Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going gluten free

• 21-08-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm looking into putting OH on a gluten free diet. He's got a rake of food allergies, and eczema which he can't stop scratching. I've heard that an intolerance to either lactose or gluten can worsen eczema so I've decided to switch to lactose free milk and gluten free everything else as much as possible.

He is allergic to bananas, stone fruits, peas (but not beans), nuts of all kinds, eggs, and he just plain doesn't like most of other vegetables, so feeding him is always a challenge. I'm not too worried about cooking at home because I know you can get gluten free pasta etc, it's his lunches I'm worried about. I know he usually gets a roll in Spar for lunch and I'm worried about being able to fill him up when his diet is so restricted. I'm going to have to discuss the matter of seeds and various grains with him.

Long story short I'm looking for filling, gluten free lunch ideas that could be easily adapted for someone with multiple food allergies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

first, try cutting back on wheat in the diet
    this often works for a lot of people instead of going full-on for gluten free

and, gluten free? a roll in spar for lunch? sure there could be anything in that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Is this your partner or your child?

Re: Lunch times. These will solve all your issues.

medium-snap-lock-lunchboxes1.jpg

Does he have access to a microwave in work? If so, all and any meals are pretty much available to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Tesco are now stocking a good range of Gluten Free stuff, he could make up his own gluten free roll fillings if its what he normally goes for.

RTE website have some gluten free recipes this week courtesy of Kelkin, could get you started

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/category/kelkin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is this your partner or your child?
    My partner. He knows nothing about food or cooking, unfortunately. The idea is that I can work out some recipes and show him how to do it.
    Re: Lunch times. These will solve all your issues.

medium-snap-lock-lunchboxes1.jpg

Does he have access to a microwave in work? If so, all and any meals are pretty much available to him.
    We have plenty of those alright!

There's no microwave at work, unfortunately, just a kettle. No fridge either.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    My partner. He knows nothing about food or cooking, unfortunately. The idea is that I can work out some recipes and show him how to do it.

We have plenty of those alright!

There's no microwave at work, unfortunately, just a kettle. No fridge either.

Look at the Paleo/Primal thread. No grains so anything there would be suitable for him to eat.

I have looked into it, but the fact that he is allergic to all nuts, many fruits, and hates a most of the veg that he's not allergic to I fear he'd be switching to pretty much an all meat diet.

I have looked into it, but the fact that he is allergic to all nuts, many fruits, and hates a most of the veg that he's not allergic to I fear he'd be switching to pretty much an all meat diet.

When presented with two choices.

One: To try new foods, give them actual chances, and finding out ways that he likes to eat them.
    The Second: Eating junk and effectively poison (considering his intolerances).

He should hopefully be wise enough to realise that he's just going to have to get adventurous.

Fwiw, I believe that there's so many different types of vegetables available to choose from that the catch all of "I don't like vegetables" doesn't hold with me. Consistency, texture, flavour etc varies across even the same vegetable let alone the entire universe of them!

I've not been a healthy eater all my life, about 20 months ago I committed to trying new things, and trying to eat better. It's a habit thing for the most part. Afraid you're going to require him to grow up and expand his own horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

OP personally Id think if it's not fully his idea and more yours to go gluten free, then you'd be better to ease him into healthy eating with going gluten free first. Once he starts realising it's doable and not so hard he'll probably starting taking more of an interest himself and be more amenable to stone age eating etc. There's a good sticky thread on gluten free foods in this forum. It's worth a look for some food substitution ideas. Gluten free eating isn't hard once you find the products that you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd recommend going wheat-free as opposed to gluten-free. I had been tested extensively for coeliac disease and came back negative. But I do have a clear issue with wheat and most of my problems have been resolved by removing wheat from my diet.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

dudara wrote: »
    I'd recommend going wheat-free as opposed to gluten-free. I had been tested extensively for coeliac disease and came back negative. But I do have a clear issue with wheat and most of my problems have been resolved by removing wheat from my diet.

Although, non-coeliac gluten sensitivity is now starting to be discovered as a real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Maybe some of the products listed on this blog might be useful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

He is allergic to bananas, stone fruits, peas (but not beans), nuts of all kinds, eggs, and he just plain doesn't like most of other vegetables, so feeding him is always a challenge.

How have these allergies been established? Allergies are responses to food proteins, bananas and other fruits have minimal amounts of protein (and I've never heard of allergies to these)

Although, non-coeliac gluten sensitivity is now starting to be discovered as a real thing.

Can you explain this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Can you explain this please?

Exactly what it what it says on the tin
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22825366

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

This thread stickied on top of the forum is very helpful http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056084433

I've been gluten free now for a year and it has made a huge difference, feel normal instead of sick all the time. It takes getting used to - but there's no way I would go back. For lunch I have soup, salads, baked potatoes, sushi, corn pasta salads, corn cakes with cheese/salad - there is no real reason why you can't eat well - just avoid processed foods, plan and prepare in advance.

Cider/wine/whiskey is now my tipple of choice as I can't have the usual beers - but you get used to it. He might have a bigger issue with that than his lunchtime roll!!

Thanks for all the advice, folks, you've given me some very good ideas.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    How have these allergies been established? Allergies are responses to food proteins, bananas and other fruits have minimal amounts of protein (and I've never heard of allergies to these)
    Usually by itching in his lips and mouths, often followed by nausea, and sometimes vomiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

dudara wrote: »

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me. All my issues disappeared after removing wheat, and I had been tested negatively for coeliac. I still sneak the odd wheat product in when I fancy it / and I know I don't have a big day the following day, but at 90% wheat free without too much hassle cause, things are a lot better.

Advertisement