Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk going off before date.

Options
  • 21-08-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

This is becoming an increasingly annoying occurrence in my house. This morning i heated the milk for breakfast and open microwave to find a glass of congealed goo there. Same often happens when put into coffee etc.

Date on milk this morning was 25/08 bought and opened Sunday. I just find the rate this is happening at to be shocking.

Can it be brought back to store or should i just let it pass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Check your fridge, also possibly the fridge where you buy milk. Do you always buy in the same shop? Try a change.

I never have a problem with milk - even beyond use by date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Shop probably had the milk at ambient temp. too long before placing it in the fridge.

I'd agree with the above. Change the shop and see if it's still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

happening with my milk also, if its let out of fridge at all it goes off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Could be your fridge too - not cold enough, or needs to be cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Or buy UHT milk.

However..................:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Could be a lot to do with the weather, warm humid temperatures increase the cell count in milk and diary products as well and fresh bread will go moldy quicker turn your fridge up one notch and never leave fresh products out of the fridge for more than 20 mins as this will double the cell count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I work for a large supermarket chain and weve had alot of complaints about milk going off lately , so much so weve been told to make sure its not left out of fridge for a second ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its the time of year I am afraid.

I see it every year. Somewhere in the chain, farm to dairy, dairy to van, van to shop, shop to house, the milk is warming up. Once bacteria get a chance they will turn the milk.

I get the odd one back and all I can do is apologise and offer a refund/replacement. There is no real way of pinning down where its happening. Could be the shop fridge, van fridge, your fridge, the car, etc etc etc.

Just go back to the shop and politely ask for a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Make sure your fridge temperature is on at at least no. 3 and is not iced up. I find low fat milk goes off very quick compared to full fat. Just take out the amount you need and keep the milk container in the fridge. Haven't had a problem so far just lucky getting it fresh and ausually carry it in a cool bag as boot of my car gets very hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

This happened me 2 years ago - the fridge was fine, the milk was well in date, but was going off within 24 hours of opening it. I contacted the company who was "producing" it and asked them about it, and they suggested that it wasn't being stored at the correct temperature in the shop, and as a goodwill gesture they sent out some vouchers to reimburse me for the milk I'd 'lost'. I changed shop and it stopped happening, so it is likely that it was either that shop was storing the milk out of the fridge too long after delivery, or their delivery van wasn't kept cool enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It has happened to me too and i get home shopping so the milk is in not out of a fridge for anything like 20 mins. The fridge is on 3. I've started leaving it in the main fridge instead of the door, seems to help. We go through a 2liter a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Its the time of year I am afraid.

I see it every year. Somewhere in the chain, farm to dairy, dairy to van, van to shop, shop to house, the milk is warming up. Once bacteria get a chance they will turn the milk.

I get the odd one back and all I can do is apologise and offer a refund/replacement. There is no real way of pinning down where its happening. Could be the shop fridge, van fridge, your fridge, the car, etc etc etc.

Just go back to the shop and politely ask for a replacement or refund.

This must be it cause fridge is always at max lowest temp of 7 and is cleaned weekly. Tend to buy tesco and aldi own brand and it has been more prevalent about the last 4-6 weeks

racso1975 wrote: »
    This must be it cause fridge is always at max lowest temp of 7 and is cleaned weekly. Tend to buy tesco and aldi own brand and it has been more prevalent about the last 4-6 weeks

Errrr, I think you need to look at that fridge again. A fridge which is set to 7 is not a fridge. It ideally should be 1 - 3 degrees C. 7 is not acceptable.

Errrr, I think you need to look at that fridge again. A fridge which is set to 7 is not a fridge. It ideally should be 1 - 3 degrees C. 7 is not acceptable.

nah it's not degrees just a twisty dial with 0 being off and 7 coldest.

racso1975 wrote: »
    nah it's not degrees just a twisty dial with 0 being off and 7 coldest.

Oh yeah yeah, sorry, I automatically think of commerical fridges.

Does the food in your fridge actually feel cold to the touch?

Oh yeah rest of the food is fine. Any cans come out cold as do other drinks etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Milk going off this time of year is quite common. Average room temps are up in every household during the summer and even leaving your milk out for 20mins can speed up its demise. We use a lot of milk in the family home and if you leave the carton out any longer than 10mins on the counter a few times a day it goes off long before the date its supposed to. where as in the Autumn winter and spring you get away with it the room temp these days is a lot higher. When making tea during the summer we leave the milk in the fridge and take it in and out straight away and it stays grand.

Advertisement