Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jocelynel wrote: »
    my year is up with vodafone next week....so i can expect a call from them so

i signed up weeks ago on the sky website to express my interest, but so far no contact from sky...i imagine it won't be long before we hear something...

Snap, mine expires next week.

Also registered with sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

+ 1 here... another Vodafone customer here waiting for the Sky offer.

I'd say that Vodafone could take a real hit.

Although, can't say I feel too sorry for them as they recently screwed me by selling me a defective phone and refusing to fix it so I have to go to the Small Claims Court.

Hurry up Sky so I can get rid of bloody Vodafone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

When i heard Sky where bring out BB as well i was 100% going to move from UPC to them... Now that i read they are going to use Eircom lines there is no chance of me moving.

If you have UPC broadband ( and getting spends of 10mb+ ) there is no chance you'd move to Eircom,

I know Sky are losing business to UPC as UPC has TV and fast BB, ( I tell the sales person this every time they call to my door ) But Sky thinking people will move to Sky if they have ****ty Eircom internet to sell they are wrong. I'm sure they will get a few people signing up that don't know what they are getting.

Does Sky have any other options / way to supply BB to Irish customers ? maybe Satellite BB ? not sure of the cost of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

NeVeR wrote: »

Does Sky have any other options / way to supply BB to Irish customers ? maybe Satellite BB ? not sure of the cost of it.

Satellite can never be broadband, contrary to what the satellite pimpers say, so the answer to your question is no Sky have no other options except to use BT's lines and possibly eircom where BT do not reach as BT is only in 80 or so exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

bealtine wrote: »
    Satellite can never be broadband, contrary to what the satellite pimpers say, so the answer to your question is no Sky have no other options except to use BT's lines and possibly eircom where BT do not reach as BT is only in 80 or so exchanges.

In lay mans terms please.

If, what I'm currently on with vf and sky (85 p/m) the only benefit I'd see by changing to sky for everything would be a possible price reduction?

Correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Ghandee wrote: »

If, what I'm currently on with vf and sky (85 p/m) the only benefit I'd see by changing to sky for everything would be a possible price reduction?

Correct?

The deal sky signed was with BT for BT to provide LLU services for sky broadband. That's all we really know for sure.

Below is an "educated" guess:

Where BT do not provide service eircom would then provide services via bitstream (aka eircom rent the whole service (broadband and line) to the main retailer, in this case to sky via BT)

Line rental prices are set by the regulator and eircom also set the price of broadband for bitstream.

So will there be a price reduction for sky customers? Seems unlikely to me but it might reduce by a few euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ghandee wrote: »

Correct?

And since they will be pushing Sky Anytime also - probably no download limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Thank you for registeringyour interest in Sky's Broadband and Talk services in Ireland.

We're busy working on making sure we can offer you a great value broadbandservice backed up with the levels of customer service you'd expect from Sky.

In the coming weeks we will keep you updated by email on the timings andavailability of the Broadband and Talk services in your area, and we'll makesure that you are among the first to hear about our pricing and package optionsas soon as they are announced.

Best regards,

The Sky Ireland Team

I got this today. VF rang me yesterday trying to 'save me money', but locking me into an 18 month contract. Told them no way. I'll be going to Sky asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Got that email too.

As much as I'd like UPC, I don't think it is available in my area and we have Sky TV so we wouldn't get a bundled price from UPC even if it was. I believe we are in a BT LLU area as my current Vodafone package is 20mb.

So it will really be a no brainer to move to Sky assuming that their bundles are going to be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭tlaavtech

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you can get Eircom you can get Vodafone/Digiweb/Smart/Imagine/Sky and any other bitstream resellers as they use Eircom lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I registered my interest a couple of months ago, and got the
    We're busy working on making sure we can offer you a great value broadband service backed up with the levels of customer service you'd expect from Sky.

In the coming weeks we will keep you updated by email on the timings and availability of the Broadband and Talk services in your area, and we'll make sure that you are among the first to hear about our pricing and package options as soon as they are announced.

mail just now.

Also got the call from a vodafone rep on wednesday.

My vodafone contract runs out at the start of January 2013.

I have a basic sky package (€20 something /month) and my vodafone bills aren't large either - (cheapest bill in the last 12 months was €57, most expensive was €76 )- and my data usage is minimal - 2.76 GB from Sept. 1st to Sept. 27th.

If Sky come in cheaper than 85/90 per month I'll be switching.

Brian

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes Sky will be using the same network and technology as Vodafone (the BT LLU network + probably Eircom bitstream everywhere else) so you won't see any speed improvement over your current Eircom or Vodafone service.

However you may see a small price reduction if you bundle both Sky TV and broadband together. No confirmation of this yet, but it makes sense, but we will just have to wait and see.

UPC service (where available) will continue to be much better and faster then anything Eircom/Vodafone/Sky can offer.

In the long term Sky might also use the new ESB fibre to the home network and Eircoms new FTTC/VDSL2+ network, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that, specially not if you can get UPC today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Is there a list anywhere of the exchanges where BT have a presence so won't need the same level of service from Eircom?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Will we have to show our "property tax reciept" before we can get BB installed.:D

I'll get my coat.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Jocelynel

well...i got my bb and talk package from sky this week...everything up and running perfectly so far. they told me my line was capable of 12mb speed, currently getting 10.4 - 10.6. i'm delighted as we have only ever had 6mb to date

Advertisement