Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Ireland

• 21-08-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello all!

My girlfriend is coming over for a few days for the first time at the end of august.

Is there anything going on around the country or does anyone have any ideas on places to visit? Because I've grown up here I can't really think of anything that's actually worthwhile doing :confused:

I'm from the Midlands region.

Thank you!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

God help her! There's loads of things to do in this country, Cliffs of Moher, Dublin - Art Galleries, Museums - people come from all over the world for our scenery, go down to Kerry or West Cork or anywhere.

Might help if you thought of what she likes doing and what you like doing and narrow down the criteria. Actually, just thinking would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

She's already seen Dublin before so she doesn't want to go there! Can you think of any Castles or historic buildings that would be worth while going to see? I was thinking of taking her to see the Aran Islands something like that yano?

Thanks!

God help her! There's loads of things to do in this country, Cliffs of Moher, Dublin - Art Galleries, Museums - people come from all over the world for our scenery, go down to Kerry or West Cork or anywhere.

Might help if you thought of what she likes doing and what you like doing and narrow down the criteria. Actually, just thinking would be a good start.

I had to reply again because your reply really is bugging me. I was actually thinking more in the line of festivals/events but that is neither here nor there.

Is this what i'm bringing here over for? To listen to bitter, cynical responses when asking for some advice or help? I have lived over in England for a few years now and I can tell you that not once have I come across an attitude like this. People have bent over backwards time and time again where they had nothing to gain to make me feel welcome etc.

All I was asking was if anyone knew of anything exciting or different that I could show her.

Not that I feel the need to qualify myself, but for your sake, yes I have thought about it and have plans to visit a couple of old reliables like Galway city and connemeara.

I only hope that she does not encounter this sort of attitude when she visits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the festival season is quickly coming to an end so not a lot to do there.

But on a positive note, all this week there are THOUSANDS of very interesting walks and talks and demonstrations in heritage week.

but the problem is, you havent given an iota of what you like doing.

Are you an active person into outdoor persuits?
    Are you an arty person into theatre and cinema and museums?
    Are you into history and antiquities? (or maybe more importantly your other half)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Take her to Sligo, try Markree castle for rooms. Surf lessons in Strandhill (where rain can't make you any wetter and you dont have to be able to swim (much)), climb Knockrea (I like any mountain you can drive half way up) and have a picnic with the view and Maeves tomb. There is eagles flying, art gallery, pubs, roseboat and parkes castle from Sligo town (they bring you back as well), glencar waterfall, check whats on in the hawkswell, rosses point for golf (rent a boat there for fishing either). The kind of place that could be as popular as Killarney if it bothered. Perhaps join sligo aero club for a lesson. Find Bram Stoker boyhood home, or any link to Spike Milligan. Make pottery, watch sligo rovers play (on a roll atm), walk in hazlewood, slish wood, dooney rock, fair bit more too, I imagine.

• Advertisement

cedan wrote: »
    I had to reply again because your reply really is bugging me. I was actually thinking more in the line of festivals/events but that is neither here nor there.

Is this what i'm bringing here over for? To listen to bitter, cynical responses when asking for some advice or help? I have lived over in England for a few years now and I can tell you that not once have I come across an attitude like this. People have bent over backwards time and time again where they had nothing to gain to make me feel welcome etc.

All I was asking was if anyone knew of anything exciting or different that I could show her.

Not that I feel the need to qualify myself, but for your sake, yes I have thought about it and have plans to visit a couple of old reliables like Galway city and connemeara.

I only hope that she does not encounter this sort of attitude when she visits.
    the festival season is quickly coming to an end so not a lot to do there.

But on a positive note, all this week there are THOUSANDS of very interesting walks and talks and demonstrations in heritage week.

but the problem is, you havent given an iota of what you like doing.

Are you an active person into outdoor persuits?
    Are you an arty person into theatre and cinema and museums?
    Are you into history and antiquities? (or maybe more importantly your other half)

What Munchkin Utd said.

I'll help anyone who is bothering to help themselves as can be seen in numerous reponses on here, you gave such a vague and wide ranging question it was pointless responding in detail. I gave options to try and get you to think about what you wanted.

You gave no indication of what you and your girlfriend like doing, you could be into milking yaks or crocheting, how can I narrow down a response to such a open-ended question?

Your OP states "Is there anything going on around the country?" what sort of a question is that?

What Munchkin Utd said.

I'll help anyone who is bothering to help themselves as can be seen in numerous reponses on here, you gave such a vague and wide ranging question it was pointless responding in detail. I gave options to try and get you to think about what you wanted.

You gave no indication of what you and your girlfriend like doing, you could be into milking yaks or crocheting, how can I narrow down a response to such a open-ended question?

Your OP states "Is there anything going on around the country?" what sort of a question is that?

As my reply above stated, I have organised to do things, but you have seem to have missed that part out.

My girlfriend coming to visit may be quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things but rather than you viewing this as an oppurtunity to promote your own local area or promote some other worthy event, you've decided to to reply to me with a cynical remark. Could you not have just said that I needed to be more specific in what we were interested in? Was there really a need to be condescending?

I didn't particularily want to write a long winded initial post as I believed that I might lose the interest of potential posters. This might not have been the correct way to go about asking my question but i'm not infallible.

Look at what 'Reader1937' has posted. He/she has taken the oppurtunity to promote what sounds like a wonderful area, one that we might end up visiting! Thanks for that Reader1937, sounds like a great place!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Midlands-easy reach:
    Birr Castle,
    Clonmacnoise,
    cruise on Shannon(trips from Athlone)
    Carrick-on Shannon to visit lough Key park and do the tree top walks

Kilkenny-lunch in Kylters-once home of the witch Alice Kytler,tour the castle, visit Kilkenny design, out to Kells (near Kilkenny-not the one in Meath )to see the spectacular ruins of Kells Priory.

Mesth:Newgrange,maybe Hill of Tara-very historic, but "just " a hill
    Dunboyne castle(used in the filming of Braveheart)

Carlow: Rathwood outside Tullow in Carlow-falconry display, lovely for food and shopping if it rains-small choccy factory next door for dessert/buying a bit
    Ducketts Grove ruins outside Carlow- mock Gothic and restored wall garden.
    Browneshill dolmen-largest capstone in Europe.

cedan wrote: »
    As my reply above stated, I have organised to do things, but you have seem to have missed that part out.

Maybe I missed that part because you never stated it!

If everyone just raved about how brilliant their local area is how exactly would that help you, given the complete lack of detail you provided as to what you're interested in doing. I'm not going to write reams about Dublin until someone bothers coming up with a proper query.

By being condescending i hoped you would come up with a better query, you still haven't said what you like doing.

"Something exciting or different" for you may be humdrum for me or other posters on here, you haven't mentioned budget or how you will be travelling or anything at all that could help people help you.

Maybe I missed that part because you never stated it!

If everyone just raved about how brilliant their local area is how exactly would that help you, given the complete lack of detail you provided as to what you're interested in doing. I'm not going to write reams about Dublin until someone bothers coming up with a proper query.

By being condescending i hoped you would come up with a better query, you still haven't said what you like doing.

"Something exciting or different" for you may be humdrum for me or other posters on here, you haven't mentioned budget or how you will be travelling or anything at all that could help people help you.

Thank you, appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement