Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sandwich in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Slunk wrote: »
    Opposite the welcome inn.

Fab... thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Not open today just in case you were planning a visit.....from a disappointed sandwich lover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

macgabhs wrote: »
    Not open today just in case you were planning a visit.....from a disappointed sandwich lover

Ditto for The Ugly Duckling. I was looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Went to the Ugly Duckling yesterday for lunch. Shared a Pittsburgh and Po'boy. The Pittsburgh was a serious sandwich - chips, coleslaw, pulled pork and barbecue sauce. Tasty but I'm not biggest BBQ sauce fan. The Shrimp Po'boy was nearly perfect although the Cajun spices in the mayo disappointed me as everything else about it was quite authentic.

All in all, a very good sandwich experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Had the Po Boy today in the Ugly Duckling. Very dissapointing experience all round.

The roll took 25 minutes to appear as the place was so unorganised. For a roll that consisted of Spicy Mayo, lettuce, Tomoto & 5 deep fried shrimp this is some achievement. People were walking away because the wait was so long.

The roll was tasty but not much too it and for €7:45 it is over priced.

Will stick to the Pig & Heifer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I'm at the Ugly Duckling waiting for my Monte Cristo.

Opinion to follow!

Update: Sandwich arrived in 10 minutes. Reasonably tasty but I wouldn't travel far just to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cienciano wrote: »
    Paid a visit to the Ugly Duckling in the epicurean food hall today. It's now top of my list for best sandwich in Dublin!
    Had a Po Boy and a Monte Cristo. Both amazing. About 12 sandwiches on the menu, definitely going back to work through the whole menu!

2 Sandwiches:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hootanany wrote: »
    2 Sandwiches:eek:

I did half and half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just had a Bologna & Tomato Soup @ Caffe Italiano in Temple Bar for €6. Incredible value, proper authentic Italian ingredients and the soup was excellent. You know you're in a good place when you hear people coming in speaking Italian.

Definition of hidden gem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

cson wrote: »
    Just had a Bologna & Tomato Soup @ Caffe Italiano in Temple Bar for €6. Incredible value, proper authentic Italian ingredients and the soup was excellent. You know you're in a good place when you hear people coming in speaking Italian.

Definition of hidden gem imo.

They stuck the soup between some bread ?

• Advertisement

They stuck the soup between some bread ?

I know, innovative or what?

Clearly not. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I am pie wrote: »
    Milanesa Cordobesa sandwich or Lomito Completo at Bon Diola, beside the 51 on haddington road.

Beef or Beef Milanesa with varying degrees of egg / cheese and possibly ham.

Sounds both disgusting *and* pretentious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

chopper6 wrote: »

That Lomito Completo is one of the most wonderful sandwiches I've ever eaten.

I think that place might be closed down now, though....?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

chopper6 wrote: »

It's an Argentinian cafe hence the Spanish (what you call pretentious) names. Nothing pretentious about the place at all tbh. Sandwiches are really nice, too.

It's still open afaik. The building is/was for sale but the cafe still going and will remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

kinsy wrote: »
    It's an Argentinian cafe hence the Spanish (what you call pretentious) names. Nothing pretentious about the place at all tbh. Sandwiches are really nice, too.

It's still open afaik. The building is/was for sale but the cafe still going and will remain open.

Bondiola is indeed open.

I know this is the sandwich thread, but if you fancy something sweet after lunch: they have these traditional biscuity things in Bondiola called alfajores - man, they are unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Green Bench on Montague Lane has to have the best sandwiches ive ever had in Dublin. http://greenbenchcafe.com/

I particularly recommend the bbq pulled pork in a wrap. Unfortunately only open during office hours.

Green Bench on Montague Lane has to have the best sandwiches ive ever had in Dublin. http://greenbenchcafe.com/

I particularly recommend the bbq pulled pork in a wrap. Unfortunately only open during office hours.

Some amazing sandwiches in this place. It's definitely up there!

That's obviously the place that has gigantic queues out of it @ lunch time during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

cson wrote: »
    That's obviously the place that has gigantic queues out of it @ lunch time during the week.

Yes thats puts me off sometimes. But it does move pretty quick. Try and get in before 1 or just after 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

+ 1 for Pig & Heifer and Juniors
    Unbelievable sandwiches
    P&H mile high is immense, you'd need nothing else all day..used to go there with a work colleague who's vegetarian and even he was drooling at it..he's moved on to a new job so don't really go now..used to be the friday treat :(
    The haddington road one sounds like somewhere i might have to visit!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Had a breakfast roll from Declan's inBolton St.today,also got a chicken.salad roll for somebody else. Two of the best rolls ever.. All fresh and given the choice of baguette or a large soft roll. I will be back.!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

brinty wrote: »
    + 1 for Pig & Heifer and Juniors
    Unbelievable sandwiches
    P&H mile high is immense, you'd need nothing else all day..used to go there with a work colleague who's vegetarian and even he was drooling at it..he's moved on to a new job so don't really go now..used to be the friday treat :(
    The haddington road one sounds like somewhere i might have to visit!!!
    I'll never understand why people think the pig and heifer is good. I've had spar sandwiches that were better :pac:
    quaalude wrote: »
    Bondiola is indeed open.

I know this is the sandwich thread, but if you fancy something sweet after lunch: they have these traditional biscuity things in Bondiola called alfajores - man, they are unbelievable.
    Get the Milanesa, it's a breaded steak sandwich, it's amazing. Just checked the website, they now do a Milanesa Mexicana (Breaded and fried steak, spicy refied beans, mayo, mozzarella cheese). Sounds even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Ray von wrote: »
    Had the Po Boy today in the Ugly Duckling. Very dissapointing experience all round.

The roll took 25 minutes to appear as the place was so unorganised. For a roll that consisted of Spicy Mayo, lettuce, Tomoto & 5 deep fried shrimp this is some achievement. People were walking away because the wait was so long.

The roll was tasty but not much too it and for €7:45 it is over priced.

Will stick to the Pig & Heifer.
    I was there today for lunch, had the Po Boy, service was quick, the Po Boy it's self was delicious, shrimp was cooked to perfection, juicy not chewy, thought it was a bit pricey, they could have thrown in some chips with the deal. But, I will be back, saw a guy with the Brisket sandwich, another with a burger, both looked interesting...
    Will definitely be back to give these guy's another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The Hungry Pig out in Carrigstown do a class pork bellybuster. The proprieter, Bob is a real nice chap aswell, chirpy and all upbeat ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Had the Po Boy today in the Ugly Duckling, I heard good things and I wasn't let down. Prawns were well cooked and the batter was nicely seasoned, the spicey mayo gave the whole thing a nice kick too. Could of done with another prawn, and its a bit pricey at €7.45 but I'll be getting it again.

I'm not sure if it was the Brisket sandwich, but some guy beside me had a mountainous thing, covered in what looked like bbq sauce, coleslaw and chips with meat underneath, now that certainly did look value for money, serious feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was the Brisket sandwich, but some guy beside me had a mountainous thing, covered in what looked like bbq sauce, coleslaw and chips with meat underneath, now that certainly did look value for money, serious feed!

I think that one is the pulled pork. One of the lads got the brisket and it just looked like a roast beef sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Had a breakfast roll from Declan's inBolton St.today,also got a chicken.salad roll for somebody else. Two of the best rolls ever.. All fresh and given the choice of baguette or a large soft roll. I will be back.!

Is declans still going, is he still alive!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is declans still going, is he still alive!?

Yep still going strong. If he dead he looked right well on it last week. :eek:
    Glad to say Dekky is lookin healthy and well. Havent been in in years,left Dub etc... Still great sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jasus was told years ago they had closed up shop, think a visit may be in order. Used to run out a few minutes early for lunch when in Bolton St to get a roll from there otherwise you would be queing for ages.

Is Declan still nearly the same size of the shop? And calculate in his head how much you owe him?

• Advertisement

was in the green bench again today for the first time in months. Had a wrap with black pepper baked Ham, aioli, in house smoked cheddar, mange tout & carrot & almond & pepper salad, salsa verde, mixed leaves. It was unbelievable and huge. And only 4 euro. Very hard to beat.

Advertisement