothers dell charger a day ago battery charges as normal, back to the new charger and it only powers the laptop NOT charges it.

Am i entitled to a full refund for this product, replacement will be the same rubbish, it is a universal laptop charger that does not charge my laptop only powers it, as soon as i plug out the charger laptop is immediately dead.

look forward to your comments

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

I bought a universal laptop charger at the weekend for my Dell laptop it will not charge the battery at all, it says plugged in, not charging 0% on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. the laptop is only 1 year old and i dropped the original charger by accident and it broke so needed a new one, so the laptop is in perfect condition and the battery is perfect too. I have tried my brothers dell charger a day ago battery charges as normal, back to the new charger and it only powers the laptop NOT charges it.

Am i entitled to a full refund for this product, replacement will be the same rubbish, it is a universal laptop charger that does not charge my laptop only powers it, as soon as i plug out the charger laptop is immediately dead.

look forward to your comments

thanks in advance.

Does the 'universal' charger have a voltage setting? If the voltage isn't exactly what the laptop was designed to take, the laptop's defence mechanism (paraphrasing) will kick in and protect it form exploding into millions of tiny pieces :P Read the voltage off your old broken charger or on the laptops batter and make sure it correspond to the voltage setting on the new charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Do you get an adapter warning when you boot the Dell?

I have some bad experiences with Dell laptops and chargers which were not the original (even other Dell PSUs with exactly the same specs). Some throttle the CPU for good, some don't charge the battery. A nasty little trick in the BIOS Dell is playing if you don't buy from them, of course, it's only for "your own good" to protect the laptop and the battery from harm. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »

I have some bad experiences with Dell laptops and chargers which were not the original (even other Dell PSUs with exactly the same specs). Some throttle the CPU for good, some don't charge the battery. A nasty little trick in the BIOS Dell is playing if you don't buy from them, of course, it's only for "your own good" to protect the laptop and the battery from harm. ;)

My m8 had this issue when he upgraded his Dell XPS bios it wouldn't allow him use a non original charger. Downgrading the bios sorted it but certainly there is a risk involved with doing so :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

jos360 wrote: »
    Does the 'universal' charger have a voltage setting? If the voltage isn't exactly what the laptop was designed to take, the laptop's defence mechanism (paraphrasing) will kick in and protect it form exploding into millions of tiny pieces :P Read the voltage off your old broken charger or on the laptops batter and make sure it correspond to the voltage setting on the new charger.

Battery is 90W or 19.5 V the 19.5V tip bit will not work at all on my laptop, the 18.5 V tip is the only tip bit that i am getting any response from, since this is lower than what is required, I have stopped using it, i am not good at computers so do not understand the BIOS system, the leaflet says nothing about a reboot or anything.

on the back of packaging it says it won't let you down......haha ROFL:D

AM i entitled to a full refund and ring dell and buy their one, the battery must be plugged in at all times...... some charger

i got a warning it cannot determine the ac power source, plug in the battery, even though the new charger is plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

i got a warning it cannot determine the ac power source, plug in the battery, even though the new charger is plugged in.

Yep... you'll end up buying an original Dell replacement. Don't blame it on the Universal Power Supply, they usually work fine. That's Dell for you.

Yep... you'll end up buying an original Dell replacement. Don't blame it on the Universal Power Supply, they usually work fine. That's Dell for you.

I asked the sales person, i need a dell 90W charger for my laptop they gave me this universal one, so i am entitled to a refund off the shop, yes or no , he never told me it would not work on a dell, tried it on 3 other dells today does not work at all, only the lower voltage one gives a response but does not charge and the laptop is constantly reminding me it is running out of a power.

Am i entitled to a full refund, the sales person knew what i wanted and sold me this anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I have some bad experiences with Dell laptops and chargers which were not the original (even other Dell PSUs with exactly the same specs). Some throttle the CPU for good, some don't charge the battery.

+1

I had the same experience with cheap Chinese clones of the charger.
    It said the CPU would operate at 50% or so.
    Then another one I got did work... only when I matched up the part numbers exactly, as opposed to the charger "model family".

But, only last month I got a replacement charger for my Dell Inspiron 1720 from http://www.laptopchargers.ie.

I've no connection with them, pardon the pun, but the charger they sent worked straight away, no problems. Shipping from Cork with delivery tracking too.

Not sure if the mods allow recommendations, I'm not associated with them at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

+1

I had the same experience with cheap Chinese clones of the charger.
    It said the CPU would operate at 50% or so.
    Then another one I got did work... only when I matched up the part numbers exactly, as opposed to the charger "model family".

But, only last month I got a replacement charger for my Dell Inspiron 1720 from http://www.laptopchargers.ie.

I've no connection with them, pardon the pun, but the charger they sent worked straight away, no problems. Shipping from Cork with delivery tracking too.

Not sure if the mods allow recommendations, I'm not associated with them at all.

Reccomendations are fine :) . Shilling aint ;)

Nick

Problem solved the head tip was faulty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Firblog

+1

-1 on laptopchargers.ie... phone them first to make sure they have it in stock, otherwise you could be waiting a weeks/months with no word if they're shipping the bloody thing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 tmcsweeny

Hi, I know this is an old topic but I thought id post to help other people that might be experiencing the same issue.

There is 2 things that can cause this issue.

1. Your laptop battery is dead and you need a new one. The laptop is running on mains power only because the battery can no longer hold a charge.

2.Original Dell laptop chargers have a unit in them that communicates with the laptop to say that it is the correct charger for that laptop. Most replacement chargers on the market don't have this capability. I had this same issue with mine. I did however find a low cost replacement charger that does have this unit in it and it worked perfectly. Here's the link to where I got it.

SNIP

I contacted them and they were very helpful.They asked me to try someone else original charger to rule out the battery issue and I did. In my case the battery wasn't the issue, it was the incompatible charger. I gave them the model of the laptop I had and they found me the correct charger i needed and I had it within 2 days and all was good again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Wow... isn't that a mad coincidence, that your first post recommends a website that was only registered on January 27, 2014.

Advertisement