Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Workshop or facilities in Cork City

Options
  • 21-08-2012 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I did construction studies for the leaving cert 5 years ago, and since have gone on to do engineering in UCC. I'd a real love for the woodworking side of the subject but haven't gone near a woodworking project since.

Does anyone know of any facilities in the Cork city area such as a community workshop or anything like that, where equipment would be available for people looking to pursue the hobby to use?

Not having the money or the space for my own equipment means I've prevented from getting back into what was an incredibly enjoyable pastime!

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

In the end you will need to compile your own gear. Aldi or Lydl have some stuff. Get good metal for the cutting though and a sharpening stone for the chisels/planes - perhaps with a guide. It took me years and I couldn't afford it if I had to replace it, but it was half the fun. I even have a few old rebate planes that I picked up in junk shops. You will find yourself planning projects around the tools you have, but it will give you a better idea of the tools you want to get next as well. It beats smoking and the slower pace will stop the house filling up of "handy" items too quickly. Have to say, if I wasn't buying all the books, I wouldn't get to make all the shelves. Anyway - it beats smoking. Hope you stick with it. If you do stick with it, the best thing I can say to you is don't lend tools to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

+1 on the dont lend tools... I spent 6 hours sharpening my chisels and a very neat carpenter friend of mine left his on a job and needed some local without having to drive miles to get his own... moral of the story I really think he used my chisels to knock down a concrete wall and tried to say they were like that when he got them... (one could be used as a flat head screwdriver)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

slpower01 wrote: »
    +1 on the dont lend tools... I spent 6 hours sharpening my chisels and a very neat carpenter friend of mine left his on a job and needed some local without having to drive miles to get his own... moral of the story I really think he used my chisels to knock down a concrete wall and tried to say they were like that when he got them... (one could be used as a flat head screwdriver)

100% agree, never ever lend chisels, plains or handsaws. Lets be honest here, never lend tools. Also when it comes to carpenters and builders, they are the worst. My last job (unemployed for last few years) was with a tool hire company (Not going to name them) and there main tool for hire was Makita. Makita UK came over to us for training and told us that it was our company that they used to test how good there new tools were as they have found that Irish builders and carpenters, abused the tools harder than any other country in Europe.

I never even thought of fas... go into your local fas training centre and ask them, The one I served my first year of my apprenticeship with had well over €1,000,000's worth of the best machinery money can buy and I know these days they arent getting used as often so they might be running classes.... But as others have said buy as you need.... I have morticers, routers, router tables etc etc etc in my shed that ive used like once to try out and they use up a lot of room and cost a lot of money... its pointless buying something you MIGHT one day find a use for, Spesh when most things can be done just as good by hand and is a lot more enjoyable when done so (you feel more involved).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can do a lot of very rewarding work with very basic tools, I prefer to use a hand saw or plane to an electric as I'm in no hurry to finish my jobs, my work space is just a lean-to in my back garden and sometimes in the kitchen when the wife is out :D woodworking can be anything from a model boat in your bedroom to an ark in a field and both can be done with basic hand tools it's also a better way to get a feel for the different types of wood. You won't need to splash out on fancy tools till you have to make a living out of woodwork and need the job done quick till then take your time and enjoy, with a hammer, saw and a set of chisels the sky the limit.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    You can do a lot of very rewarding work with very basic tools, I prefer to use a hand saw or plane to an electric as I'm in no hurry to finish my jobs, my work space is just a lean-to in my back garden and sometimes in the kitchen when the wife is out :D woodworking can be anything from a model boat in your bedroom to an ark in a field and both can be done with basic hand tools it's also a better way to get a feel for the different types of wood. You won't need to splash out on fancy tools till you have to make a living out of woodwork and need the job done quick till then take your time and enjoy, with a hammer, saw and a set of chisels the sky the limit.
    Best of luck.

Agree 100% ... once you keep enjoying it, thats the main thing... nothing like planning a piece of timber to size using a hand plane..... (much better finish then many hand held electric ones!)

Advertisement