Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortening Barrel on Tikka Tactical - best length?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a Tikka Tactical in .223 with a 24" barrel and with an ASE UTRA Jet-z mod on it and its a bit too long and heavy to be honest.

Currently thinking of cutting 4-5 inches off the barrel and getting it re threaded by a gun smith.

What would be the maximum I could cut off before I would end up losing on ballistics ( Muzzle velocity, energy, etc)

It is hardly used but ocassionally I shoot it at 300m but dont want to damage it so all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

This might be of some interest to you:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74785527

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

dev110 wrote: »
    This might be of some interest to you:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74785527

Thanks Dev110, great read and from reading it, it looks like 20 inch would be the ideal based on the length of barrel needed to stabilize the rounds. I shoot 75gr match rounds ocassionally so would like to stabilze those and 55gr ballistic tips.

I have only about 60-70 rounds through it so maybe I might see if I can get a swap for a shorter barreled rifle in the same calibre.

Its just too long for me at present and its a shame to have it sitting in the cabinet all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't forget that you can't cut it down past 50cm for legal reasons, whatever about the accuracy...

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't forget that you can't cut it down past 50cm for legal reasons, whatever about the accuracy...

Thanks Sparks, I didnt know that at all.

Appreciate the info, a swap is looking more appealing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Why not ring Fergal white at Ireland custom rifle,
    Surely he would know best and he does a first class job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a Tikka Tactical in .223 with a 24" barrel and with an ASE UTRA Jet-z mod on it and its a bit too long and heavy to be honest.

Currently thinking of cutting 4-5 inches off the barrel and getting it re threaded by a gun smith.

What would be the maximum I could cut off before I would end up losing on ballistics ( Muzzle velocity, energy, etc)

It is hardly used but ocassionally I shoot it at 300m but dont want to damage it so all advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Personally 20 inch and no less. 24 inch is mainly used on .220 and .22-250's. You might loose a little velocity but you won't notice that really until its reach's 300+yards. You might notice a little more muzzle flash at night if you don't have a mod. Thats my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Remember, please, that 50cm is actually LESS than 20", and that in law, 'slightly shorter than' = 'shorter than' - there are no degrees of less than.

Successful prosecutions have been, and will continue to be, brought against interpretations of the legal requirements, rather than strict adherence to them.

tac

4200fps wrote: »
    Personally 20 inch and no less. 24 inch is mainly used on .220 and .22-250's. You might loose a little velocity but you won't notice that really until its reach's 300+yards. You might notice a little more muzzle flash at night if you don't have a mod. Thats my opinion

Thanks 4200fps, I have a mod which is adding a lot to the lenght due to the flared barrel end on the tikka tac. In retrospect, I should have gone for the 20 inch but the 24 was in stock :)
    tac foley wrote: »
    Remember, please, that 50cm is actually LESS than 20", and that in law, 'slightly shorter than' = 'shorter than' - there are no degrees of less than.

Successful prosecutions have been, and will continue to be, brought against interpretations of the legal requirements, rather than strict adherence to them.

tac

Thanks tac,

50cm is 19.68 inches and you are right, the law is the law and I certainly wont break it. I wasnt aware of the the 50cm law until sparks pointed it out.

Years of working for a US based company and having every plan and design emailed back to me converted from metric to imperial, kept me very versed in the conversion multipliers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I went for 20 inch and its the business, Its very easy to swing in confined areas and accuracy is 100%. It will look the part with mod fitted when you get it done

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

tac foley wrote: »

tac

What about 16inch barrels sold as stock on CZ's and the like..

And 13inch comp barrels on 10/22's or is that a grey area..

'hdz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

hedzball wrote: »

And 13inch comp barrels on 10/22's or is that a grey area..

It's illegal to 'shorten' the barrel below 50 cm so a 16" CZ should be fine because you're buying it off the shelf like that.

Swapping the barrel in a 10/22 is a different story, if it's bought as an 18.5" and you swap it for a 13" or such you are technically shortening the 'barrel length' of the rifle but not actually shortening a specific barrel if that makes sense...the act forbids shortening it but not swapping it...confusing myself here:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

hedzball wrote: »
    C'mon hedz, we've done this a dozen times now, and while it's a stupid law, it's not the hardest thing to remember out of the Act.
    • Shortening an existing barrel below 50cm: Illegal. No ifs, ands or buts. The sole exception is if it's done by an RFD who immediately builds the barrel back up past 50cm as part of a repair. I've yet to hear how that can be done.
    • Buying a rifle with a sub-50cm barrel: Grey area. Nobody knows if it's legal or not. Needs a court case or a redraft of legislation to sort out.
    • Replacement barrels; Nobody's sure but it's very likely that it counts as shortening an existing barrel because your licence was granted for a longer barrelled rifle.
    • Too Long; Didn't Read summary version: Just don't get a barrel below 50cm. Avoid potential hassle.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Just don't get a barrel below 50cm. Avoid potential hassle.

Or do, if you're willing to be the test case.

Like many of Ireland's firearms laws, there are three broad schools of thought:
    1. Stay within the letter of the law. It's often inconvenient, but you know you're safe. This is the approach I take and it's the approach Sparks is advocating above.
    2. Stay within the spirit of the law. So long as you don't take the piss and so long as you don't fail the "I don't like the look of that" test you'll probably be fine. You run a small chance of ending up on the wrong side of the law with court costs, fines or prison but you're willing to take a chance. Shooting is a big enough part of my life that I'm not willing to gamble like this, but some folks are.
    3. Ignore the law. The "ah, sure fuck it, it'll be grand" school of thought. It's a stupid approach used by stupid people. Some of them get away with it some of the time but few of them get away with it forever.

I see cutting down a barrel to less than 50cm as being squarely in scenario #3 above. Swapping a >50cm barrel to a <50cm barrel I see as belonging to camp #2. The Gardai will probably look on it as OK but you run a small risk of being hauled over the coals for it if you meet the wrong Garda on the wrong day. I wouldn't take that risk personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

In the barrel replacement scenario, you'd have to determine whether in the spirit of the law, the critical issue is cutting the barrel or having a short barrel. In my mind, it's definitely the latter, placing a short replacement barrel squarely in scenario 3 of Conor's list, but that's for you to decide, and it's your freedom and money on the line if you want to be the test case.

Advertisement