Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sandwich in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jojobeans

Jasus was told years ago they had closed up shop, think a visit may be in order. Used to run out a few minutes early for lunch when in Bolton St to get a roll from there otherwise you would be queing for ages.

Is Declan still nearly the same size of the shop? And calculate in his head how much you owe him?

Im addicted to the place the pasta/salad/potato cubes trays are gorgeous and huge like the man himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Had the pulled pork in 147 today. Excellent if a little small and about €1 overpriced. Cafe is really nice, to be honest it's out of place where it is; Parnell St is so gritty compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Had the pittsburgh (pulled pork and fries) sandwich in ugly duckling today. It was fine, not really gonna go outta my way to eat there again

Is Declan still nearly the same size of the shop? And calculate in his head how much you owe him?

Declan is still a large large man, and although the till is there he never seems to actually use it. Still the best breakfest roll i've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had the Brisket in the Ugly Duckling today. The meat was tender, the onion was crispy, the gravy complimented the meat and overall it was pretty tasty. Was waiting ages for it but the guy (I assume the manager) sorted it quickly when I approached him. I will try it again.

1185798_197251657121848_1415719098_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I hate how sandwiches have become all gourmet nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Passenger wrote: »
    Had the Brisket in the Ugly Duckling today. The meat was tender, the onion was crispy, the gravy complimented the meat and overall it was pretty tasty. Was waiting ages for it but the guy (I assume the manager) sorted it quickly when I approached him. I will try it again.

Gravy on a fookin sambo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Passenger wrote: »

Do they not close it for you?

fussyonion wrote: »

You really are a Fussy Onion. :pac:
    Gravy on a fookin sambo :confused:

Well the gravy is coating the meat. It's not poured over the sambo.
    Hootanany wrote: »
    Do they not close it for you?

Nope. Open-faced sand wedge.

66858.jpg

Knife & fork job then its not really a sambo then is it, like a kebab not rolled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

I love it! :)
    Don't get me wrong, I still love regular sambos (loved Boland's off Sth Anne St when I worked near there) but it's nice to have new options, and some of them are really, really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Up until the last few years, the Irish conception of a sandwich has been beyond disgusting. A slice of nasty, over processed "hang" and too much butter w/ mayo on chemically baked "batch" is not good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Just wanted to reignite this great thread, and recommend a great sandwich..

Limetree cafe in kilmainham across from the tourist Gaol serves a great cajun chicken sambo and an even better turkey club sandwich. Both served with a gorgeous fresh side salad and a great coffee/latte for €7.
    Good value, fresh, tasty, bright airy shop and affable staff (free copies of the irish times available for reading too, which is a bonus)..

Highly recommended.
    http://www.limetreecafe.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woa woa woa...... Declan's on Bolton Street is back doing breakfast rolls? When did this happen? I used to go in there when I worked in Parnell Street but I think it was closed for quite some time and alas I don't work on Parnell Street anymore- in fact I moved across the river. That said I'd make a point of popping in there for a roll. They were the best I ever had and he was an absolute gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I went into KC Peaches on Dame st today to try their toasted club sandwich. Regrettably they lost my order and I had to leave for work before they could sort it. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

All these feckers going to the Green Bench Cafe now means I can't get in the door anymore at lunchtime. Happy that their ridiculously good sandwiches are being recognised but it's too much of an ordeal now queuing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Mousewar wrote: »
    All these feckers going to the Green Bench Cafe now means I can't get in the door anymore at lunchtime. Happy that their ridiculously good sandwiches are being recognised but it's too much of an ordeal now queuing up.

They really should open another one in Grand Canal Dock area.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jojobeans

Woa woa woa...... Declan's on Bolton Street is back doing breakfast rolls? When did this happen? I used to go in there when I worked in Parnell Street but I think it was closed for quite some time and alas I don't work on Parnell Street anymore- in fact I moved across the river. That said I'd make a point of popping in there for a roll. They were the best I ever had and he was an absolute gentleman.

Not sure how long hes back but I noticed a few months back and I have to say his rolls are the freshest tastiest going, and for 3euro for a huge
    roll and tea /cappucino/can he will have my business as long as hes open, the line does be out the door at times but its worth it, think il pay a visit tomorow *drools* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

heres a list of the top 60 sandwiches in dublin, should keep everyone busy for a while!

http://www.guides.ie/megabites/best-sandwich-dublin-special-report-caroline-byrne

1. Falafel wraps, Syrian Foods @ Stillorgan Market on Wednesdays
    2. Sandwich deli, The Runner Bean
    3. The brisket roll from Bison Bar
    4. The pulled pork roll from Bison Bar
    5. Roast lamb sandwich from Poulet Bonne Femme
    6. Roast chicken sandwich from Poulet Bonne Femme
    7. Tuna nicoise sandwich from @clodaghmckenna @ArnottsDublin
    8. Pastrami Melt from The Pig and Heifer
    9. Provencal Reuben from The Pig and Heifer
    10. Bacon, roasted pear and Mount Callan cheddar from The Pepper Pot café
    11. Sausage and relish sandwich from The Pepper Pot café
    12. Pulled pork sandwich @brother_hubbard
    13. Sandwich deli, Honest2Goodness Farmers' Market
    14. Roast chicken sandwich @ Simon's Place
    15. The chicken sandwich @ Urbun Café, Cabinteely
    16. chicken, lemon mayo, stuffing and rocket sandwich from Oxmantown
    17. pulled pork sandwich from Oxmantown
    18. 'El Magnifico' @ pablos tortas from Pablo Picante
    19. brisket sandwich @PittBrosBBQ
    20. falafel sandwich @UmiFalafel f
    21. BBQ Pork Shoulder sandwich @ Green Bench Café
    22. sandwich deli, Lilliput Stores
    23. dry-aged Hereford prime steak sandwich @ The Chophouse
    24. Grilled chicken sandwich @JuniorsDeliCafe
    25. The Ruben in Bell & Pot Cafe
    26. sausage bap with caramelised onions@ Cup café
    27. The porchetta in the Fumbally
    28. Po Boy at the Ugly Duckling
    29. Brisket at the Ugly Duckling
    30. Toasted cheese sandwich in the Stag's Head
    31. Corned Beef in a roll @ Juno's café
    32. Beef or breakfast burrito in a bap, from The Fat Peach food truck
    33. Parma ham panini from Fallon & Byrne
    34. Rialto (pastrami) @ Dublin City Food
    35. Muffeletta@ Dublin City Food
    36. Marino (roast beef) @ Dublin City Food
    37. Chicken Tijuana Panini from O'Donovan's on Pearse St
    38. Sandwich deli @ Coppa in the RHA
    39. pulled pork sandwhich in Le Petit Parisien Café
    40. falafel, hummus, spinach, carrot, apple & cranberry slaw sambo @Staplefoods
    41. Poached chicken with harissa mayo at Sip and Slurp
    42. Club sandwich @ Honest to Goodness
    43. smoked chicken with extra bacon from the Cake Café
    44. Hero sandwich @ Junior's
    45. bacon & sausage blaa, Hatch & Sons
    46. Fivemiletown goats cheese and root veg blaa, Hatch & Sons
    47. pulled pork @WhitefriarGrill
    48. Chicken Hero Parm @ Whitefriar Grill
    49. Philly cheesesteak at Damson Diner
    50. pastrami sandwich from Green19
    51. The Club @ Itsabagel
    52. striploin steak sandwich from Urban Picnic
    53. The Steak Sandwich @ Elephant & Castle
    54. KCP Club from KC Peaches
    55. The San Diego from KC Peaches
    56. Warm turkey sandwich from The Lovely Food Co
    57. Baked ham & artichoke @ Mayfield Deli

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

A Top 60 is a little extensive, and there are some ordinary sandwiches in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Probably best to just name an establishment as there's places on that list two and three times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

And some that aren't on the list that should be.
    Very uncomprehensive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Holy Cow and Itsa Reuben from Itsa Bagel need to be there. I know it's popular on boards, but The Pig and Heifer is terrible imho, 3 sandwiches from there, all shíte. Can't see the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Ugly Duckling wins hands down for me.

The brisket is absolutely amazing. The meat is so tender and delicious.

Pang wrote: »
    Ugly Duckling wins hands down for me.

The brisket is absolutely amazing. The meat is so tender and delicious.

I love the Brisket from the Ugly Duckling. I see Bison Bar do a Brisket Roll too and it's higher up the list so now I have to try that. Has anybody tried it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nothing from 147 Deli on the list? Also, it appears Peak Pulled Pork has arrived.

The Rueben in 147 is delish minus the pickle cant believe its not on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't get the hype surrounding Simon's café in George's Arcade.
    I was in there a few times and the place is just musty with rude staff and the most thrown-together sloppy boring sandwich I ever had.
    The chairs are uncomfortable and it just reminds me of a hostel or something.
    Bleurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Robbo wrote: »
    Nothing from 147 Deli on the list? Also, it appears Peak Pulled Pork has arrived.

I've been calling it for months. Once Centra added it to their standard deli offering it jumped the shark.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I had a Club Sandwich in the Brew Dock at BusAras on Friday. Once of the tastiest sandwiches I’ve had in years. It tasted like it was freshly cooked, there were chips inside the sandwich and a fried egg on top. So good I’m going back on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Cienciano wrote: »
    I know it's popular on boards, but The Pig and Heifer is terrible imho, 3 sandwiches from there, all shíte. Can't see the appeal.

The only sandwich I've ever had from there the bread was so dry and stale I was choking on it. Not been tempted to go back for round 2.

Favourite Dublin sandwich at the moment is the Cheese steak from 147. It's sandwich-human mixed marriage material.

Advertisement