Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

• 21-08-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Anyone been on to Sky to enquire about this yet, and if so, have you heard anything back from them re. timeframes/speeds/prices etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Will be the same as whatever speeds you can get from Eircom currently as Sky will just be re-selling their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

:( My search for a decent broadband service continues so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Will be the same as whatever speeds you can get from Eircom currently as Sky will just be re-selling their service.

They will also use BTs LLU platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Only 88 exchanges nationwide are covered by LLU though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fishfortwo

I just spoke to someone who said they are doing TV phone and BB for 58 per month. The phone sounds good free evening and weekends to landlines and mobiles. Was going to be coming sept, much sooner than the Jan I had heard previously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

fishfortwo wrote: »
    I just spoke to someone who said they are doing TV phone and BB for 58 per month. The phone sounds good free evening and weekends to landlines and mobiles. Was going to be coming sept, much sooner than the Jan I had heard previously.

Unless this person was god and was going to be snapping their fingers and instantly setting up all the systems processes etc this was never ever going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fishfortwo

Unless this person was god and was going to be snapping their fingers and instantly setting up all the systems processes etc this was never ever going to happen.

True, more than prob a door to door sales person blowing a load of smoke to get the sale from him, unless he is in some sort of early trial. The price point is quite nice and the prospect of the phone package does sound rather good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

fishfortwo wrote: »
    True, more than prob a door to door sales person blowing a load of smoke to get the sale from him, unless he is in some sort of early trial. The price point is quite nice and the prospect of the phone package does sound rather good.

Early trials.. not just yet :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Only 88 exchanges nationwide are covered by LLU though.

A bit more although, as far as I know, some of those exchanges at maximum capacity.

Still, it is not a bad number. That's around 150.000 potential customers give or take. At the moment BT probably has around 100.000 customers (business and residential) connected to LLU exchanges (BT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

A Sky rep just called this evening. He said sky bb and phone coming in September and current sky tv customers will have complimentary bb and phone for 3 months....

still couldn't give me the prices, but said they were cheaper than UPC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jocelynel wrote: »

And much slower then UPC too.

I also fully expect that UPC will match and better any prices offered by Sky.

UPC are really kicking butt at the moment. Their broadband is vastly superior to anything Eircom/Sky can or will offer. They have vastly improved their TV offering over the last year, matching Sky now. They have vastly outpaced Sky with their Video On Demand service and their Horizon box should be out soon that will probably be far more advanced then the Sky box.

Soon it looks like UPC will not only have an excellent broadband products, but also the best TV product. No wonder Sky is panicking and rushing to introduce broadband as quickly as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A Sky rep just called this evening. He said sky bb and phone coming in September and current sky tv customers will have complimentary bb and phone for 3 months....

Of course it'll be cheaper than UPC ....it'll be muck compared to UPC.

Of course it'll be cheaper than UPC ....it'll be muck compared to UPC.

i left UPC earlier this year because our service kept going down approx. 4 times a week and sometimes for a couple of hours at a time. i can't wait to try the sky 3 in one package!

Complete rubbish...

Complete rubbish...

yep! that's what i thought....time will tell eh! they said there is a massive call center about to open to take the volume of phone calls....

yep! that's what i thought....time will tell eh! they said there is a massive call center about to open to take the volume of phone calls....

This is not a secret and neither is BB, however the rubbish being spouted about times and offers is just crazy!

This is not a secret and neither is BB, however the rubbish being spouted about times and offers is just crazy!

i registered on their website last night for bb and phone....just got a message back to say we will be in touch shortly. i can't find anything on the sky website about prices...

i registered on their website last night for bb and phone....just got a message back to say we will be in touch shortly. i can't find anything on the sky website about prices...

You wont, it will be sometime before pricing info will be released

well....i was in blanchardstown today and had a chat with the sky rep there. he told me i was misinformed by whoever that sky rep was. he said these sky reps calling door to door do not work directly for sky. even the staff dont know yet what the prices will be, they will find out perhaps 1-2 weeks before they appear on the website. they are still only at recruitment stage for their call center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

well....i was in blanchardstown today and had a chat with the sky rep there. he told me i was misinformed by whoever that sky rep was. he said these sky reps calling door to door do not work directly for sky. even the staff dont know yet what the prices will be, they will find out perhaps 1-2 weeks before they appear on the website. they are still only at recruitment stage for their call center.

It's all snake oil at this stage so the guy is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Copped this page on the Sky website this morning.
    We're excited to announce that we will be launching Sky Broadband and Sky Talk, including line rental, in Ireland later this year. Just like in the UK, we promise to lead on quality, value and customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

Was hoping the Broadband service from Sky was going to be excellent, but judging by posters on this thread it appears that won't be the case :-( Although, living close to city centre and the fact I only use for browsing, would still prob make sense to get the 3 in 1 package. Can't be all that bad?!!!

Footy101 wrote: »
    Was hoping the Broadband service from Sky was going to be excellent, but judging by posters on this thread it appears that won't be the case :-( Although, living close to city centre and the fact I only use for browsing, would still prob make sense to get the 3 in 1 package. Can't be all that bad?!!!

well i can't wait to give sky a chance....for me it can't be any worse than upc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

well i can't wait to give sky a chance....for me it can't be any worse than upc!

sure an "up to" 8Mbs or 24mbs will be easily as good as 100Mbs right?

bealtine wrote: »

my issue is that upc couldn't get my speed past 5mbs PLUS the service went down every fews days. very annoying if your watching your favourite tv show or having a chat on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭tlaavtech

Originally Posted by bealtine

Don't forget those of us that don't live in a cabled area who are paying Sky and a telephone provider. If there is a cost saving and unlimited D/L it is a no brainer of a decision.

We don't get the option of your wonderful broadband (but we also don't get saddled with the dubious picture quality :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Any update on launch date and prices for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Anyone else sign up for the beta trial thingy? Signed up week ago heard noting as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bit of a bump.

Was hoping there would be a thread about this.

I think it must be coming soon enough, as strangely I had VF on to me today, calling from a private number (when will companies realise, the vast majority of us hate taking calls from a PN? :mad:)

Anyway, they wanted to reward me for being a loyal customer, by getting me to renew my contract (just out of the blue like), strange thing was, they werent actually offering me anything to stay (what reward?)

I told the guy calling that I was aware sky would be offering bb in Ireland soon, and although I was happy enough with VF (which I am in farness) I'd be waiting to see what Sky would have to offer when they roll it out.

The VF rep didnt sound at all surprised tbh.

FWIW, I do not have UPC in my area, and currently pay sky 45 a month and VF 40 a month (phone and internet)

• Advertisement

my year is up with vodafone next week....so i can expect a call from them so

i signed up weeks ago on the sky website to express my interest, but so far no contact from sky...i imagine it won't be long before we hear something...

Advertisement